GDT: SCP Game 5| New York Islanders @ FLPanthers | April 22nd | 8:00 PM | F/2OT 2-1

Words Of Wisdom

Truth Speaker
Oct 20, 2011
Long Island.
Greiss really has been amazing this series. He's proven a ton to me.
Tavares has been an absolute beast. Don't forget both times when the team was struggling to find offense in the overtimes, he drew the penalties.
And what else can be said about Quine? Kid has a ton of heart and a wicked shot. One more game. One more win please.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
In Greiss we trust. So glad to find my concerns about his ability to handle a starting workload have proven to be utterly without merit.

TommytheCat

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
Think we all saw you, aisle seat, bald dude? Awesome to hear we had decent rep, you and the rest that showed up doing the fanbase proud...

lol no that wasn't me ... I was a few rows up ... actually some of the best seats I've ever had ... every game so far had a nice group of isles fans cheering the boys down in warm ups ... awesome time

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I thought Bernier looked good tonight. All that being said we really need to move Nelson to LW

nyisles

Apr 4, 2006
Western Suffolk
Probably the refs. He isn't doing his team any favors, because he's been telling them to **** off left, right and center all series.

Is it me or does Gallant look like he suffered decompression in a vacuum at some point in the past? Like, he accidentally got a crack in his helmet while he was on the moon or something.
I actually laughed out loud at this post :laugh:

And yes, I've never seen a coach do even remotely as much *****ing as Gallant. I wonder if he actually believes the Panthers never break any rules.

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002
I actually laughed out loud at this post :laugh:

And yes, I've never seen a coach do even remotely as much *****ing as Gallant. I wonder if he actually believes the Panthers never break any rules.

was he whining when clutterbuck was bloodied after an elbow in the face only for the refs to not make the call? just curious...

Pumpkin Pal

Oct 17, 2014
Bernier and Zid were both good tonight.

Prince has been good most of the series, a very pleasant surprise for sure.

Bailey still invisible and if I'm keeping Bernier in the lineup then Strome is back and Bailey's out.

Greiss keeps on trucking. Having the better goalie and best skater in a series covers up a lot of other flaws.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Woohoo...

I saw this game on delay. Love what Quine has shown thus far... looks very much like Frans Nielsen to me. Whereas an angry Gerard Gallant looks like homicidal uncle Fester!

Due to the lack of secondary scoring... the line combinations tonight were understandable. But it left Tavares less productive despite his excellent play. This game only further highlight the need find also the importance to find Tavares a quality line mate. The match up problems it could give opposing teams would go a long way.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Woohoo...

I saw this game on delay. Love what Quine has shown thus far... looks very much like Frans Nielsen to me. Whereas an angry Gerard Gallant looks like homicidal uncle Fester!

Due to the lack of secondary scoring... the line combinations tonight were understandable. But it left Tavares less productive despite his excellent play. This game only further highlight the need find also the importance to find Tavares a quality line mate. The match up problems it could give opposing teams would go a long way.

A lot of JTs issues tonight were because of KO with lazy clears, poor passes, and oh yeah the junior league moves that go nowhere.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
I really hate the way the Isles played this game and how Capuano deployed the line-up. They were very lucky to win this game, very lucky.

Greiss - wow. He saved the series.

The defense was generally good, defensively, but they did NOTHING to generate offense (except for a few Leddy rushes). Their first-pass was non-existent, they were overmatched physically by the Panthers, especially that first line.

Hickey was very good. He was the best puck-mover on the team today. Zidlicky worries me so much.

Tavares did NOTHING, but did draw a couple of penalties, including on the OT goal. The Islanders barely had the puck the whole game, couldn't generate any sustained pressure or complete two passes.

They really missed Pulock on the PP.

Kulemin is horrible on offense.

I'm torn because part of me thinks a lineup with Bernier, Kulemin DOES help prevent goals but there's zero chance for offense with these guys in the lineup. I'd have to think that a line of Nelson - Strome - Bailey will HAVE TO break out and score a goal or two at some point - NO?!?!

When you break-up Nielsen-Tavares-Okposo, the only line that was producing, you have all four lines that are outmatched. It happened all game. That line needs to be put back together - then instruct the others to just play defensively.

They were so lucky in game 5.

Nielsen - Tavares - Okposo
Martin - Cizikas - Clutterbuck
Prince - Quine - Kulemin
Nelson - Strome - Bailey/Bernier

I'm so glad they won but I felt Florida was the far better team.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
A lot of JTs issues tonight were because of KO with lazy clears, poor passes, and oh yeah the junior league moves that go nowhere.

Oh I know! I loved Tavares game tonight... My point is merely that this highlights how imperative it is to get Tavares line mates that can help execute. Not so much for getting Tavares empty points on his stat sheet. But because it would truly help the Islanders as a team with match ups.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Uncle Fester to me.

For some reason I feel like Gallant looks like he belongs in a Deputy Sheriffs outfit, I could so picture him walking up to ask for the license and registration with that ****** bag face of his.

Oh, wow! I saw the game on delay and have only now come on to to read this thread in reverse. But, I totally see the same thing with Gallant.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
I really hate the way the Isles played this game and how Capuano deployed the line-up. They were very lucky to win this game, very lucky.

Greiss - wow. He saved the series.

The defense was generally good, defensively, but they did NOTHING to generate offense (except for a few Leddy rushes). Their first-pass was non-existent, they were overmatched physically by the Panthers, especially that first line.

Hickey was very good. He was the best puck-mover on the team today. Zidlicky worries me so much.

Tavares did NOTHING, but did draw a couple of penalties, including on the OT goal. The Islanders barely had the puck the whole game, couldn't generate any sustained pressure or complete two passes.

They really missed Pulock on the PP.

Kulemin is horrible on offense.

I'm torn because part of me thinks a lineup with Bernier, Kulemin DOES help prevent goals but there's zero chance for offense with these guys in the lineup. I'd have to think that a line of Nelson - Strome - Bailey will HAVE TO break out and score a goal or two at some point - NO?!?!

When you break-up Nielsen-Tavares-Okposo, the only line that was producing, you have all four lines that are outmatched. It happened all game. That line needs to be put back together - then instruct the others to just play defensively.

They were so lucky in game 5.

Nielsen - Tavares - Okposo
Martin - Cizikas - Clutterbuck
Prince - Quine - Kulemin
Nelson - Strome - Bailey/Bernier

I'm so glad they won but I felt Florida was the far better team.

Couldn't agree more. Nelson reaks of a winger, he does not have the horsepower to play center in the NHL. He also isn't the fiercest back checker, I thought Bjugstad outclassed him when they were matched up against each other.

Kule caught a lot of crap on these boards since the series started and I think a lot of is unjustified. He hasn't wowed offensively but he also manages the puck pretty well, knowing when to buy time and chips it in the Panthers zone effectively, giving us the opportunity to retrieve the puck. Some others chip it in without much thought and by the time we get down low to retrieve the puck, the Cats are already flying into our zone.

Bernier knew his role and did his job, the C-Mac of this year. If he plays like that every night, I really don't mind him. He finishes his checks and works hard along the boards.

Bailey was pretty bad, did anyone see him fall flat on his face without incident? He really is a non-factor in the series. Intensity level is at a minimum and despite some of his clutch moments (historically), I will not miss him at all. I think he should sit for Strome, who I would like to see center a line between Quine and Prince.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Oh, wow! I saw the game on delay and have only now come on to to read this thread in reverse. But, I totally see the same thing with Gallant.

:laugh:, it's not a spitting image, but theres just this Aura around him, hard to explain but I guess I don't have to. He's definitely not easy on the eyes and he just has these moments where he looks like he's about to foam from the mouth.

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
Gallant:

kV6RiqV.png

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
My 2 cents..

Greiss was the true hero, some big saves, really showing something in the playoffs, growing as a player.

Team really needed the injection of Quine and Prince, they are giving them something they did not have.

Hudler.. wish we acquired him, we probably didn't acquire him because we thought Strome does the same thing... Hudler would have helped.

Agree about Nielsen just not being a center, wonder how he would do on a line with Nelson and Cizikas, that would be a very strong line.

Kulemin and Hickey played much better in this game.

Bailey is the weak link, like playing a softball game and you need the 9th player and you get the dad who is playing with his kid in the sandbox...

Zidlicky had big moments in this game.

Lastly, Capuano is become a very good coach before our eyes, even his post game analysis is a lot more intelligent...

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
My 2 cents..

Greiss was the true hero, some big saves, really showing something in the playoffs, growing as a player.

Team really needed the injection of Quine and Prince, they are giving them something they did not have.

Hudler.. wish we acquired him, we probably didn't acquire him because we thought Strome does the same thing... Hudler would have helped.

Agree about Nielsen just not being a center, wonder how he would do on a line with Nelson and Cizikas, that would be a very strong line.

Kulemin and Hickey played much better in this game.

Bailey is the weak link, like playing a softball game and you need the 9th player and you get the dad who is playing with his kid in the sandbox...

Zidlicky had big moments in this game.

Lastly, Capuano is become a very good coach before our eyes, even his post game analysis is a lot more intelligent...

Look, i'm far from his biggest fan but perhaps he just said "**** it" and is revealing a side of him we didn't know about. Between telling the kids to pick their **** up and giving the refs an ear full tonight, he may not be the pushover we've chalked him up to be. He also isn't Hitchcock or a Babcock either.

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
Look, i'm far from his biggest fan but perhaps he just said "**** it" and is revealing a side of him we didn't know about. Between telling the kids to pick their **** up and giving the refs an ear full tonight, he may not be the pushover we've chalked him up to be. He also isn't Hitchcock or a Babcock either.

I agree with the above....

Though I will say this; he's one win away from making the idea of him not getting fired look more like a bike ride with a bit of an uphill grade that I won't always enjoy and I know won't kick my ass, and less like a total tire fire.

If the Isles have enough success to play 7 or 8 more games, I'll not be able to say he didn't prove some kind of growth.

TommytheCat

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
saw a guy with a panther jersey with Potvin and # 5 on the back tonight at bbt ...strange ..... maybe his last name was Potvin

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
Bailey was exceptionally bad tonight BUT.... The irony is that he made a key dig to get it out to the point on Quine's goal which is the second time he has done that in an overtime win this series. Please don't get me wrong, he is bad!!! But credit where credit is due, he contributed at some key moments.

Bailey was pretty bad, did anyone see him fall flat on his face without incident? He really is a non-factor in the series. Intensity level is at a minimum and despite some of his clutch moments (historically), I will not miss him at all. I think he should sit for Strome, who I would like to see center a line between Quine and Prince.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad