GDT: SCP Game 3| Tampa Bay Lightning @ New York Islanders | May 3rd | 7:00 PM | F/OTL 5-4

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005
But truth be told, JT, Frans and KO have to be much better. They were all responsible for both 3rd period goals.

Very frustrating. Most brutal sporting event I have attended

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
But truth be told, JT, Frans and KO have to be much better. They were all responsible for both 3rd period goals.

Very frustrating. Most brutal sporting event I have attended

Must've sucked to have been there when they lost but I gotta tell you, for me this is the best game I've seen all playoffs. Result aside.

Excited for the rest of the series. This is playoff hockey.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Must've sucked to have been there when they lost but I gotta tell you, for me this is the best game I've seen all playoffs. Result aside.

Excited for the rest of the series. This is playoff hockey.

There were also no Lightning fans there. I couldn't spot a single one from my seat. I finally ran into a 3 TB fans during the 2nd intermission - I said to them "Welcome - you are literally the first fans I've seen so far." They responded "Well, our son plays for the Lightning...we're actually in from Ottawa." It was Slater Koekkoek's family.

Nice folk.

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005
Before the game, walking into BC, I told myself I am just happy the Isles won a round and are still playing....and wouldn't be pissed if we lost....But to lose in that fashion, that hurt real bad.

My wife wants me to go with her to Bieber tonight. Besides the fact that he is terrible, there is no chance I'm walking into the building one night after that loss

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Before the game, walking into BC, I told myself I am just happy the Isles won a round and are still playing....and wouldn't be pissed if we lost....But to lose in that fashion, that hurt real bad.

My wife wants me to go with her to Bieber tonight. Besides the fact that he is terrible, there is no chance I'm walking into the building one night after that loss

Wow - obstructed view for Bieber is going for $120 tonight. That's 3x the price of the Islanders last night.

Think he comes out in an Isles jersey? Talk about mis-reading the situation if he does.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005

I thought that Bieber fans went with their parents, not their husbands. :laugh:

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005
Lol!! She is a young 30.

229 is only slightly obstructed. I have season tix in row 2 and love my seats and my 15 min commute from midtown...the train ride back to Hicksville, not so much.

25yearfan

Aug 5, 2006
Wow - obstructed view for Bieber is going for $120 tonight. That's 3x the price of the Islanders last night.

Think he comes out in an Isles jersey? Talk about mis-reading the situation if he does.

They could charge extra for obstructed hearing seats...

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Fair enough. But I think at some point you have to give your offensive superstars a chance to pot one into the empty net.

I don't think its a matter of giving him the chance for an empty net - I think its more of a situation where you can't tell your best player that we don't trust you in crunch time. It simply won't fly. If he's your best player, you need to be able to rely on him. Last night it didn't work out unfortunately.

Poulin 0n My St1ck

Oct 18, 2010
There were also no Lightning fans there. I couldn't spot a single one from my seat. I finally ran into a 3 TB fans during the 2nd intermission - I said to them "Welcome - you are literally the first fans I've seen so far." They responded "Well, our son plays for the Lightning...we're actually in from Ottawa." It was Slater Koekkoek's family.

Nice folk.

I was sitting next to some guy in 225 who was the biggest ****ing ******* every time TB scored, especially the winner when he started screaming "yes yes yes." He was with his friend who was an Isles fan but, man, if he was in Philly, he would've gotten his **** rocked.

rollin109

Jun 21, 2007
I don't think its a matter of giving him the chance for an empty net - I think its more of a situation where you can't tell your best player that we don't trust you in crunch time. It simply won't fly. If he's your best player, you need to be able to rely on him. Last night it didn't work out unfortunately.

Best player fine...best defensive player no. To the contrary this is where a coach does tell his best player have a seat I'm putting my pk unit out for the last minute. When you need a goal it's fine to rely on him but this is a team and everyone has their role.

lovegun

Jul 5, 2013
Sault Ste Marie

I'd prefer an obstructed view seat, just so I couldn't see the little ******, then shove 10 pairs of earplugs in my ears, so I couldn't hear him :biglaugh: Most of us Canadians are embarrassed he's one of us, but it is what it is :banghead: Looking forward to the Islanders evening this series Friday night :yo:

MetsJetsIsles22

Oct 27, 2013
Best player fine...best defensive player no. To the contrary this is where a coach does tell his best player have a seat I'm putting my pk unit out for the last minute. When you need a goal it's fine to rely on him but this is a team and everyone has their role.

this...a coach should give his best players a chance to win the game, not lose the game.

we were winning- you do what you need to do in order to put your shutdown guys out there. if we needed a goal, obviously you roll your 1st line, but not in this case.

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
I was sitting next to some guy in 225 who was the biggest ****ing ******* every time TB scored, especially the winner when he started screaming "yes yes yes." He was with his friend who was an Isles fan but, man, if he was in Philly, he would've gotten his **** rocked.

I don't think I'd have the strength to not threaten their lives in that situation, especially in the middle of a fit of rage that we just blew that game

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005

They had the goalie pulled for about 2 1/2 minutes. Would you not give Tavares a single shift during that time? I'd bet there would be a huge uproar if that was the case and TB scored. 'Why didn't Cappy put his best player out there to ice it?!" "LMAO Cappy benching Tavares and playing Quine instead!"

PotvinsCups4

Apr 30, 2016
EXACTLY! Tavares had no business being out there in that final minute. This reminded me of how Al would never have Pierre Turgeon out for 3rd period important defensive zone draws. it was either travis green or tommy fitzgerald. I have stuck up for cappy for many years, but this was his fault

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
That was a tough game and the style of play is getting away from Islander hockey very quickly.

Hickey is a smurf and playoff hockey is not conducive to smaller dmen, on the other hand Zidlicky is not really doing much either, in this series we have to shift a bit to a more defensive style and Pelech should be suiting up.

I like Steve Bernier's energy but there are guy that we have had (Hibbert, Sim, Nate Thompson) that will do nothing magical when the puck is on their stick, so Bernier getting to loose pucks is nice but it is a turnover when he gets it, this series requires Strome on the ice, if this was Washington or Pittsburgh you may want Bernier over Strome.

JT on the ice at the end, just an awful move, he is the worst defensive forward on the team, we don't need an empty net goal. That cost us the game.

DeHaan is not looking that good this season, he is the next Girardi/AMac, he lives to block shots and those players go downhill fast.

Kulemin is a turnover machine

I think we bounce back and win the next 3 games somehow

Palfmeister

Oct 2, 2011
That was a tough game and the style of play is getting away from Islander hockey very quickly.

Hickey is a smurf and playoff hockey is not conducive to smaller dmen, on the other hand Zidlicky is not really doing much either, in this series we have to shift a bit to a more defensive style and Pelech should be suiting up.

I like Steve Bernier's energy but there are guy that we have had (Hibbert, Sim, Nate Thompson) that will do nothing magical when the puck is on their stick, so Bernier getting to loose pucks is nice but it is a turnover when he gets it, this series requires Strome on the ice, if this was Washington or Pittsburgh you may want Bernier over Strome.

JT on the ice at the end, just an awful move, he is the worst defensive forward on the team, we don't need an empty net goal. That cost us the game.

Hi

DeHaan is not looking that good this season, he is the next Girardi/AMac, he lives to block shots and those players go downhill fast.

Kulemin is a turnover machine

I think we bounce back and win the next 3 games somehow

Hickey has played very well in the playoffs. Man some people just have no ability to think for themselves.

I'll leave you with this!!!!

http://dailycaller.com/2016/05/04/nhl-player-gets-wrecked-by-massive-hit-video/

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
The RIGHT thing to do was put the Neilsen line on and not JT/KO.

Wasn't there a whistle before JT and KO came on? If yes, I would have called a time out then and let the 4th line rest.

yes, this isn't rocket science... you put a defensive oriented line like Frans/Bailey/Kulemin out there

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
By the way, does anyone here actually advocate BENCHING John Tavares for the last 2.5 minutes of a game when the other team pulls their goalie? I understand not having him out there for the PK but he's your franchise player, the most offensively gifted player on the team, one of the best faceoff men on the team. And you're not gonna give him ONE shift with an empty net? Come 'on.

I never want to see JT out there with the EN situation until he takes it upon himself to become a good defensive player. It's a big and correctable flaw in his game. There are plenty of other great offensive players who learned to PK and play solid D. If he wants the looks at a stat padding Goal he should earn the time. The faceoffs are the only decent reason to have him out there.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County

Fair enough. But I think at some point you have to give your offensive superstars a chance to pot one into the empty net.

Just because tavares is a great offensive player doesn't mean he's the most capable of getting the puck out of our zone and down ice. Empty Net goals aren't the same as other goals.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
I never want to see JT out there with the EN situation until he takes it upon himself to become a good defensive player. It's a big and correctable flaw in his game. There are plenty of other great offensive players who learned to PK and play solid D. If he wants the looks at a stat padding Goal he should earn the time. The faceoffs are the only decent reason to have him out there.

JT makes some great defensive (really offensive) plays in the O-Zone. He can swipe a puck from a D-Man on the forecheck and turn it into a scoring opportunity, but he is not Kopitar or Toews and to put him in that sort of role is shortsighted.

Up 1 goal , looking at an empty net, I want Leddy, Hamonic, Cizikas, Nielsen and Clutterbuck out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad