GDT: SCP Game 3| Tampa Bay Lightning @ New York Islanders | May 3rd | 7:00 PM | F/OTL 5-4

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
I guess no one saw Kulemin halpng two GA's happen with shoddy play?

I'd rather Strait play forward than what I saw of Kulemin last night. No joke.

Him, Nelson, and Okposo were disgustingly bad. I wish we had forwards to call up and replace some of them. We're better off running 7 D and playing one of them on forward.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
So none of us can agree on whether a timeout should have been called nor can we agree on who should've been out on the ice.

Yet, "Cappy sucks! The worst coach in pro sports! What a dumb, egregious mistake!"

lol

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
So none of us can agree on whether a timeout should have been called nor can we agree on who should've been out on the ice.

Yet, "Cappy sucks! The worst coach in pro sports! What a dumb, egregious mistake!"

lol
Blitz got it right....you have to defend, you don't call a timeout and let TB plan an attack but rather try to hurry the faceoff and dump it out of the zone any way possible. Get them off offense and out chasing the puck and hope for a steal/shot at the EN.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Good point.

So, I believe these are the sequence of events.

1. 4th line comes off after a shift
2. JT's line hops on
3. Isles ice it right away.

Capuano cannot change lines and, since his line is fresh, doesn't feel the need to call timeout.

This is wrong.

1. Isles iced puck at 2:11 and 1:47 and 1:40 (keep in mind TB changed O at 2:36 during a whistle)
2. 4th line is out @ 1:47
3. Isles change to 1st line at 1:13ish, but TB lines STAY ON
4. Goal at 38 seconds.

So to all those complaining about the lack of TO, where does he take one?

The bigger is issue is Martin/Clutter failed to get the puck deep when it was in the neutral zone, thus TB got control and reset all 5 guys at their blueline.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Not exactly sure what you're trying to say here :help:

Sorry - didn't express my thoughts very well! :laugh:

What I meant was that the initial reaction on this board was that Cappy sucks! And that the tying goal was all on him based on not calling a TO and having wrong skaters out there. Yet, when you really break it down and look at how the events unfolded, we can't come to a consensus as to what the "right thing" to do was.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site

lol

There was never a play stoppage to take a timeout - that's a fact. So, those that are faulting the coach for NOT taking one are, as a result, wanting the Isles to ice or freeze the puck SOLELY to take one when the puck was in the neutral zone - that's a BIZARRE move.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site

What I meant was that the initial reaction on this board was that Cappy sucks! And that the tying goal was all on him based on not calling a TO and having wrong skaters out there. Yet, when you really break it down and look at how the events unfolded, we can't come to a consensus as to what the "right thing" to do was.

All the commentary I have read/heard is that the Isles blew the coverage that led to the goal.

There was no opportunity for the Isles to play the 4th line the rest of the game as that would put them out there for about 2 minutes. No play stoppage to call a timeout. So, the only result is ANOTHER line should have been out there according to the 'fans' or covering your man that scored according to the 'media' - I'll go with the latter.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
This is wrong.

1. Isles iced puck at 2:11 and 1:47 and 1:40 (keep in mind TB changed O at 2:36 during a whistle)
2. 4th line is out @ 1:47
3. Isles change to 1st line at 1:13ish, but TB lines STAY ON
4. Goal at 38 seconds.

So to all those complaining about the lack of TO, where does he take one?

The bigger is issue is Martin/Clutter failed to get the puck deep when it was in the neutral zone, thus TB got control and reset all 5 guys at their blueline.

I see you got the Zapruder film. ;)

Thanks for this. At what point did TB reset all 5 guys?

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
I see you got the Zapruder film. ;)

Thanks for this. At what point did TB reset all 5 guys?

haha! I just needed to lay out the events so people can see there was no whistle for a timeout. re: TB 5 guys, hard to tell, but looks like mostly the same crew from 2:36 onward, mainly because of the Isles icings that gave TB breathing room and no need to change. Bishop went to the bench at 2:11 so another guy came on.

If that blog that did the hickey FL OT winner step by step on how the Isles won it, did it for this sequence, it will show the Isles blew their coverage.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I actually predicted the Tampa goal, as soon as their net was empty, the NBCSN stream got choppy and cut out, I aborted the session and reopened it, as you know, when you do this you have to view a commercial. I turned to my girlfriend and said "By the time this comes back on, the Lightning will be celebrating"

Nelson is garbage and has been all playoffs, trade him coming off a 25G season, he is poor mans Thomas Vanek, a cherrypicking, uninspired sloth.

CDH is a bottom pairing defensemen, a case of lipstick on pig the whole season. Just because he was slotted into OUR top4 does not make him a top 4 defensemen. He has a cult following around here and I don't know why. His game is nothing special at all, he was touted as someone with offensive ability, he made like 2 highlight reel plays in the 13-14 season and has done squat since. Play in our zone is nothing to write home over either.

We won a round so we're over that hump, but the deficiencies have been magnified. If this team wants to be competitive for the next few years, they need to rid themselves of these overrated young guys whose ceiling is an average NHL player (if they decide to start playing).

A little premature pigeon holing a 24 year old D man. They take more time to develop; I give him another year, then we assess whether we have a true top 4, or another bottom pairing.

Agreed about Nelson, you could parlay him in a package, e.g. winger for JT or another top 4 D man.

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005

The RIGHT thing to do was put the Neilsen line on and not JT/KO.

Wasn't there a whistle before JT and KO came on? If yes, I would have called a time out then and let the 4th line rest.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
The RIGHT thing to do was put the Neilsen line on and not JT/KO.

Wasn't there a whistle before JT and KO came on? If yes, I would have called a time out then and let the 4th line rest.

Apparently (according to Blitz) there was a whistle at 1:40. When the Isles iced it and the 4th line was very fresh. 4th line replaced by JT's line at 1:13.

And wasn't Neilsen out there with JT and KO on that line?

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005
Apparently (according to Blitz) there was a whistle at 1:40. When the Isles iced it and the 4th line was very fresh. 4th line replaced by JT's line at 1:13.

And wasn't Neilsen out there with JT and KO on that line?

Yes. OK. So there was no whistle. No TO.

I wasn't killing Cappy on the TO. My point was WHY would you put JT and KO with Frans??? They both don't play D. Also, Bailey, Kuley and Frans were playing well as a line all game. No excuse for that.:rant:

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
By the way, does anyone here actually advocate BENCHING John Tavares for the last 2.5 minutes of a game when the other team pulls their goalie? I understand not having him out there for the PK but he's your franchise player, the most offensively gifted player on the team, one of the best faceoff men on the team. And you're not gonna give him ONE shift with an empty net? Come 'on.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005

Yes. OK. So there was no whistle. No TO.

I wasn't killing Cappy on the TO. My point was WHY would you put JT and KO with Frans??? They both don't play D. Also, Bailey, Kuley and Frans were playing well as a line all game. No excuse for that.:rant:

I dunno... There are people in this very thread heavily criticizing Kulemin for his performance last night. And am I hearing someone say that Bailey should have been one of the obvious choices for when the game is on the line??!! Wow. That's different. :)

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
If the game is on the line and Frans, KO and JT are on the ice with the empty net, I'm not screaming at the coach to get them off the ice. Just sayin... You could do a lot worse than those three.

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005
I dunno... There are people in this very thread heavily criticizing Kulemin for his performance last night. And am I hearing someone say that Bailey should have been one of the obvious choices for when the game is on the line??!! Wow. That's different. :)

Advocating for that entire line. We were down 6 on 5. Nielsen and Kuli kill penalties, block shots etc...

JT and KO don't. I do understand he warned to Centers out in case one got tossed. Just don't see the logic in putting your 2 poorest defensive players out there.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Advocating for that entire line. We were down 6 on 5. Nielsen and Kuli kill penalties, block shots etc...

JT and KO don't. I do understand he warned to Centers out in case one got tossed. Just don't see the logic in putting your 2 poorest defensive players out there.

I understand. But to me, 6-5 EN is different from a traditional PK. Would you really bench Tavares for the last 2 1/2 minutes?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad