Confirmed with Link: Scott Morrow

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
and @chaz4hockey (so I don't have to quote both messages). Doesn't make sense though based on my understanding (which could be wrong). I thought it was 4 years, not based on graduation.

EDIT: Looks like I may be wrong based on my next post about the CBA?

@Lempo ?
I always did think that pretty automatically means 4 years, but I understand it can be 5 in some cases, and as they word it like this instead of saying 4, I guess it might be possible to skip a year if you study hard. And it looks like this exactly is what CBA is saying.

It would be silly to make a player wait the extra year if he indeed graduated a year early.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I always did think that pretty automatically means 4 years, but I understand it can be 5 in some cases, and as they word it like this instead of saying 4, I guess it might be possible to skip a year if you study hard. And it looks like this exactly is what CBA is saying.

It would be silly to make a player wait the extra year if he indeed graduated a year early.
Huh, had no idea of that wrinkle, but it does seem to be correct that he'd be eligible a year early if he graduates early. And when I was looking at Capfriendly while we were waiting for the signing, they had him as UFA in August of 2025 as well. When you hit rules even Capfriendly is unfamiliar with...

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Surprised at Rod flat out saying this soon that he'll get a game, but very excited to see him play. I think the team (Rod included) is higher on him than many of us here. Wouldn't be surprised if they're already planning on him being in our top 6 to start next year.
I think it has to do with that 5gp 25k bonus. it was there for a reason.

I'd say just hold him out vs Bruins and put him in for the Jackets, Blues and Caps games.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Surprised at Rod flat out saying this soon that he'll get a game, but very excited to see him play. I think the team (Rod included) is higher on him than many of us here. Wouldn't be surprised if they're already planning on him being in our top 6 to start next year.
Morrow's contract structure for this year suggest very strongly that he is expected to be given the five games to get the $25k bonus money, obviously subject to his being able to handle the NHL game. Rod's statement is very much in line with this.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Huh, had no idea of that wrinkle, but it does seem to be correct that he'd be eligible a year early if he graduates early. And when I was looking at Capfriendly while we were waiting for the signing, they had him as UFA in August of 2025 as well. When you hit rules even Capfriendly is unfamiliar with...
I don't think it is a common occurence at all that an NCAA guy does his college in three years. Some five year cases I believe I have heard. But, the CBA wording is kind of clear: if the guy says at the beginning of year three that this is the year he's gonna graduate, then that is what it is. One could guess they have to do some paperwork every year where this question is asked.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
It makes sense. If he graduates but doesn’t have an nhl contract then where will he play? It’s not like he can still play for his college team if he isn’t a student.

This is a rare situation, how did he graduate so quickly anyhow?

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
It makes sense. If he graduates but doesn’t have an nhl contract then where will he play? It’s not like he can still play for his college team if he isn’t a student.

High schools offering dual enrollment in college courses at a local university or community college or lots of APs. I'd be surprised to see an athlete going that route with their time commitments, but those options have become reasonably common these days for advanced high school students. I did my degree in 3 years with dual enrollment in high school, and could have done it in two without a detour through a different major that required a bunch of classes not applicable to my eventual degree.

You can also still take summer semester classes. If you don't take summer breaks, you can finish a degree in 2 and a half years. Hang out with all the military guys who don't get a summer break because they're drawing a US Government salary while going to school.

It's not actually uncommon to finish degrees early, but it seems pretty unusual for athletes to do it.

Reactions: DaveG and Lempo

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
Morrow's contract structure for this year suggest very strongly that he is expected to be given the five games to get the $25k bonus money, obviously subject to his being able to handle the NHL game. Rod's statement is very much in line with this.
And given that the team is realistically (if not literally) going to be no lower than M2 there is little risk in given him the games from a team perspective.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
High schools offering dual enrollment in college courses at a local university or community college or lots of APs. I'd be surprised to see an athlete going that route with their time commitments, but those options have become reasonably common these days for advanced high school students. I did my degree in 3 years with dual enrollment in high school, and could have done it in two without a detour through a different major that required a bunch of classes not applicable to my eventual degree.

You can also still take summer semester classes. If you don't take summer breaks, you can finish a degree in 2 and a half years. Hang out with all the military guys who don't get a summer break because they're drawing a US Government salary while going to school.

It's not actually uncommon to finish degrees early, but it seems pretty unusual for athletes to do it.
I don't know what his degree is but if it's some "joke" degree as many top college athletes get, he could easily take a few online summer classes each year which require very little time commitment and not even have to forego a summer break. Well, this is if he knows how to game the system with those bullshit classes. Plus not to mention how much easier the academic load is for an athlete compared to average student. They get significant leeway in grading, etc. in many cases. Just the reality.

And given that the team is realistically (if not literally) going to be no lower than M2 there is little risk in given him the games from a team perspective.
M2 (at minimum) is indeed clinched and has been for a little while now.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I don't know what his degree is but if it's some "joke" degree as many top college athletes get, he could easily take a few online summer classes each year which require very little time commitment and not even have to forego a summer break. Well, this is if he knows how to game the system with those bullshit classes. Plus not to mention how much easier the academic load is for an athlete compared to average student. They get significant leeway in grading, etc. in many cases. Just the reality.

M2 (at minimum) is indeed clinched and has been for a little while now.
Psychology. Not exactly quantum physics but also not some joke major like we see a lot of athletes get pushed into. I can tell you that trying to even consider doing something like pharmacy school while being an athlete (albeit it would have been as a walk-on in my case) is basically impossible. And in his case doing psychology in 3 years is pretty damn impressive because there's not a lot of overlap in course offerings in the AP curricula that would be core classes in that major, meaning what AP classes he did take outside of maybe bio would have been electives toward the degree.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina

my niece graduated from UNC Wilmington with a masters in accounting and bs in business before she turned 21, she graduated high school early with an associates.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I don’t remember any talk about Fox being a UFA after his junior year. I believe he got his degree in 3 years
We should consult @mouser

Based on post number 48 in this thread, does it mean Morrow would have been a UFA at the end of this season because he graduated? Or should rookies like us (Lempo not included) stay out of CBA stuff?

Reactions: Unsustainable

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Psychology. Not exactly quantum physics but also not some joke major like we see a lot of athletes get pushed into. I can tell you that trying to even consider doing something like pharmacy school while being an athlete (albeit it would have been as a walk-on in my case) is basically impossible. And in his case doing psychology in 3 years is pretty damn impressive because there's not a lot of overlap in course offerings in the AP curricula that would be core classes in that major, meaning what AP classes he did take outside of maybe bio would have been electives toward the degree.
Ehhhhh it's not far removed though. Having had several friends go in for Psych, if you're not getting your PhD, double-majoring it, or getting it as a supplemental degree (Masters), it's not really worth much on its own as an undergrad degree.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Or he might actually be smart, it does occasionally happen. And if he was on the athletics bullshit classes plan, they'd string him out to do 4 years instead of 3 and they wouldn't have him doing summer courses, because NCAA play is the entire point of that, not allowing them to finish faster. The schools flat out don't want athletes to finish faster.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Or he might actually be smart, it does occasionally happen. And if he was on the athletics bullshit classes plan, they'd string him out to do 4 years instead of 3 and they wouldn't have him doing summer courses, because NCAA play is the entire point of that, not allowing them to finish faster. The schools flat out don't want athletes to finish faster.
Oh to be clear I wasn’t saying he’s not smart. Quite the opposite. You have to be smart to game the system to graduate early without putting in extra effort. He could make his own academic plan, and still have it easier than other normal students. Athletes are treated differently.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad