Rumor: Scott Arniel "virtual lock" to join Jets' coaching staff as associate coach.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Kaplan's quote on it is "However, several people in the league have suggested to me they wouldn't be surprised if there's a side deal already in place for Trotz to coach in Vegas. That's just the way the Golden Knights do business."

So not quite she's heard he's already signed, but that people in the league have suggested they wouldn't be surprised if they don't have a deal. Sounds like idle chatter, the kind Friedman and Dreger put out as well. I'm sure Vegas is involved.

Yeah my bad. Still stand by the assertion that they are all juat throwing shit against the wall with regards to what is going on with Trotz. I doubt anyone has a clue which way he's leaning.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Yeah my bad. Still stand by the assertion that they are all juat throwing shit against the wall with regards to what is going on with Trotz. I doubt anyone has a clue which way he's leaning.

Yeah I was essentially backing up what you were saying. It's just rumour mongering right now.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
murat thinks jets had conversations about what a staff could look like with trotz and doesn't believe there is any way they get this far with arniel if it would cause trotz to walk, there will be other spots and who ever we hire will have influence on it, he beleives it's trotz job if he wants it and he's #1 on the list

Nov 24, 2006
murat thinks jets had conversations about what a staff could look like with trotz and doesn't believe there is any way they get this far with arniel if it would cause trotz to walk, there will be other spots and who ever we hire will have influence on it, he beleives it's trotz job if he wants it and he's #1 on the list
Is that the writer for The Athletic? I think he's pretty informed about the Jets isn't he. And not prone to rumour and drama.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015

for those who want the video

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
The main reason I want Trotz to take the job is that we'll never hear the end of it if he doesn't and the team doesn't turn into an instant contender next season.

for those who want the video

They probably talked a bit about the sort of people they were thinking of bringing in and got Trotz' thoughts about whether that sounded like the right direction. Or else they asked who he thought he might be able to bring with him and are working around that with other hires.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
This should have been obvious to anyone with even half of a thinking brain. The most likely scenario is in the Trotz interview TNSE floated who else they wanted on staff and Trotz was supportive of having that type of asset to his assistant coaching staff under him. The Jets signing Arniel is most likely a demonstration on their desire to put the best possible staff in place to help land Trotz.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
This should have been obvious to anyone with even half of a thinking brain. The most likely scenario is in the Trotz interview TNSE floated who else they wanted on staff and Trotz was supportive of having that type of asset to his assistant coaching staff under him. The Jets signing Arniel is most likely a demonstration on their desire to put the best possible staff in place to help land Trotz.

Absolutely correct, Barry is the #1 coach out there right now that’s available by a wide margin, Jets aren’t going to do anything that would negatively impact him signing with the Jets, heck Barry might of endorsed the guy so Chevy might being doing to draw Barry even more here

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Absolutely correct, Barry is the #1 coach out there right now that’s available by a wide margin, Jets aren’t going to do anything that would negatively impact him signing with the Jets, heck Barry might of endorsed the guy so Chevy might being doing to draw Barry even more here
Trotz …looks intently at Cheveldayoff “Look unless Arniel is signed , sealed , and delivered I’m out”
Either side of this announcement is a bit puzzling why it doesn’t come until after the head coach is announced.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Trotz …looks intently at Cheveldayoff “Look unless Arniel is signed , sealed , and delivered I’m out”
Either side of this announcement is a bit puzzling why it doesn’t come until after the head coach is announced.
well trotz is going to take his time and if they like arniel and wanted him regardless of trotz accepting the job it's better to get it done and not risk him going somewhere else

Reactions: Bladerunner62

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

Let’s not go the route of hyperbole.

Chevy might of said, Barry we have a short list of asst coaches on our list (as already posted that’s very common in the NHL), what do you think of these names? Barry might of said I’ve heard nothing but good things about Arniel or maybe he knows the guy even. So Chevy might hire the guy thinking this will make the job even more attractive to Barry and even if Barry doesn’t take the job Barry endorsement is a good thing.

Why do people here automatically jump to worse case or Wild conclusions with no reasoning. So many good posters have been chased away by the negativity around here it only makes our board worse place. Pretty sad when good posters choose Twitter bc it’s less negative then our board.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
It will be interesting to see where Barry chooses to go. Sounds like TNSE are putting their best foot forward and are all in. I can’t ask for more than that. Hopefully this isn’t like the Mark Stone situation where we seemed all in but it was not to be. That is the last time I let myself get a bit too excited about adding a key piece that I thought would have a “major” impact on our franchise.

I believe Trotz would instantly improve this team and get everyone on the same page. If Barry’s is in I don’t worry about who we bring back because he will be the boss, he will sell his plan, and it will work.

I would be lying to you if I didn’t admit I will be really disappointed if we don’t land him but life will go on.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
It will be interesting to see where Barry chooses to go. Sounds like TNSE are putting their best foot forward and are all in. I can’t ask for more than that. Hopefully this isn’t like the Mark Stone situation where we seemed all in but it was not to be. That is the last time I let myself get a bit too excited about adding a key piece that I thought would have a “major” impact on our franchise.

I believe Trotz would instantly improve this team and get everyone on the same page. If Barry’s is in I don’t worry about who we bring back because he will be the boss, he will sell his plan, and it will work.

I would be lying to you if I didn’t admit I will be really disappointed if we don’t land him but life will go on.
For me, I think Trotz would make a difference culturally to the team. But it's a business, and nobody really knows what Trotz is looking for. If he wants to be a legend, and win more Cups he probably goes somewhere other than Winnipeg. Front office? I don't know where the best landing spot would be. In a way it would be good to have Trotz take over for Chevy, as Chevy has dodged some pretty major controversy in his time.

But if we don't get him, I'm looking at Alain Vigneault as plan B. He coached with Arniel in New York, a team that went to the Cup (and lost) and the Conference Finals back to back. He's been to the Cup more than Trotz, having lost in his first gig with some shittacular goaltending by Luongo is games 6 and 7. He's got a better career winning % as a coach.

I think there's some interesting options on the table.

Seems like Trotz will be the first domino, though.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
It wasn’t an announcement it was a leak. As far as I know nothing as yet to be announced.
I was just being playful there.
Arniel as an assistant doesn’t bother me.
The leak is annoying for sure, however someone is telling tales from the organization out of school likely.
As far as Trotz it would be nice but I’m not focusing on him being the ONE otherwise I’d be setting myself up to be really disappointed possibly.
As long as the coaches can reign this group in it’s all good.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
For me, I think Trotz would make a difference culturally to the team. But it's a business, and nobody really knows what Trotz is looking for. If he wants to be a legend, and win more Cups he probably goes somewhere other than Winnipeg. Front office? I don't know where the best landing spot would be. In a way it would be good to have Trotz take over for Chevy, as Chevy has dodged some pretty major controversy in his time.

But if we don't get him, I'm looking at Alain Vigneault as plan B. He coached with Arniel in New York, a team that went to the Cup (and lost) and the Conference Finals back to back. He's been to the Cup more than Trotz, having lost in his first gig with some shittacular goaltending by Luongo is games 6 and 7. He's got a better career winning % as a coach.

I think there's some interesting options on the table.

Seems like Trotz will be the first domino, though.

Lebrun's recent article about coaching candidates suggested that maybe Vigneault doesn't coach in the NHL anymore. He's still bring paid by thr Flyers and he'll be in his mid 60s when that expires. Maybe he doesn't want to coach anymore.

Reactions: hn777 and ps241

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
Chevy's own connection to True North was probably through Butch Goring who also had very close ties to Trotz.

Dig deep enough and you'll find connections, whether they mattered or not is anyone's guess though. For example Paul Maurice coached Chevy's former teammate Travis Green in Toronto in 06-07 :laugh:
GM of Chicago Wolves from the old IHL/AHL days. And Zinger was the equipment manager when he was in Brandon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad