Rumor: Scott Arniel "virtual lock" to join Jets' coaching staff as associate coach.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
This is not a serious organization. This increasingly looks like a play room and jobs program for Chipman and his buddies. I am not opposed to Arniel as part of the coaching staff but to have that "locked" before you've even hired a head coach is just such a bad look and really shows who is calling the shots here.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Strange.

Might not mean we're out on Trotz. If he wants a few years of coaching then management position it makes sense for the Jets to have their next HC in place and working with Trotz.

Or they need to replace their True North loyalty quota with Huddy gone lol.

Reactions: macmaroon

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

So much for the Jets next coach being able to choose their own associate coaches. Murat goes on to suggest that if the Jets do land Barry Trotz, this could be part of a succession plan to groom Scott Arniel for the head coaching job while Trotz gets primed for management role.

Why we even thinking about a "succession plan" for the head coach to follow the next head coach which will happen at the bare minimum 2-3 years from now or longer? The NHL could be totally different by that time and it seems silly to plan that far ahead.

I am not sure where this Soviet Politburo esque years in advance central planning is coming from.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
So whoever comes in as head coach is a secondary hire or how does this organization think?
Quick sign Scott as an assistant before he gets scooped!?!
This front office sometimes.

Strange.

Might not mean we're out on Trotz. If he wants a few years of coaching then management position it makes sense for the Jets to have their next HC in place and working with Trotz.

Or they need to replace their True North loyalty quota with Huddy gone lol.
Or conversely we are out on Trotz
Who knows
Odd procedure seemingly

This is where local media should be asking questions

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
My hope is the Jets talked to Trotz and he said Arniel would be a good assistant coach otherwise this does seem a little odd.

They wouldn't need to consult with Barry Trotz on this. They have plenty of history with Scott Arneil. That's the issue - hiring buddies again. He had success with the Manitoba Moose, and has been part of two high quality organizations since his departure from Columbus' coaching staff. I'm getting tired of it feeling like the coach has no say in who they hire and work with.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I'm not passing judgment yet. Maybe Arniel is a good assistant. He had a good run with the Rangers. Not sure how he would rate among special teams coaches. I'm thinking Trotz is going to get paid more than the Jets are comfortable with, in the business, and the Jets look elsewhere.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
If the Jets are getting Trotz and Trotz is only here for two to three years before moving up to management then it makes sense that the org would get to hand pick his successor.

Arniel is far from my first choice for that but he's been an associate coach on the Rangers while they were competing for cups not that long ago and was part of the Caps organization recently. Past ties to the org or not he has a strong track record of an assistant/associate coach so I don't see an issue here.

Curious to know who we are going to name head coach if Trotz elects not to sign with us. Seems Arniel isn't that guy which I'm good with.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
If the Jets are getting Trotz and Trotz is only here for two to three years before moving up to management then it makes sense that the org would get to hand pick his successor.

I get that Trotz is in the twilight of his coaching career and he may not have long left. But if his commitment is only going to be for as little as two years... well, one could make an argument that we could just skip right ahead to Arniel. I'd hope Trotz signs on for 5 years which will be enough time to really mold the the team properly. Two years is basically an interim role IMO.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I get that Trotz is in the twilight of his coaching career and he may not have long left. But if his commitment is only going to be for as little as two years... well, one could make an argument that we could just skip right ahead to Arniel. I'd hope Trotz signs on for 5 years which will be enough time to really mold the the team properly. Two years is basically an interim role IMO.

If the rumors of wanting to move into management 2 years would be great. 3 probably best. We're gonna need a big retool then anyways.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I’ve asked this several times to various media but I’ll post it here:

What qualities does Scott Arniel possess that makes him this high of a priority to TNSE to hire?

As an assistant/associate coach he's been in the playoffs 8 of the last 9 years. That includes one finals appearance and a conference finals appearance.

As an AHL coach he lead the Moose to the finals 2008-2009. He also made the playoffs each year he was a head coach for the Moose.

Let's not act like there isn't some good pedigree here.

The only blemish on his resume is that he fell on his face in his first NHL head coaching gig. He wouldn't be the first up and coming coach for that to happen to though. It happened to hlguys like Gallant, and Cassidy as well and they are excellent NHL head coaches.

It fits our window though and he likely brings a lot to our org as a manager as well. We can compete for the next two with an elite coach and then retool after with a younger coach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad