Scoring Depth Issues

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Willie now has zero points in 7 of 9 games since he signed. Now 12 points behind Pasta and on pace for 106 points. Clearly Tre should have waited longer or given him his last offer and told him to call me back if you can't find a better deal. So far Tre has sucked at contract negotiations.

Good: Benoit, Gregor, Jones
Bad: Reaves, Bert, Klingberg, Kampf, Matty, Willie
TBD: Domi, Sammy
Nylander have had fantastic help from Tavares and Bert in that regard. If Nylander struggle that whole line struggle. When Tavares and Nylander start to struggle Keefe should make changes right away. Spilt them up. Not wait 10 games. And he should demote Tavares to third line. Keefes prioritys are wacked.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
You also have to consider that he's still getting and generating lots of chances. He and JT are tied for second in shots over that span, which is only one fewer that Matty. Willy has four points, while JT has nothing but one tip in on the PP, and Bert has just two assists.
True but my eyes tell me he was much more dominant before signing. He slumped a bit in January so this could be a similar slump. Let's see how he comes out after the All Star break.

Reactions: arso40

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
You also have to consider that he's still getting and generating lots of chances. He and JT are tied for second in shots over that span, which is only one fewer that Matty. Willy has four points, while JT has nothing but one tip in on the PP, and Bert has just two assists.
Cool. We paid him 11 million for chances and not results. That's cool

Nylander have had fantastic help from Tavares and Bert in that regard. If Nylander struggle that whole line struggle. When Tavares and Nylander start to struggle Keefe should make changes right away. Spilt them up. Not wait 10 games. And he should demote Tavares to third line. Keefes prioritys are wacked.
Because Willie can't drive a line all by himself Even though he's asked for the kind of money that people who can drive the line all by themselves ask for

• Haha

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
Willie now has zero points in 7 of 9 games since he signed. Now 12 points behind Pasta and on pace for 106 points. Clearly Tre should have waited longer or given him his last offer and told him to call me back if you can't find a better deal. So far Tre has sucked at contract negotiations.

Good: Benoit, Gregor, Jones
Bad: Reaves, Bert, Klingberg, Kampf, Matty, Willie
TBD: Domi, Sammy
Matty bad? Naw. At the absolute most he's overpaid by 750k. The fact he's remaining a Leaf is good for me.

Him, Rielly, and Willy are the only ones who I think have what it takes to hit the level we need them to in order to win. He maybe hasn't hit it at the right time yet but he certainly has it. With him on the team we have a chance. Very very very far from a bad contract imo.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
My humble opinion, but I think you are giving too much credit to the other teams in the conference. Who are these powerhouses you see? The Leafs are a handful of points behind the Rangers, Panthers and Hurricanes, and I don't see any world-beaters in that group. If people still think Boston is a Cup contender after their playoff results over the last 5 or 6 years, which are only marginally better than the Leafs' results over that period, then I think they will be proven incorrect during the playoffs this season. They most definitely have good regular season numbers though, so I'll give them that.

What are you talking about? Their results over the last 5-6 years are marginally better?

We won one 1st round. 1-7 in the first round. Almost missed playoffs once completely.

They went to SC finals game 7 in 2019 .

Same same

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
We need to consider some moves come TDL.

I've been begging for the Leafs to get Boone Jenner for years, but our salary cap space means we are limited in our options.

Tanev might be an option for our shaky defense, but really a puck mover would make more sense for us.

Even if we want to make moves to improve our roster, cap space and limited trade chips really limits our moves. Next year might make more sense to pursue other options when our 1 year contracts come off the books, but Nyalnders pay raise starts, along with a Marner extension possibly coming.

We are in a peculiar situation and in truth, I don't know how well Treliving will handle it.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

Because Willie can't drive a line all by himself Even though he's asked for the kind of money that people who can drive the line all by themselves ask for
Not scoring is a concern. Not getting chances is a much bigger concern, and that's not the situation.

Willy can, and does, drive that line pretty much all by himself. What he cannot do is play all three positions himself. No matter how many times he sets up his linemates for easy goals, they have to actually put the puck in the net.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017

Tavares had that kind of money how many years? And he cant drive a line when all players struggles . The thing is most of our players cant , not even our best paid. They need at least some support from the other players.

Nylander can drive a line but not drag a line that struggles. Give him Holm and Roberts and things will look different. Split Tavares and Nylander is key. They can get together later when they found there mojo, but right now they need to stay away from each other. And Nylander need more responsability and trust, not less.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
True but my eyes tell me he was much more dominant before signing. He slumped a bit in January so this could be a similar slump. Let's see how he comes out after the All Star break.
Personally, I think and hope Willie is just making sure he can play in the All Star Game. As he doesn't want to miss it due to injury.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022

If he can’t drive a line on this team who can other than Mathews cause he’s at the worst number 2 on this team I would argue he’s might be number 1

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
The only thing my mind is made up about is what's already happened. I hope Treliving can fix his mistakes and get things back on track in-season. It just seems unlikely that we'll be able to get back to where we were until the offseason. Still very possible to win rounds, as we're still decent and more factors in than just how good a team is, but unless things improve, it's going to be more difficult and we'll be more reliant on external factors or riding hot streaks, like Florida did with their goalie last year.
To be fair Dubas had 5 years to fix his mistakes and basically didn’t so maybe Tre gets a little wiggle room

Reactions: notDatsyuk

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
If he can’t drive a line on this team who can other than Mathews cause he’s at the worst number 2 on this team I would argue he’s might be number 1
Has Willie every been seriously injured? You don't get hurt if you avoid most contact. Phil is living proof.

Reactions: Drytoast

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Has Willie every been seriously injured? You don't get hurt if you avoid most contact. Phil is living proof.
No he’s there for all the games he’s never been a physical player though he has been more physical , however I don’t see the correlation in my statement to your response though mind helping me get there?

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
To be fair Dubas had 5 years to fix his mistakes and basically didn’t so maybe Tre gets a little wiggle room
Actually, he not only fixed his mistakes, but everybody else's too. We'll see how Treliving does -hopefully well moving forward - but so far, not good.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
No he’s there for all the games he’s never been a physical player though he has been more physical , however I don’t see the correlation in my statement to your response though mind helping me get there?
You are 100% correct. I was replying to post 187 where poster suggested Willie was playing not to get hurt before ASG.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
If Tre is dumb enough to think his team has a serious chance to make a run, then he is a fool. The only thing that will save him is that he has virtually nothing of significance to trade in order to acquire anything of significance. This team needs to show something in the next month for Tre to consider being a serious buyer. They need much more than a Tanev to make them a serious contender IMO.

Said it last year that it was a mistake to go all in unless you knew you could resign the players they acquired so you could make another run. How'd that go?

everyone saw florida like done last year at the same moment and we saw the result

When washington won cup, everyone thi king their window wws closing and ots at the same exavt moment they win it.

nust get exemple a Woll step up at the great time and add in D to help and area leafs need an upgrade, whos know whats can happen?

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
100% and he actually f***ing backchecked and skated.

He made his own luck instead of waiting for the game to come to him.

Reactions: ToneDog

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Contracts be damned. The only way I can see this roster competing with any chance of success is for Keefe to admit that 'stacking' two lines won't work. We do not have the defensive players needed to fill out lines 3 and 4 that could keep the puck out of our zone consistently enough for the Leafs to be successful. Coupled with a suspect D and G situation, our top two lines simply cannot score enough to offset the weaknesses further down the line up. In my opinion we have to change to a 3 line scoring team, and use our best options with the 4th line and hope they can hold their own.

Knies Matthews Bertuzzi
Jarnkrok Tavares Nylander
Robertson Domi Marner
Holmberg Kamph McMann

I could argue lines 2 and 3 could be switched. Regardless, I think either possesses enough talent to attack most other team's 3rd line with success, with either being able to hold their own against most 2nd lines in the league. Each of the first 3 lines has 1 player capable of responsible defensive play. Each of the top 3 lines has 2 players shooting over 11.7% (that being Nylander's %, which is the lowest of the 6), each has 2 players within our top 9 when it comes to ESA/60, each has a C with a winning FO%, and while admittedly a flawed stat, as a team with a +13 goal differential, the top 3 lines would be (cumulatively for each line) +23, +14, and +14, which handily bests our current line up.

Obviously, Matthews run for 70 would be harder without Marner. Marner would be disappointed losing out on 1st line minutes. I don't care. Keefe would need to balance the minutes more evenly, with the 4th line hovering between 8-10 min/night.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
And yet Dubas’s team had no real success or improvement.
The Leafs had both. It just didn't result in the one thing you wanted.
Not only was Kyle perfect, he corrected what was wrong with the world.
Nobody is perfect, and no, correcting the mistakes of him and his predecessors does not mean "correcting what was wrong with the world".
Now we wait to see if Treliving can fix his own mistakes, like the scoring depth issues he created. So far, not great.

Reactions: authentic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad