Scoring Depth Issues

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
That's exactly what I'm saying happened. lol! But he would have gotten that offer while under contract with Toronto. I don't think you are allowed to approach people currently under contract on another team.
It would be embarrassing and we've had enough of that. You don't go whining about technicalities because you got burned doing something stupid.

Toronto does the same thing, probably in touch with Brad since the previous summer.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
It would be embarrassing and we've had enough of that. You don't go whining about technicalities because you got burned doing something stupid.

Toronto does the same thing, probably in touch with Brad since the previous summer.
We were not in touch with Brad. Because of Dubas' sudden change of demands, we were caught with our pants down needing someone with experience ASAP to negotiate the most important contract on the roster. Brad was just available.

We got put in a shitty situation.

Last edited:

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
We were not in touch with Brad. Because of Dubas' sudden change of demands, we were caught with our pants down needing someone with experience ASAP to negotiate the most important contract on the roster. Brad was just available.

We have different experiences/perceptions of how people in powerful business networks communicate with each other but if the Leafs start complaining about Dubas departure someone's getting kicked in the balls.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
We have different experiences/perceptions of how people in powerful business networks communicate with each other but if the Leafs start complaining about Dubas departure someone's getting kicked in the balls.
If it is from the Pittsburgh indeed approached one of our employees who are currently under contract illegally then they deserve to be the ones getting kicked in the balls.

Reactions: LeafEgo

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Whatever makes you sleep better at night. Please change screen name to excuses for days
Facts that you're unwilling to accept are not excuses. The cause of Florida's finals run last year has no impact on my sleep.
What should be the concerning part for everyone is that we'll likely require something similar to have a cup chance this year, thanks to our disastrous offseason.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022

Better than what’s going on in Pittsburg

ashs

Oct 27, 2007
Some players do more than score. Like Domi and bert. The players who are expected to score and are not need to be replaced by the Robertson's and young blood who actually are scoring. Reward these guys, not mediocrity

Reactions: arso40

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Some players do more than score. Like Domi and bert. The players who are expected to score and are not need to be replaced by the Robertson's and young blood who actually are scoring. Reward these guys, not mediocrity
At this point, we're not going to get rid of Bertuzzi, Domi, Kampf, etc till we fall out of a playoff spot but I agree with going with younger players eventually. We need to get into the playoffs where allegedly Bertuzzi and Domi will shine.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
What should be the concerning part for everyone is that we'll likely require something similar to have a cup chance this year, thanks to our disastrous offseason.
So if the Leafs go deep this year you're just gonna use this line of reasoning and still say Dubas' teams were better?

Sounds like you already have your mind made up no matter what happens.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
So if the Leafs go deep this year you're just gonna use this line of reasoning and still say Dubas' teams were better?
Sounds like you already have your mind made up no matter what happens.
The only thing my mind is made up about is what's already happened. I hope Treliving can fix his mistakes and get things back on track in-season. It just seems unlikely that we'll be able to get back to where we were until the offseason. Still very possible to win rounds, as we're still decent and more factors in than just how good a team is, but unless things improve, it's going to be more difficult and we'll be more reliant on external factors or riding hot streaks, like Florida did with their goalie last year.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

Here's the problem -- the Leafs need them to do more than just "bring intangibles"... the need them to contribute, if even just a bit.

To be successful in the playoffs, you need most, if not an entire team, to know they need to contribute offensively.... it's too easy to key-in on 2-3, even 4 guys. You need 3 lines and 2 powerplay units capable of scoring, not just one that teams study inside & out; and learn to get reads on.

Domi, to his credit, I have slightly fewer concerns about.... he's pacing over 40 points, he's only playing 12:52/night, and the vast majority of his production is coing at even strength.

Bertuzzi on the other hand, more concerning. His minutes are about 20% more than Domi's, and he's got fewer points. He's had much higher quality linemates as well.

I feel like I've been asking for this for years, but they've gotta break them up into 3 lines. You look at what William Nylander did in the playoffs one year with Alex Kerfoot as his centre. Domi is better, at least offensively, than Kerfoot.

Let's not forget that Domi is a guy who put up 72 points and was a +20 (1 shy of the team lead) on a Habs team where the next highest scoring player had 58 points. A guy that likes to distribute from the centre position, paired with a winger who can shoot and carry the puck like Nylander should be a match made in heaven.

Yes, it'll be tough for Matthews to score 65+ without Mitch Marner on his wing, but this team needs to stop focusing on individual accolades, and more on winnign games. Tavares probably doesn't have 47 goals in him again, but there should be no reason why he can't score 35ish on a line with Mitch Marner.

Come the deadline, the Leafs shouldn't fall into the trap of "we need another 2nd line player to make our 3rd line go"; they should start getting accustomed to spreading the offence over 3 lines; with the likely pairings being Domi-Nylander, Tavares-Marner, then Matthews.... and figure out what each of those 3 lines needs in terms of linemates.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Domi is just fine. I'd be happy if they end up extending him. Actually brings some skill to the bottom six.

Folks keep trying to explain Burts lack of production by external factors like coaching, but imo he's just not executing. Part of that is bad luck, part of it is him having too many brain farts.

He needs to have an incredibly strong finish to the season + playoffs if he wants to even talk about an extension

Reactions: authentic

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I think I've repeatedly stated that if we go with Shanahan's story (which I do) then there is some bizarre reason that caused Dubas to change his demands at the last minute into something that would be rejected.

At the time, Pittsburgh was actively looking for someone to take the GM/President role. It seems suspicious and should be investigated. Typically a person doesn't lay out a list of things they want, spend a few months negotiating to get those things. And then right before you are suppose to sign the contract, suddenly retract and ask for more. If Dubas wanted more he would have demanded that during the few months of contract negotiations.

Do I need to repeat this or did you need sock puppets?
Oddly enough, sock puppets would not make your point any more or less ridiculous.

Last edited:

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Oddly enough, sock puppets would not make your point any more or less ridiculous.
Oh because you seem to be sure that Dubas changing his contract demands last minute after months of negotiations has no connection to Pittsburgh needing a GM/President?

Wow. I'll call you Nostradamus! Tell me, Nos. How many points will Nylander pot this year?

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Willie now has zero points in 7 of 9 games since he signed. Now 12 points behind Pasta and on pace for 106 points. Clearly Tre should have waited longer or given him his last offer and told him to call me back if you can't find a better deal. So far Tre has sucked at contract negotiations.

Good: Benoit, Gregor, Jones
Bad: Reaves, Bert, Klingberg, Kampf, Matty, Willie
TBD: Domi, Sammy

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Oh because you seem to be sure that Dubas changing his contract demands last minute after months of negotiations has no connection to Pittsburgh needing a GM/President?

Wow. I'll call you Nostradamus! Tell me, Nos. How many points will Nylander pot this year?
No - just that I'm sure your rants aren't going to change anything, even if they made sense.

I don't know how many points Nylander will get, but I'm pretty sure that anything under about 150 will mean you will continue your profane rants about him being overpaid.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
How many Bertuzzi goals have been lost by goals called back and whiffing on EN situations in the past 10 days, at least 3? 4? It's getting comical.

Edmonton jamming the puck into the post.
Kneeing the puck into the net.
Winnipeg, goal called back on Willie's goalie "interference."

Reactions: Jojalu

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Willie now has zero points in 7 of 9 games since he signed. Now 12 points behind Pasta and on pace for 106 points. Clearly Tre should have waited longer or given him his last offer and told him to call me back if you can't find a better deal. So far Tre has sucked at contract negotiations.

Good: Benoit, Gregor, Jones
Bad: Reaves, Bert, Klingberg, Kampf, Matty, Willie
TBD: Domi, Sammy
You also have to consider that he's still getting and generating lots of chances. He and JT are tied for second in shots over that span, which is only one fewer that Matty. Willy has four points, while JT has nothing but one tip in on the PP, and Bert has just two assists.

Reactions: Menzinger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad