Scoreboard watching - or - the pursuit of the playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
And Philly, they are only 4-5-1 in last 10.... Although I'd bet NJ is odd team out based on SOS. I'm expecting CBJ will at least finish in WC1 or better, so likely rematch with Pens or face Caps.
Ehh not so fast with Philly, those guys are streaky, they can go on 10 games winning streak any minute.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
It's not that great of an idea, DSL, but I'm glad you had it.

One of these days I'll learn how to "Insert Quotes". Not today, it appears.

I don't have a problem with playing the Pens in the first round. I feel like our guys are starting to get it going at just the right time - unlike last year, when they limped into the playoffs. Zach and Seth look primed, Artemi is the gold standard, Cole looks great and knows these environs, and I believe JJ and Nick will up their games. I could be wrong, but it seems like Torts is starting to really key in on the importance of this time of year, and the guys are responding.

Bob, after a disconcerting stretch, looks like he's enjoying competing. Get Andy back and Boone and Wenny coming on, as well? I just hope the team didn't let their disarray last so long that we miss the playoffs, because the way they've been playing since the TDL reminds me a lot of how this team can play when they're confident.

I'm not scared of the Pens in Round One. Not saying the Jackets win, it'll be tough but, unlike last year (when a series loss was expected by me), they look to be really ramping it up at the right time.

Let's just get in, and then see.

Reactions: BobVEZINAsky 110

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
Ehh not so fast with Philly, those guys are streaky, they can go on 10 games winning streak any minute.

Or they have gone on a 10 game losing streak....just saying that they haven't clinched anything yet either and I'd place them in the mix with CBJ, NJ and FLA. I think CBJ will finish ahead of Philly, but Philly still gets in over NJ.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Or they have gone on a 10 game losing streak....just saying that they haven't clinched anything yet either and I'd place them in the mix with CBJ, NJ and FLA. I think CBJ will finish ahead of Philly, but Philly still gets in over NJ.
In other words, tomorrow game is huuuuuge! :)

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I really wish I could find satisfaction in this reference, but the Indians did the same thing and it effing kills me.
Shhhhhh!!!!!!! Haha I had tickets to that game and couldn't go because I was literally in bed ridden needing spinal fusion shit mode so I cried to myself in my bed I couldn't be there, then that I missed the game tying home run, then finally that we lost. 3 strikes I was out.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Shhhhhh!!!!!!! Haha I had tickets to that game and couldn't go because I was literally in bed ridden needing spinal fusion **** mode so I cried to myself in my bed I couldn't be there, then that I missed the game tying home run, then finally that we lost. 3 strikes I was out.

I think Rajai's homerun will be the ultimate bittersweet thing I've ever witnessed watching sports.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I think Rajai's homerun will be the ultimate bittersweet thing I've ever witnessed watching sports.
I live off my brothers, sisters, and her bfs stories about it. We had 3 tickets given to us from front office people that weren't together but we'e sold for the purpose of making sure as.many tribe fans were there as possible so to hear how the reaction was in 3 seperate sections from 3 people is crazy. Even with the heartbreak it kills me I wasn't there.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Idk why people don't want Pitt... I 100% want them. We kicked the **** out of them last year except 1 game and the are minus MAF who won them that series.

We have the better goalie
We have the better defense
We have the better coach
We have the better captain

We have the better cannon
We have the better areas
We have the better fans

That's truth

U ok?

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Torts taught sully everything and Torts is one of the best coaches in the league and of the past quarter century in my personal opinion his record and former players can speak to that.

As far as captains go ours is 1000x the leader and example for a team then Crosby. That's self explanatory. Just because you can play and score doesn't mean your a leader. Just because you have won 3 cups doesn't make you a leader. I honestly think guys in that locker room follow Geno and followed the flower more.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Torts taught sully everything and Torts is one of the best coaches in the league and of the past quarter century in my personal opinion his record and former players can speak to that.

As far as captains go ours is 1000x the leader and example for a team then Crosby. That's self explanatory. Just because you can play and score doesn't mean your a leader. Just because you have won 3 cups doesn't make you a leader. I honestly think guys in that locker room follow Geno and followed the flower more.

Point 1 is ridiculous.

Point 2 is scary ridiculous. And I really like #71.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Point 1 is ridiculous.

Point 2 is scary ridiculous. And I really like #71.
How is point 1 rediculous? I'll allow 2 because the commercialization of Crosby and some CBJ fans here might be Canadian so the have been brought along that hype train so country over club I get... since the early 00s the league has put it in people's minds you root for Ovi or Sid... and 1 was generally porrayed as a good guy hero no matter the scumbaggery.

The torts issue he has the hardware to prove it along with the wins... most wins ever for an American born coach. Put Cyclone behind our bench or the team with Malkin Kessel and Used to be Flurry but normally rock solid as well. Sully is a good coach but disco
Dan won a cup with those guys. Torts has taken some rag tag groups... I don't buy what your selling.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
How is point 1 rediculous? I'll allow 2 because the commercialization of Crosby and some CBJ fans here might be Canadian so the have been brought along that hype train so country over club I get... since the early 00s the league has put it in people's minds you root for Ovi or Sid... and 1 was generally porrayed as a good guy hero no matter the scumbaggery.

The torts issue he has the hardware to prove it along with the wins... most wins ever for an American born coach. Put Cyclone behind our bench or the team with Malkin Kessel and Used to be Flurry but normally rock solid as well. Sully is a good coach but disco
Dan won a cup with those guys. Torts has taken some rag tag groups... I don't buy what your selling.

Disco Dan won in year one using mostly Therrien's systems. He went o for the next 6 (or whatever) years with the same core. He got run out of Buffalo pretty fast.

Sullivan has won 2 cups in 2 years. Sure, Torts was a big influence, but he's his own guy.

If Torts and Sullivan were free agent coaches this off season, who do you think would command the most interest?

Crosby has been Captain of 3 cup winners. I'm not aware of any Sid bashing among his teamates or ex treamates. From everything I've read he's a well respected figure among his peers. Saying that Foligno is 1000x the leader that Crosby is doesn't cut it.

Reactions: Bumpus

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Disco Dan won in year one using mostly Therrien's systems. He went o for the next 6 (or whatever) years with the same core. He got run out of Buffalo pretty fast.

Sullivan has won 2 cups in 2 years. Sure, Torts was a big influence, but he's his own guy.

If Torts and Sullivan were free agent coaches this off season, who do you think would command the most interest?

Crosby has been Captain of 3 cup winners. I'm not aware of any Sid bashing among his teamates or ex treamates. From everything I've read he's a well respected figure among his peers. Saying that Foligno is 1000x the leader that Crosby is doesn't cut it.

Don't forget gold medal winning Olympic captain as well...

I won't debate the coaching thing because I think they are both very good coaches.

But, to say Crosby is anything other than one of the great leaders of his era is laughable. The guy has led, and won, everywhere he's been, since he was 12 years old. I love Foligno, but he's nowhere near the player or leader that Sid is. And I bet you he would tell you that himself.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014

Toews is also a 3x captain champ and CHI fans are mocked for talking about that.

Sullivan is younger and has less of a reputation earned or not so he would get fair chances around the league.

He's 2 for 2 but honestly look at the team. It's like in basketball Tyron Lu 2 years coach 2 finals 1 win. Steve Kerr 3 years coaching 2 wins 3 finals. Are they the 2 best coach's or did they walk into the 2 best teams the past 2 years? That's a fair point here and I'd love to have Sully here one day I believe Torts taught him well and he has a good hybrid style of torts and his own style he's worked on over time.

Foligno is a community leader as.shown as being the only guy to ever win both leadership awards in the same year and he has been a huge factor in the turning around of the franchise. Will never compare in points and won't ever be lucky enough to capt a good medal winning team in one of the last Olympics in history Canada would have a huge talent advantage now that skill is a wash once they figure out how to bring the NHL guys back. Mathews Eichel Keller with Jones Z McAvoy Trouba Slavin and Hannifan. Crosby couldn't lead that 2010 team against how ever do that.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013

While I agree Torts > Sullivan, no doubt..

Saying Foligno is a better captain than Crosby is a huuuuuuuge joke. And I dislike Crosby just as much as 98 percent of the people on these boards. Come on man... but hey, we’re entitled to our own opinions and that’s what makes them opinions so.. to each of their own.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
I get no great pleasure from seeing any team in the West falter (except for Chicago). I AM pleased that you can pretty much stick a fork in Carolina and the Islanders after tonight.

The isles didn’t play tonight doe....

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Foligno gets a C- for his captancy this year. Mention Crosby in the same sentence with Fligs is a joke. And yeah, Torts does better interviews than Sully, i will give you that, Mike Sullivan is not very eloquent person. (maybe that's why he didnt like Cole, too good speaker?)

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
:) If the Jackets can win in Philly tomorrow, I would expect them to continue on and pass the Flyers by the end of the season.

If the Flyers win, it's going to be really hard to do that.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
:) If the Jackets can win in Philly tomorrow, I would expect them to continue on and pass the Flyers by the end of the season.

If the Flyers win, it's going to be really hard to do that.

This. Tomorrow's game is huge. It would be less so had the Jackets won either of the two recent meetings with the Flyers, but alas...

EDIT:
When I say huge, I actually mean critical.

Reactions: Sore Loser
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad