Scandella Trade

Wildfish

Jul 13, 2011
Siberia, ND
Another factor to think about; Spurgeon and Brodin have sustained nagging injuries in the past few years. Spurgeon hasn't hit 80 games in his career and missed around 6 last year (who knows how many more he might have missed), and Brodin has missed more than that..

Injuries are a fact of life in the NHL. Bank on it, there will be injuries to Wild Dmen. That's why your D pool needs to be 8 deep. I'm OK with Prosser as a #8 Dman. And you have the Carolina guy, Ryan Murphy to fill in if you need a deep depth guy.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I seperate the trade into 2 separate trades: Scandella for Foligino+3rd and Pommer +4th for Ennis.

I liked the Scandella for Foligino+3rd trade at the time. Hated the Pommer+4th for Ennis at the time. Still feel the same way.

I don't buy the everything from expansion draft on was to protect Dumba. It was to keep Granny and Nino. The 8 skater route and leave Granlund/Nino ($5.25m or more in cap space) exposed and the Wild could still have Haula ($2.75), Tuch (in Iowa), Pommer ($1m that was saved), Scandella (~$1m saved over Foligino and Olofsson) , and Folin (-$600k saved over Quincey, if he wanted to stay). It works out to ~$4.15 cap hit if all those players were kept, and the roster is full.

I do think the Scandella would still have end up traded for a similar deal.

Pommer for Ennis isn't just about the $1m in cap savings this year. The buyout for Ennis is ~$2.18m lower than Pommer this year if the cap was needed for Granlund, Nino, and depth. The 2nd buyout window could/should be open up for the Wild with the Nino/Granny arbitration stuff. A buyout next season for the both of them is of minimal difference Ennis is $100k and $450k cheaper.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad