TV: Saturday Night Live 40 years live? and beyond -MOD 724

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
All eras of SNL have had their strengths and weaknesses. I love the current cast.

I like the majority of the current cast:

Kate McKinnon (LOVE her!)
Cecily Strong
Beck Bennett
Kyle Mooney
Taran Killam
Bobby Moynihan
Jay Pharoah
Sasheer Zamata
Michael Che (I've come around on him on WU)
Pete Davidson

....I pretty much like everyone but Leslie Jones, and to a lesser extent Colin Jost (still not my first choice for WU, but he's gotten better over the last couple of weeks, he's no longer the "worst WU anchor" in my book)

Jones, like others have echoed here, has just one character (typically), and that character is "Angry Black Woman". She's only made me laugh in one sketch (The Blake Shelton "Bachelor rip-off" sketch), and all of her Weekend Update apperances have been dreadful.

I actually don't mind, and end up laughing a lot more, at Pete Davidson's WU routine as the "Resident Young Person".

McKinnon is the cast MVP right now though, I can't get enough of her.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria

Cecily Strong
Beck Bennett
Kyle Mooney
Taran Killam
Bobby Moynihan
Jay Pharoah
Sasheer Zamata
Pete Davidson

....I pretty much like everyone but Leslie Jones, and to a lesser extent Colin Jost (still not my first choice for WU, but he's gotten better over the last couple of weeks, he's no longer the "worst WU anchor" in my book)

Jones, like others have echoed here, has just one character (typically), and that character is "Angry Black Woman". She's only made me laugh in one sketch (The Blake Shelton "Bachelor rip-off" sketch), and all of her Weekend Update apperances have been dreadful.

I actually don't mind, and end up laughing a lot more, at Pete Davidson's WU routine as the "Resident Young Person".

I think Vanessa Bayer and Bobby Moynihan are two of the best of the group right now too. Keenan Thompson is consistently pretty great too.

As far as the new faces go, I love Beck Bennett and Kyle Mooney.

Adding Che has really salvaged Weekend Update for Jost. I enjoy it a lot.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Not sure I want to watch part 2 though ,, Every time a new cast member came on they were not funny

The 2 people speaking before the tryout clip part from new cast were terrible. The black chick was not funny at all

The new cast probably gets like 2 total minutes of air time in a 3.5 hour show or whatever it was, not sure what the big deal is...

The part with Leslie Jones and Pete Davidson introducing the tryouts literally lasted like 20 seconds, that's going to ruin the show for you?

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
The new cast probably gets like 2 total minutes of air time in a 3.5 hour show or whatever it was, not sure what the big deal is...

The part with Leslie Jones and Pete Davidson introducing the tryouts literally lasted like 20 seconds, that's going to ruin the show for you?

It's a good point. Other than the audition piece, I can't think of anything that any of the hires of the last two years were a part of. Heck, the only active cast member that I recall off hand having any decent parts were Keenan Thompson,who is practically alumni with the length of his tenure.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
It's a good point. Other than the audition piece, I can't think of anything that any of the hires of the last two years were a part of. Heck, the only active cast member that I recall off hand having any decent parts were Keenan Thompson,who is practically alumni with the length of his tenure.

Yeah, I even remember thinking to myself during the special "wow they really sidelined the current cast". Which is why it seems weird to complain about their presence, since it's so minimal.

They did the same thing for the 25th anniversary special though. Fallon, Oteri, and Shannon had small bits introducing clip packages but the rest (including Ferrell) were completely absent from the live show.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

McKinnon and Killam were featured in the Celebrity Jeopardy sketch, I thinking showing that they're looked at rather highly right now

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
I haven't last weeks episode yet but I seen the one with Dakota Johnson and I loved to see Riblet back and in a suit! :yo:

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
That was the best one in a loooong time. Also, that is definitely not what I pictured George Ezra looking like.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
That was the best one in a loooong time. Also, that is definitely not what I pictured George Ezra looking like.

Yea, I thought it was one of the best ones in quite a few years, the last few didn't match the rest of the episode. "Is that a banana in your pocket? Seriously, if that a banana can I have it, Olya so hungry"

Grandpabuzz

Oct 13, 2003
Dallas, Texas

Agree. The Bambi and Restaurant skits were great.

Only the weekend update was the weak link (again). Can't stand either of the two anchors, and it's been really propaganda filled this season.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Keaton was frigging dynamite on last night's episode. Even though I still laughed, the only sketch I thought was a bit "weak" was the Ad-Pitch sketch.

And that Easter Message? Oh my goodness, I had to re-watch that this morning on Hulu, it was unbelievably funny.

Can Keaton host every episode?

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
That was the best Weekend Update yet from Jost and Che. Jebidiah Atkinson delivered as usual, too. "Worst final season since Joe Paterno" had me in stitches.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
These last two episodes have been fantastic. The show is finishing strong it seems

It's the hosts though.

Michael Keaton made the material pop last night, it was all written well for him and he threw himself into it.

Same with The Rock last week. I mean, if you put anyone else in the last 2 host spots, I'm not sure of they're as good as Rock or Keaton

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
was the ad pitch sketch improvised? As in, the other cast members never knew what Keaton was going to say? It seemed that way. They looked honestly bewildered which added to the effect.

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
I heard The Rock's episode was actually pretty good. I tried to watch it but once Leslie Jones appeared in the opening sketch I was done. Dreadful.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I laughed WAY too much at the 1st sketch "High School Teacher Scandal"...largely due to Pete Davidson and his answers.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Hardest laugh for me so far is Mumford & Sons in leather jackets

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Cecily Strong
Beck Bennett
Kyle Mooney
Taran Killam
Bobby Moynihan
Jay Pharoah
Sasheer Zamata
Pete Davidson

Yeah Kate McKinnon is the best-it breaks my little heart that the cute little thing is only into girls--that hurts my feelings

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Yeah Kate McKinnon is the best-it breaks my little heart that the cute little thing is only into girls--that hurts my feelings

The opening was good with her and Hammond as the Clintons, I'm guessing that'll be a recurring skit with Hillary running now. The high school teacher one was the next skit and just as good but after that it was all down hill from there

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Aidy Bryant continues to make me either want to fast forward (if watching on Hulu) or change the channel (watching live).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad