TV: Saturday Night Live 40 years live? and beyond -MOD 724

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
I’d like to see more of Null before we banish him, but I can’t say I’ve been too impressed so far. The other three you mentioned I agree with. I can’t figure Aidy Bryant out. Sometimes she’s funny, amd other times I feel like I’m done with her. I’ve warmed up to Leslie, used to hate her, but I wouldn’t miss her if she left. Pete Davidson is just not funny to me. If I’m the only one I’ll shutup, to quote the cowbell sketch.

Not sure about Heidi Gardner to be honest. I’d like to see more from Chris Redd.

The show has lost a lot of talent in the last few years.

You're not the only one who doesn't find Pete Davidson funny. I find most of what he says absolutely lame.

Reactions: Pilky01

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I like Pete Davidson for some reason.

It’s all in the delivery.

However, he’s been doing his Dad’s death for shock value for years as part of his act.

I guess it’s unique, and I feel for the guy, but from a comedic perspective, he can’t keep going back to that well.

Reactions: Pilky01

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I can't stand Pete Davidson but I also think that i am not really in his target audience since I am over 30 and don't smoke weed and am also pretty happy in life.

I can see a younger group that feels that anger that he seems to have and think smoking weed is funny/cool may like him.

I find overall the show is still enjoyable but it seems more hit and miss for me. It may be that I am getting older (late 30's) and the show is more directed towards a younger demographic (for example the musical guests seem god awful this year but maybe are cool to the young kids?) and the fact that i find Baldwins Trump obnoxious not funny and they seemed to way over use that early on in the season.

I still try to catch it every week but certainly am not overly upset if I forget to PVR it for one week.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I can't stand Pete Davidson but I also think that i am not really in his target audience since I am over 30 and don't smoke weed and am also pretty happy in life.

I can see a younger group that feels that anger that he seems to have and think smoking weed is funny/cool may like him.

I find overall the show is still enjoyable but it seems more hit and miss for me. It may be that I am getting older (late 30's) and the show is more directed towards a younger demographic (for example the musical guests seem god awful this year but maybe are cool to the young kids?) and the fact that i find Baldwins Trump obnoxious not funny and they seemed to way over use that early on in the season.

I still try to catch it every week but certainly am not overly upset if I forget to PVR it for one week.

Well, I'm 39 years old, so I guess I'm an outlier.

That being said, Baldwin's Trump ran its course a long time ago.

Kate McKinnon is really the only talent that delivers regularly. I sort of like Kyle Mooney too because he takes risks.

The fact that the SNL alumni typically produce more laughs than the existing cast is telling.

Hader and Armisen have a natural comfort with humour whereas a lot of the current cast members give off that "high school talent show" trying-too-hard-to-be-funny vibe.

I'll still tape it for Weekend Update and watch it Sunday mornings.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Just watched last weeks show. The first hour or so was easily the best of the season IMO. Hader can come back to host any time; the guy was born to be on SNL.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Just watched last weeks show. The first hour or so was easily the best of the season IMO. Hader can come back to host any time; the guy was born to be on SNL.

You can tell he was f***ing with the cast during the old man on the scooter skit.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Do people like Jost and Che on update? I’m not a huge fan myself, but there have been some very good people doing update in the past. Obviously they are nowhere near Tina and Amy. I kind of hate their ad libs. It’s never funny to me.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
belmmm.png

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Do people like Jost and Che on update? I’m not a huge fan myself, but there have been some very good people doing update in the past. Obviously they are nowhere near Tina and Amy. I kind of hate their ad libs. It’s never funny to me.

I like them.

I think everyone has been decent at update except for maybe Colin Quinn.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I like them.

I think everyone has been decent at update except for maybe Colin Quinn.

Quinn had the unfortunate circumstance of following Norm MacDonald.

Quinn had this angry guy vibe to me. I don’t think that worked well on update.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Quinn had the unfortunate circumstance of following Norm MacDonald.

Quinn had this angry guy vibe to me. I don’t think that worked well on update.

He really didn’t work for SNL.

He didn’t do impressions or sketch comedy.

He’s a stand up.

I’d argue that Kevin Nealon was better as a sketch guy (kind of like Cecily Strong) but he wasn’t awful or anything.

Paul Dipietro

Dec 16, 2009

He’s a stand up.

I’d argue that Kevin Nealon was better as a sketch guy (kind of like Cecily Strong) but he wasn’t awful or anything.
Quinn was barely funny as a stand up. And I recall him regularly struggling to read the cue cards. Didn't help with his already below-average delivery

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

He’s a stand up.

I liked how Nealon played it like a real news person. I think he’s the only one I’ve seen to do it like that.

I always enjoyed him, but I’m not sure how much others did. Norm wasn’t everyone’s cup of tea either, but again, I liked it.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I really like Che and Jost.

Agreed on Quinn. I don't find much of any of his work very funny. That Netflix special he released like a year ago that was all about New York or something, it was awful.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
I really like Che and Jost.

Agreed on Quinn. I don't find much of any of his work very funny. That Netflix special he released like a year ago that was all about New York or something, it was awful.

Quinn and Dave Attell are known to be these great "your favorite comedians favorite comedian" type of guys for years, I've never really found either of them funny. Half the time on Update you couldn't even understand what he was saying.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Leggings bit was hilarious. :laugh:

Black Jeopardy was pretty good. Grandmas cable joke was good. The uncomfortable laugh from the crowd at the Jesus/pregnancy joke was great too :sarcasm:

“Oh, the sound of white people shopping nearby means the fun is over” :laugh:

“But why would Donald Trump care what experts say? Experts also said he couldn’t win the presidency and that eating 4 bags of McDonald’s a day will kill you but somehow there he is healthy as a fat horse”

Michael Che is so good. :laugh:

Reactions: Pugs35

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Not a great episode but I liked Black Jeopardy.

I kind of liked the R. Kelly magic mirror skit too.

They're in danger of overdoing the David S. Pumpkins style but I'll let it slide this time.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I almost never watch the whole thing. I record it and usually only watch the cold open, maybe the monologue depending on the host, watch 1 or 2 skits, fast forward to weekend update, and then turn it off.

I thought Mulaney’s monologue was great. The student walk out sketch was pretty funny, and weekend update was good. Didn’t really watch much else.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Ladies and Gentlemen John Mulvaney!

The Ben Stiller/Robert De Niro cold open was great. Mulaney monologue was terrific. I liked the lobster sketch and the one about the tv show with Mulaney and Cecily Strong. The walkout sketch was good too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad