Saskin vs Fischler

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
Fischler sounds like my 95 year old grampa talking about the wars.

What I found interesting is Saskins assertion that Bettman had to use his supermajority to stop the owners from accepting the owner offer, because the union knew they had a mojority of the owners.

http://www.fan590.com/#

djhn579

Mar 11, 2003
Tonawanda, NY
vanlady said:

What I found interesting is Saskins assertion that Bettman had to use his supermajority to stop the owners from accepting the owner offer, because the union knew they had a mojority of the owners.

I would think that if this was the case, we would be hearing much more from the owners that wanted the deal, since the gag order is no longer in effect. It sounds more like the NHLPA trying to do some damage control and keep the players from openly revolting...

mudcrutch79

Jul 5, 2003
The Big Smoke
www.mc79hockey.com
djhn579 said:
I would think that if this was the case, we would be hearing much more from the owners that wanted the deal, since the gag order is no longer in effect. It sounds more like the NHLPA trying to do some damage control and keep the players from openly revolting...

The gag order was reinstated.

djhn579

Mar 11, 2003
Tonawanda, NY
mudcrutch79 said:

I must have missed that. I'm in Taiwan right now so I'm not up on all the news, but even so, you would think there would at least be a little bit of rumblings from the owners, especially if a majority were interested in the players offer.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Fischler pretty much *****-slapped Saskin through-out the argument, Saskin was like a deer caught in headlights with his personal attacks & punk attitude.

I hope many players heard that and the one with Goodenow, now they know what kind of morons are running their cause.

creative giant*

Fischler saying "This alleged union which has players.. let's talk about some of the players who are playing in non-union leagues where there's a salary cap.. taking jobs away from others... that's just great, these guys can play for peanuts but they can't play for an average salary of 1.3 million. Meantime you guys (Goodenow and Saskins) have cost your players something like 1.2 BILLION... That's great leadership."

Saskins responds "uhh well you know what.. guys I only called in to talk about the voting procedure"

Saskins refused to debate Fischler and was put in his place by the grandpa and it was lovely to hear.

cstu

May 6, 2004
I have to say, it made me really happy to hear that little rodent Saskin get yelled at.

creative giant*

I love this clip, and the fact that Saskins was driving home and gained some bravado to call up a radio station then was slapped around by the "grandpa" was fantastic to hear. Saskins started out with a lot of confidence and then by the end of the segment he was running and just said some BS about voting procedure and then hung up.

Seriously, you can't write a better script for the pro-owners crowd than this clip. Saskins made a fool of himself.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
What a great way by Saskin to avoid answering some tough questions. He just bailed out of the interview dodging all the points raised by Fischler, all of which are legitimate questions that need to be answered that thus far have been unanswered by the union.
And for the record, I don't have much of an opinion of Fischler, I'd just like to hear a logical and fair reasoning that makes sense of the unions actions throughout the past few years, avoiding to look at financial records... avoiding negotiations... etc.

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
What an A-Hole Saskin is. He gets asked to explain why he won't put the NHL deal to a vote, and says(im paraphrasing) "First of all, i've been involved with hockey for 10 years and I cancelled my subscription to Stans newsletter years ago because he is uninformed."

That point about how the NHLPA costing the players tons of dough was a great one too.

Gee Wally should be proud of his fellow octogenarian.

Old people rule! :yo:

Wetcoaster

djhn579 said:
According to reports the gag order was re-imposed about 48 hours after being lifted.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Wow. Fischler brings up the point about the Union losing the players a billion dollars, and Saskin immediately bails. He didn't actually have any answers; he just called in to insult Fischler.

Matt Foley*

Seachd said:
Wow. Fischler brings up the point about the Union losing the players a billion dollars, and Saskin immediately bails. He didn't actually have any answers; he just called in to insult Fischler.

Agreed - Ted just wanted to throw some verbal punches at Stan, but he ended up being the punching bag. The PA executives obviously have no PR skills whatsoever. :shakehead

SENSible1*

Hmmm...gag order in place?

Funny, Melnyk was interviewed on TSN just yesterday.

All clubs held press conferences on Wednesday.

Some gag order.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
mudcrutch79 said:

Link? Proof?

It just seems odd given all the yapping we saw yesterday out of Lemieux, Gretzky, Melnyk, etc.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
vanlady said:

Whatever you were expecting to accomplish with this thread...I think it's time to reassess. ;)

NHLFanSince2020

What'd He Say?
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
The PA continually accuses ... pretty much everyone of being uninformed, yet they fail to provide ANY information to back this claim.

They just say you're wrong and expect you to take them at face value.

Where does this attitude come from?

I have zero respect for the PA.
I give the PA zero credibility.

I think many agree with me.

Lil' Jimmy Norton*

Jan 31, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
Saskin is a punk ! and Fischler put the boot up his arse. The players are not going to go down the road with these 2 clowns much longer because the best GD offer they were ever going to get close to was Wednesday. Wait till this cools off and the next offer comes from the NHL !!! The Players are going to be absolutely dumbfounded !!! I can't wait !!! its going to be one hell of a wake-up call :lol

NYIsles1*

As someone who supports the owners by default because the business they created losses revenue and there is no longer a choice, let's call Fischler what he is.

1. Someone employed and paid by James Dolan, the owner of a company where Marv Albert is not allowed to say what he really thinks, who claims the most losses in the NHL but will not step to the plate himself and stand by his claims.

2. The same Stan Fischler who within the last month took a players comments made early in the lockout and recycled them to fit completely different content to spin the persepctive of readers. That in of itself ruins all his credibility.

I did not listen to this interview and Fischler may have made Saskin look awful and may have been a hundred percent correct. Saskin many be many things but this was someone who did not even let the death of his own mother stop him from keeping talks going when they got started again. We may disagree with him but he does care.

It's very easy for Fishler to sit inside Msg and not question the people who pay his salary, as they esculated the player market while beating down the other side.

Lil' Jimmy Norton*

Jan 31, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
getnziggywidit said:
The PA continually accuses ... pretty much everyone of being uninformed, yet they fail to provide ANY information to back this claim.

They just say you're wrong and expect you to take them at face value.

Where does this attitude come from?

I have zero respect for the PA.
I give the PA zero credibility.

I think many agree with me.

Goodenow's days are numbered...he has lost all credibility. Yesterday there was a number of big time sports exec's saying that Goodenow made the biggest blunder in sports history with his last minute cap acceptance after what 3 years of saying no and then not closing the gap to 45 mil. He looks like a complete and utter fool and the players are asking each other where is our leverage now ??? It's gone, the owners crushed Goodenow at his own game...the "Deadline". Goodenow thought that he could bluff...with his players association money by the ways and this hand cost him what 1.5 billion....!!! If I'm a player this SOB is not my director anymore !!!

misterjaggers

Sep 7, 2003
The Duke City
NYIsles1 said:
As someone who supports the owners by default because the business they created losses revenue and there is no longer a choice, let's call Fischler what he is.

1. Someone employed and paid by James Dolan, the owner of a company where Marv Albert is not allowed to say what he really thinks, who claims the most losses in the NHL but will not step to the plate himself and stand by his claims.

2. The same Stan Fischler who within the last month took a players comments made early in the lockout and recycled them to fit completely different content to spin the persepctive of readers. That in of itself ruins all his credibility.

I did not listen to this interview and Fischler may have made Saskin look awful and may have been a hundred percent correct. Saskin many be many things but this was someone who did not even let the death of his own mother stop him from keeping talks going when they got started again. We may disagree with him but he does care.

It's very easy for Fishler to sit inside Msg and not question the people who pay his salary, as they esculated the player market while beating down the other side.
Listen to the interview!

NHLFanSince2020

What'd He Say?
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
Chuck Shick said:
Goodenow's days are numbered...he has lost all credibility. Yesterday there was a number of big time sports exec's saying that Goodenow made the biggest blunder in sports history with his last minute cap acceptance after what 3 years of saying no and then not closing the gap to 45 mil. He looks like a complete and utter fool and the players are asking each other where is our leverage now ??? It's gone, the owners crushed Goodenow at his own game...the "Deadline". Goodenow thought that he could bluff...with his players association money by the ways and this hand cost him what 1.5 billion....!!! If I'm a player this SOB is not my director anymore !!!
I would think the same thing and I don't know how anyone could think otherwise, yet he is still representing them at this time and I think just getting in the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad