Saskatchewan Minor Hockey Thread II

nah68

Sep 13, 2012
This is not only impossible, it would be really dumb.

In order to complete, SK would have to go to 8-10 teams to even out the population base with its neighboring provinces. And the sole benefit of doing so would be that one single team gets to go play one extra tournament on one extra weekend.

No problem then if Saskatoon goes back to 5, Regina to 4, Yorkton, PS, SV and NE split then. Add Unity and Meadow lake back into league....see where this is going? You are in favour of city reducing aa hockey players, so why the big push by the city to go down to 4 teams then. Sha is willing to drop the zones from 7 to 5, but now are increasing teams with no increase in population? Makes no sense, and honestly I'd be in favour of a 10 team aaa in this province for the benefit of developing those who want to play at that level....and those that can. And if you don't agree with playing aaa with all the extra travel and cost you can play aa in your closest center. Cause according to SHA Quote" You will have to ask yourself as a parent if you want to make a commitment to play aa, and it may cost you more money, but that's what you have to decide as a parent and if you want to whine and complain about the cost of travelling you can play tier 2 in your home center"...Mr. Kelly Mclintock!

dickiedunnwrotethis

It's gotta be true.
May 16, 2009
saskatoon
No problem then if Saskatoon goes back to 5, Regina to 4, Yorkton, PS, SV and NE split then. Add Unity and Meadow lake back into league....see where this is going? You are in favour of city reducing aa hockey players, so why the big push by the city to go down to 4 teams then. Sha is willing to drop the zones from 7 to 5, but now are increasing teams with no increase in population? Makes no sense, and honestly I'd be in favour of a 10 team aaa in this province for the benefit of developing those who want to play at that level....and those that can. And if you don't agree with playing aaa with all the extra travel and cost you can play aa in your closest center. Cause according to SHA Quote" You will have to ask yourself as a parent if you want to make a commitment to play aa, and it may cost you more money, but that's what you have to decide as a parent and if you want to whine and complain about the cost of travelling you can play tier 2 in your home center"...Mr. Kelly Mclintock!

Why such a half measure as 10 teams? Let's dropper down to one team and center it in Davidson (for the parents with travel concerns).
Yeehaw - we'll show 'em how it's done at Westerns! And after we win this very important, very prestigious tournament we'll be sure to out-produce the other provinces in the bantam draft. You know, completely unlike we've done for the last 10 years. Who knows, maybe our boys will someday be over-represented in WHL all-star selections? You know, completely unlike this year.

nah68

Sep 13, 2012
Why such a half measure as 10 teams? Let's dropper down to one team and center it in Davidson (for the parents with travel concerns).
Yeehaw - we'll show 'em how it's done at Westerns! And after we win this very important, very prestigious tournament we'll be sure to out-produce the other provinces in the bantam draft. You know, completely unlike we've done for the last 10 years. Who knows, maybe our boys will someday be over-represented in WHL all-star selections? You know, completely unlike this year.

Oh we already have one aaa bantam team are you going to lobby Sha to move it to Davidson? Highly doubt if ND will be willing to give up that one

nah68

Sep 13, 2012
I think Dickie and sask rink rat are missing my point.....it was SHA that mandated the new bantam league to strengthen competition. And really you guys want to strengthen city teams by reducing players, yet you want other teams to split? You don't want to go down to 10 teams for aaa, but your willing to support saskatoon and regina to drop teams? Which side you on? More teams or less?

SaskRinkRat

Apr 1, 2010
I think Dickie and sask rink rat are missing my point.....it was SHA that mandated the new bantam league to strengthen competition. And really you guys want to strengthen city teams by reducing players, yet you want other teams to split? You don't want to go down to 10 teams for aaa, but your willing to support saskatoon and regina to drop teams? Which side you on? More teams or less?
I am typically the last person to defend SHA. However, I don't think I've ever seen it stated anywhere that the purpose of the SBAAHL was to allow Saskatchewan to compete at Westerns. If I'm mistaken then I will stand corrected. Trying to design a bantam league in Saskatchewan for the sole purpose of competing at Westerns is a stupid, stupid idea.

dickiedunnwrotethis

It's gotta be true.
May 16, 2009
saskatoon

Not a big deal, but just for the sake of accuracy, I didn't support Saskatoon going down to four teams. As to SV I've always believed it should be split. In regard to the number of teams in general I think you'll find my posts pretty consistent: the more teams the better (with the proviso that there is a reasonable degree of parity).

nah68

Sep 13, 2012
I see telus cup regionals have started in saskatoon...good luck contacts, and since ND is really not a sask team I'll reserve my right not to cheer for them. 3 sask kids on that team.....great way to promote sask kids!

svhockey

Mar 4, 2016
I hear that Sask First is changing from zone tryouts and teams in bantam and midget next year to North and South format. What are peoples thought?

svhockey

Mar 4, 2016
Perfect then.....then when a out of town kid come b4 warman camp with a release in hand you won't have problems signing it. Lol.....lol! Warman can release those kids to tryout wherever. But then again you'll lose the 50 dollar camp fee. Last 4 bantam aa teams from sv have had how many warman and martensville kids drafted? And how many this year will be? You'll change your tune once you go 8 and 23, and if you won't you are a special case.
I don't know why any open center wouldn't release a kid pre camp if the family wanted it. Why would a coach or an association want someone who doesn't want to be there. Sounds like a recipe for disaster. I wish these AA camps would have only been $50. Could have saved a few bucks lol.
As for vipers getting drafted. Perhaps a split to Warman and Martensville will start to get more kids drafted. The current organization hasn't produced many draft picks.

nah68

Sep 13, 2012
Not sure why sask wouldn't send ND bantam team to compete at westerns. I'm not a fan of ND as you may know, but it's a aaa tournament and we don't have those kind of teams. Right now yorkton is being dismantled at westerns, basically chasing guys around trying to catch them. We are out of there league if we don't want to change why embarrass ourselves? And warman take a look at the shots on net and what your team will look like next year.....be prepared to get a spanking.

renslips

Aug 9, 2006
For once I'll agree with you, but I'm not arguing in favour if warman who believes they are the hub of hockey in sask.....just ask anyone from there. And maybe martensville thinks the same, if so close your borders and develop your own kids if that's what you desire. But the closest centre rule applies so rural kids at a huge disadvantage. Warman will load coaching staff with there supposed superstar coaches and friends of friends. And of course there's the.....well if a out of town kid isn't hands down better than warman kid we will take the warman kid. Sv ran cause the coaches were neutral, took the top kids and built a team. That will change, and can't wait for warman to go westerns...maybe it'll wake up warman minor.

Congrats to the Contacts for winning it all this weekend!

Sorry to backtrack a bit, but this caught my eye.

From what I understand of the Martensville and Warman split is that SHA will basically mandate it with neither centre having much of a say in anything. I don't see any comments from people from either centre saying this is a good or bad thing. SHA wants to split them up because of their drawing base populations, plain and simple. Maybe there is a hidden agenda, maybe not.

So a stronger centre becomes 2 weaker centres. I don't believe either centre would think they're going to be very good individually in the first couple of years, it's going to take lots of development work at the lower levels which means time. Is it a good or bad thing? Who knows, time will tell. How is the success measured, by league titles or by developing players for higher levels of hockey?

What in the world does this have to do with either centre thinking they are the hub of hockey in SK when quite obviously both centres will have a curve to develop the players at the required level? Anyone who thought that would have rocks in their head.

Would either centre (I hear Warman gets Westerns if they get split this year) really expect to compete at Westerns? Does SK ever compete at Westerns? Does it matter?

SHA will do what it wants, usually at the prompting of the cities. Not always the case though.

nah68

Sep 13, 2012
What SHA missed in all there wisdom is that the numbers they have used for bantam players registered in the SV zone is wrong. They use kids registered for rural centres that don't belong to SV if they actually would try out for aa. Because of the lack of minor hockey in some rural communities kids travel to outside communities that will accept them, they are registered in that minor hockey association, but if they were to go to aa tryouts it wouldn't be sv.

Round John

Sep 9, 2003
Visit site
Can someone explain to me how Martensville with an almost identical population to Warman has only one tier 1 team in each of their younger age levels?

If I see correctly the other zones in Saskatoon minor hockey (including Warman) all have two tier 1 teams, and at least two tier 2 teams, etc. through tier 3.

Not trying to stir the shizz, something doesn't seem right with that.

svhockey

Mar 4, 2016
Not sure why sask wouldn't send ND bantam team to compete at westerns. I'm not a fan of ND as you may know, but it's a aaa tournament and we don't have those kind of teams. Right now yorkton is being dismantled at westerns, basically chasing guys around trying to catch them. We are out of there league if we don't want to change why embarrass ourselves? And warman take a look at the shots on net and what your team will look like next year.....be prepared to get a spanking.

I don't necessarily disagree about Westerns and not sure it really makes sense to send Sask teams. Not because they aren't going to be competitive but because how does it really matter. Focus on Sask First level at Westerns
As for Warman having a team their next year as host and getting spanked Who cares. I doubt Warman is too worried about it. If they have a coach who is any good he will set realistic goals and prepare the kids for what is ahead. Yes they will get spanked by BC Maybe Alberta. Have a shot if the stars align against Manitoba and be in the game against the Sask rep.
When did Bantam AA become about winning and Westerns. I thought it was about developing for Midget AAA. So they get spanked. Coach prepare them for the season and keep the focus on what really matters and that is the next level.
Besides Sask teams have been spanked at Westerns in the past. Did those kids fold and quit and never play AAA and higher. I doubt it affected them.

svhockey

Mar 4, 2016
Can someone explain to me how Martensville with an almost identical population to Warman has only one tier 1 team in each of their younger age levels?

If I see correctly the other zones in Saskatoon minor hockey (including Warman) all have two tier 1 teams, and at least two tier 2 teams, etc. through tier 3.

Good post. I can't believe either association would be against Warman and Martensville having their own team. And if they are then all they are looking at is how it affects their own kid and that is not acceptable. They need to look at the bigger picture and realize their is no argument whatsoever that associations that size don't have their own pw bantam and midget aa teams.
So what if they have some down years. They will be at the top, in the middle and at the bottom over the cycle. If they aren't it is their fault at to what they have done at the development and coaching level. Focus on those things and they will be fine.

Have more kids play at higher tiers in novice atom and pee wee instead of worrying about smha league and winning tournaments and combine thia with strong practices and good coaches and they won't have a competiveness issue at bantam.

nah68

Sep 13, 2012
Then why do we have only 12 teams in midget aaa? Preparing kids for next level is being able to compete at next level. Next levels prize is the telus cup, who cares how we do at that tourney? Don't think so.

Last edited:

renslips

Aug 9, 2006

You can go to their websites and look at the number of players registered.

Initiation
Warman - 8 teams of 13-14 players, however Warman allows 4-year olds to play
Martensville - 6 teams (no player rosters are available)

Novice
Warman - 7 teams of 12-13 players
Martensville - 5 teams of either 13-14 players
Funny to note, Warman carries more players at the Novice A level than the C level while Martensville is the opposite way at least for this year

Atom
Warman - 5 teams of 14-16 players
Martensville - 4 teams of 14-15 players

Looks like Martensville simply has less kids registered. Warman has the benefit of a second ice surface which has to help them out at least - Martensville really needs a second sheet of ice badly.

svhockey

Mar 4, 2016
The focus on competing at Westerns has already compromised the development of some Bantam AA players. Coaches have 12, 13 and 14 year old boys sitting for considerable minutes in games throughout the season and run practices in which the top line is getting significant reps while others stand around. Of course this isn't the case with all teams thankfully but it is happening.
Oh yeah and as for watering down the league, the league would be the same size as two years ago. That year Saskatoon had one extra team. Next year the league would be back to same size as then if vipers split. But perhaps some would argue that the league was even watered down then. Size of Bantam AA league and whether there should be AAA league and have with fewer teams and pros and cons of kids that age moving away from home will go back and forth for another 10 years. Always people on both sides of argument. And usually that is based on what is best for our own kid.

nah68

Sep 13, 2012
The focus on competing at Westerns has already compromised the development of some Bantam AA players. Coaches have 12, 13 and 14 year old boys sitting for considerable minutes in games throughout the season and run practices in which the top line is getting significant reps while others stand around. Of course this isn't the case with all teams thankfully but it is happening.

Your fighting the wrong fight, with this statement it proves to me that your willingness to split a team is because of the circumstance of what has happened to someone you know, or your son. Sorry to hear that if he didn't get the ice time, but it was your choice and the understanding of aa teams is that there is usually a split in ice time. We already have a system that develops kids at every level, the problem is some of us don't want to walk away from the aa embroidery on the back of our jackets. There's tier 2, 3 so why do you want the spilt, complaining about development in aa makes me think you maybe should have chosen tier 2. You are pushing for what you want for kids who are borderline aa players, and now you want to add another 20 borderline kids. Just to let you know, there will be very few kids that make midget aaa, and honestly its not the end of the world, the push right now is that 15year olds develop in aa. A lot of parents including myself thought that was stupid, but in hindsight it was the best for his development. And aaa coaches are more than willing to take a 16 year old that's ready instead of 15's that aren't.

Last edited by a moderator:

svhockey

Mar 4, 2016
Your fighting the wrong fight, with this statement it proves to me that your willingness to split a team is because of the circumstance of what has happened to someone you know, or your son. Sorry to hear that if he didn't get the ice time, but it was your choice and the understanding of aa teams is that there is usually a split in ice time. We already have a system that develops kids at every level, the problem is some of us don't want to walk away from the aa embroidery on the back of our jackets. There's tier 2, 3 so why do you want the spilt, complaining about development in aa makes me think you maybe should have chosen tier 2. You are pushing for what you want for kids who are borderline aa players, and now you want to add another 20 borderline kids. Just to let you know, there will be very few kids that make midget aaa, and honestly its not the end of the world, the push right now is that 15year olds develop in aa. A lot of parents including myself thought that was stupid, but in hindsight it was the best for his development. And aaa coaches are more than willing to take a 16 year old that's ready instead of 15's that aren't.
I actually agree and think most 15 year olds are better off shooting for midget aa as first years then hope to go to AAA as second years and also think a number of kids will play two years of AA and then go to AAA in their last year.
My issue is places like Warman and Martensville fighting against having their own AA bantam team. I haven't heard much about Warman but have heard Martensville is fighting against it. Sounds like people just concerned about their kid playing on a team that won't have a good record.
The other part is watching these coaches have some kids play 1 shift a period. And if that is in that kids best interest to allow them to compete then I sure hope that coach has some amazing practices that will help that kid get to the point that season that they can handle 2 shifts then 3 and finally more.shifts a period. I guess it is up to the agencies that oversee those programs to judge if there teams are doing the right things for the kids of thoae associations. Just hope they do that and not just look at there own kids.

Superbowlfishca

Aug 20, 2012
2016 SK WHL Draft Results

Very good draft for SK this year. Had twelve players picked in the top two rounds which is significant in that MB which is of similar population had only 4. This is the first time in a lot of years we have done this to MB.
2001 2000 1999
1st 4th,11th,12th 5th,7th,21st 6th,8th
2nd 9 5 3
3rd 5 4 2
4th 2 5 0
5th 4 2 2
6th 4 4 4
7th 2 3 4
8th-12th 10 7 8
Total 39 33 25

If a discussion around specific players happens I may chip in with “opinions” related to this.

IHA

Jun 23, 2016
CSSHL Bantam Players

Winnipeg will have a BAAA(A really - because thats what it is) team in the sport school league and ND about to jump in, someone in Saskatoon is what a year out and it's all over for elite community run bantam hockey in SK anyway. Add to that the just ok performance of the midget team relative to the other provinces and midgets are heading there too with Manitoba. Two years and CSSHL will be winning that tourney all the time too just like their bantams are dominating.

Seems like a lot of dissention in the SK ranks?;) If anyone knows of, or 'owns' a high level 02/03 that wants to explore the CSSHL ranks. Let me know. ;):)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad