Saskatchewan Minor Hockey Thread II

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you
Wanted to throw a quick shout out to all the Saskatchewan kids taken in the 2016 NHL draft. Connor Ingrams meteoric rise through the ranks is especially impressive and fun to watch. Hoping he crushes it at Team Canada camp this summer.

Also congrats to Garret Pilon for being the first product of the SHA chosen at this years draft, following in the footseps of guys like Braden Schenn, Scott Hartnell and Ryan Getzlaf.

Saskatchewan players chosen first in their draft year this century;

2016 - Garret Pilon, Saskatoon, SK - #87 Washington Capitals
2015 - Jesse Gabrielle, Moosomin, SK - #105 Boston Bruins
2014 - Haydn Fleury, Carlyle, SK - #7 Carolina Hurricanes
2013 - J.C. Lipon, Regina, SK - #91 Winnipeg Jets
2012 - Ryan Murray, White City, SK - #2 Columbus Blue Jackets
2011 - Harrison Ruopp, Zehner, SK - #84 Arizona Coyotes
2010 - Jayden Schwartz, Melfort, SK - #14 St. Louis Blues
2009 - Brayden Schenn, Saskatoon, SK - #5 Los Angeles Kings
2008 - Luke Schenn, Saskatoon, SK - #5 Toronto Maple Leafs
2007 - Garret Klotz, Regina, SK - #66 Philadelphia Flyers
2006 - Riley Holzapfel, Regina, SK - #43 Atlanta Thrashers
2005 - Ryan Parent, Prince Albert, SK - #18 Nashville Predators
2004 - Devan Dubnyk, Regina, SK - #14 Edmonton Oilers
2003 - Ryan Getzlaf, Regina, SK - #19 Anaheim Ducks
2002 - Boyd Gordon, Unity, SK - #17 Washington Capitals
2001 - Colby Armstrong, Lloyd Minster, SK - #21 Pittsburgh Penguins
2000 - Scott Hartnell, Regina, SK - #6 Nashville Predators

dickiedunnwrotethis

It's gotta be true.
May 16, 2009
saskatoon
So Labour Day weekend is over. Everyone is probably still in hockey hibernation, but I thought I would get things rolling.

I'm hearing rumblings of an AAA league again. Can anyone confirm?

Any news out of Sask Valley? WEHP speculated they might get some help for Westerns a la West Central a few years ago.

In the North it looks like Sask Valley, North East, and West Central. Then Humboldt and a couple of Saskatoon clubs. Out of the running likely North Battleford, Prince Albert, and another Saskatoon club or two. Am I out to lunch?

In the South I see Swift Current, Yorkton, and one Regina team. Prairie Storm, Estevan, and maybe another Regina club in the middle. Weyburn and Moose Jaw look like they were decimated by Notre Dame so I'm guessing they're in the bottom third with Melville. Any thoughts from anyone closer to that scene?

Any other issues worth exploring?

Indy guy

Sep 6, 2016
AAA league

So Labour Day weekend is over. Everyone is probably still in hockey hibernation, but I thought I would get things rolling.

I'm hearing rumblings of an AAA league again. Can anyone confirm?

Any news out of Sask Valley? WEHP speculated they might get some help for Westerns a la West Central a few years ago.

In the North it looks like Sask Valley, North East, and West Central. Then Humboldt and a couple of Saskatoon clubs. Out of the running likely North Battleford, Prince Albert, and another Saskatoon club or two. Am I out to lunch?

In the South I see Swift Current, Yorkton, and one Regina team. Prairie Storm, Estevan, and maybe another Regina club in the middle. Weyburn and Moose Jaw look like they were decimated by Notre Dame so I'm guessing they're in the bottom third with Melville. Any thoughts from anyone closer to that scene?

Any other issues worth exploring?
Spring meeting was quite favourable to creating a AAA bantam league and using the AA league as a feeder system. It is in SHA's court now. Pretty quiet out there but the rink will be astir this weekend.

dickiedunnwrotethis

It's gotta be true.
May 16, 2009
saskatoon
Spring meeting was quite favourable to creating a AAA bantam league and using the AA league as a feeder system. It is in SHA's court now. Pretty quiet out there but the rink will be astir this weekend.

Thanks for the info. Do you know the rationale for going in this direction or what kind of structure is being entertained (i.e., how many teams and where)?

TitanJofaDaoust

Jan 21, 2013
A AAA bantam league will have 14 year olds move away to play hockey in a province that is developing young players better than anywhere else in Western Canada.. and at a fraction of the cost. Education of these young men will suffer and the cost to develop will increase substantially. Cost will likely be on par with AAA midget -- 6-10K per season.

Why?

dickiedunnwrotethis

It's gotta be true.
May 16, 2009
saskatoon
A AAA bantam league will have 14 year olds move away to play hockey in a province that is developing young players better than anywhere else in Western Canada.. and at a fraction of the cost. Education of these young men will suffer and the cost to develop will increase substantially. Cost will likely be on par with AAA midget -- 6-10K per season.

Why?

All good points. Before changes of this magnitude are instituted we need dialogue with stakeholders and some transparency.

Firecracker

Jul 3, 2015
Don't really see the need for AAA in Sask. Right now they are producing talent with the ability to stay at home while playing AA. As an American it seems like Sask is a lot like Minnesota which is where a lot of the US talent comes from.

SaskRinkRat

Apr 1, 2010
Does anyone know what the process will be for determining whether they're moving to a AAA league or not? When a decision might be made?

This stuff always seems so cloak and dagger.

nah68

Sep 13, 2012
Just to point out obvious, sv 5th in north, saskatoon 1st! Let's split sv next year so they are last and second last. Whining stopped pretty fast when saskatoon took over top spots. Not complaining just pointing out that it doesn't make sense to split!

dickiedunnwrotethis

It's gotta be true.
May 16, 2009
saskatoon
Just to point out obvious, sv 5th in north, saskatoon 1st! Let's split sv next year so they are last and second last. Whining stopped pretty fast when saskatoon took over top spots. Not complaining just pointing out that it doesn't make sense to split!

Let's see. Four points behind the first place Outlaws with one less game played. One of the best forwards in the province hasn't played a game for them yet. What would have been their second best forward currently leads the Stallions in scoring. Yep, it's obvious. The SV drawing area is too weak to compete. Maybe they could add Humboldt to give them a fighting chance?

nah68

Sep 13, 2012
Let's see. Four points behind the first place Outlaws with one less game played. One of the best forwards in the province hasn't played a game for them yet. What would have been their second best forward currently leads the Stallions in scoring. Yep, it's obvious. The SV drawing area is too weak to compete. Maybe they could add Humboldt to give them a fighting chance?

You don't get it, your idea of a equal league is top 2 teams destroy others, mid 4 compete occasionally and the bottom 6 get crushed....instead of the parody we had last year and now.

hockeyviewer

May 26, 2013
Anybody else notice the big increase in concussions this year in AAA midget this year. I think this is directly related to taking hitting out of peewee. These kids are the one who learned to play longer with their heads down and never learned the proper way to give or take a check. I think it will only get worse unless they put hitting back into lower levels or give severe punishments to any hits that cause injuries (not just concussions) which will probably take out any physical aspect the game now has.

TitanJofaDaoust

Jan 21, 2013
Anybody else notice the big increase in concussions this year in AAA midget this year. I think this is directly related to taking hitting out of peewee. These kids are the one who learned to play longer with their heads down and never learned the proper way to give or take a check. I think it will only get worse unless they put hitting back into lower levels or give severe punishments to any hits that cause injuries (not just concussions) which will probably take out any physical aspect the game now has.

Do you have data that confirms a 'big increase in concussions'? -- serious question

In my opinion a 16 year old kid has no connection to his 11 year self. 'Body contact' or not at peewee plays no role in their ability to protect themselves or not several years later. If 'hitting' is permitted in the lower levels won't that increase concussions in the lower levels? This seems counter productive.. Maybe 'hitting' should only be permitted at the elite levels within hockey. I trust that Hockey Canada and their resources have our children's best interests in mind..

svhockey

Mar 4, 2016
There is zero chance that a Bantam AAA league will be supported by SHA and start up in Sask in the next couple years if ever. The proposal was very weak. Arguments on less cost and less travel made no sense. Keep focusing on trying to get even better coaching at the Bantam AA level. it is pretty weak in some areas. As well let's see coaches in novice, atom and pee wee focusing on development (skating, passing, stickhandling; hockey IQ) versus systems and winning and we will see the benefit by the time they get to bantam and midget, imo.

supertacks

Aug 29, 2011
Response to Nov26, 2011 question. Sask minor hockey [1]

Northernblizzard asked in response to a girl being picked to play defense on Battlefords bantam on Boys team.
" Is Avery really that good" Or is some political reason she is on the team?

Well. I just read Avery Fransoo is on a scholarship in the US, Provedence University.
Not to shabby!!

So Northernblizzard and IDC, " Is Avery really that good"?

DAMN STRAIGHT she is!!!!

Some good reads if you search for them.

Last edited:

hockeyviewer

May 26, 2013
Not sure if anyone reads this anymore. Anybody planning on playing AAA midget in Tisdale better do their homework. There are a few the past years who have quit because of coaching antics and one this year who cannot play all the time due to stress of being yelled at all the time. Not saying don't go there just make sure you know what you are getting into. Check around and see how many promised spots have been given out before camp- usually way more than available. I have not been personally burned by this organization but have heard from a lot of reliable people it is getting out of hand there this year. I am guessing that Mann has a year or two left and can't take it he may go out on a losing note.

Round John

Sep 9, 2003
Visit site
Saskatchewan Midget AAA

Regina Pat Canadians sweep the Yorkton RawTec Maulers 3-0 to win their series. The Pat Canadians will play the winner of the Tisdale Trojans Prince Albert Mintos series. Tisdale leads that series 2-1.

Saskatchewan Bantam AA

Sask Valley Vipers beat the Saskatoon Maniacs 4-3 yesterday to win their best of 3 2 games to 1. The Swift Current Kabos Broncos beat the Prairie Storm 4-2 to win their best of 3 also 2 games to 1.

Saskatoon minor hockey going to four tiers?

Sounds like SMHA will add a fourth tier for the 2017-18 season. They'd be going out on their own as the first in Saskatchewan to add a fourth tier. Interested to see how this will work out short term, and to see if other hockey associations have to/or will follow suit.

hockeyviewer

May 26, 2013
If an association has enough players they should have as many tiers As possible then players will always be playing against their own caliber and always be able to compete. In smaller centers there are sometimes tier 1 players playing with and against tier 3 or 4- this does neither any good. NE has tried to make a tier 1 atom team but it is tough as kids live 100-150 km from each other to much travel in my opinion both for practices and games(tournaments only as no league to play in)

Hcky124

Jun 27, 2017
If an association has enough players they should have as many tiers As possible then players will always be playing against their own caliber and always be able to compete. In smaller centers there are sometimes tier 1 players playing with and against tier 3 or 4- this does neither any good. NE has tried to make a tier 1 atom team but it is tough as kids live 100-150 km from each other to much travel in my opinion both for practices and games(tournaments only as no league to play in)

Great idea but not practicable for all associations other than large urban centers. For example if North Battleford wanted to tier their peewees for example - Where would the tier 1 players play as there is no league. Currently those that don't make the AA team are split into equal teams to play in Highway 14 or STEP. So yes there are players that are tier 1 playing with tier 4 plays which make development difficult.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->