Sarnia Sting 2023-24 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Hall is out and it looks like Shwindt is back.
See if he's actually gonna play. His injury was reportedly pretty bad and one that would keep him out months.

One helluva quick recovery or maybe just wanted to start his final game and won't play.

Reactions: Jason M

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
See if he's actually gonna play. His injury was reportedly pretty bad and one that would keep him out months.

One helluva quick recovery or maybe just wanted to start his final game and won't play.
My guess would be the latter. He likely wants to at least be in uni for his final OHL game.
I haven’t had much to say this year, but considering the lack of talent in the 19/20 yr olds, and the overall age of the team, I’ve been very pleased by the effort, and I’ve gotten my money’s worth all season.
Lots of injuries, but it may as well happen during a down year rather than have a contender riddled with the same injury bug.
Thanks for your comments all year.

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
Schwindt is listed as the RES (extra skater for warm-up) on the scorers sheet. Likely exactly what you've all said, he just wants to be in uniform

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Full marks to Saginaw. Their possession/control game is damn impressive. Line after line. Just to much for this young of a team. They're hanging in there tho

Reactions: howler2

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
Full marks to Saginaw. Their possession/control game is damn impressive. Line after line. Just to much for this young of a team. They're hanging in there tho
Yeah Saginaw is very impressive. On the Sting side, Surzycia has settled in after a shaky start and made around five high quality saves to keep the team in the game. He always seems to play super well against Saginaw for some reason. Young has been playing well tonight. Has had a few blocks, got the best of Parekh on a 1v1 when it was 4 on 4, has the goal and had another good opportunity as the 4 on 4 expired

Reactions: StingUpdates

NBBFan

Nov 9, 2023
Lines are all over the place tonight. Playing one of the top teams and we are experimenting with match ups. I know we are out but at least give us a chance to compete.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
What an absolute clown show of officiating at the end! Ferguson should never ref an OHL game ever again!
Why is it every time a game gets stupid it's one of the long time vets reffing?

Darcy Burchell, Scott Ferguson, Ryan Hutchison, Joe Monette. Always always always one of those 4 absolute idiots.

Game was so poorly called all night. 0 consistency. Wouldn't go speak to Letang who's almost always a very level headed, respectful HC to deal with. Just pure idiocy.

Be very fitting tho, if Haley's final game as AC was him getting ejected. Very fitting. Haha.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
As for the game they battled as hard as they could. I give them a ton of credit for being willing to continue blocking shots late in the game with the season over. Letang & Co have to be very proud of that 5on3 PK late.

Saginaw is really impressive. Their pace is so high & their chemistry looked fantastic. Swarmed Sarnia all night. We never had any space or time to think. They can whip it around the OZ better than any team I've seen. Gonna be one tough out.

Young is ending the season really goddamn strong IMO. He is so dynamic out there. Wainwright nasty SHG. Andersen 1A again & I thought played a pretty solid game. So aggresive & chippy. Really does give me Alec Leonard vibes from LDN.

I pray O'Toole has a good summer. I love this kid. In every scrum. Wants all the smoke. Going at it with Hache in the box. Kid is fearless. We need someone like that.

Nice to see surzycia ending strong. Fitting with how hard he works he ended with some hard work type saves at the end.

Best of luck to Marko, Cooper & Kai. Not the best trio of OAs we've ever seen, but great teammates, leaders & hard workers. Could see on the bench at the end how much the young guys respect them. In a few years you'll hear the current U17s mention how much those guys did for them & taught them

Onto the final one.

Reactions: SarniaStingFan

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
My guess would be the latter. He likely wants to at least be in uni for his final OHL game.
I haven’t had much to say this year, but considering the lack of talent in the 19/20 yr olds, and the overall age of the team, I’ve been very pleased by the effort, and I’ve gotten my money’s worth all season.
Lots of injuries, but it may as well happen during a down year rather than have a contender riddled with the same injury bug.
Thanks for your comments all year.
U were right, as always haha. I have too. Think they showed a lot of promise. A veteran team would've had issues losing so many Dmen let alone one this young. As u said hopefully better now than the next few years.

Hopefully we can get back to last year's run & get you back to the W countdown! Haha. Thanks for the kind words. Enjoy the summer

Flyers 1st

Oct 12, 2015
Why is it every time a game gets stupid it's one of the long time vets reffing?

Darcy Burchell, Scott Ferguson, Ryan Hutchison, Joe Monette. Always always always one of those 4 absolute idiots.

Game was so poorly called all night. 0 consistency. Wouldn't go speak to Letang who's almost always a very level headed, respectful HC to deal with. Just pure idiocy.

Be very fitting tho, if Haley's final game as AC was him getting ejected. Very fitting. Haha.
These guys think they are the ALPHA Dogs of the OHL when in fact most fans who have watched them would say they are only qualified to work JR C games . The league needs to get more ex CHL players in involved in the officiating aspect and force the low ranked clowns out

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Seca was on the Sting Buzz show with Doyle this week. I really am such a big fan of him. I've said before many of the reasons why so no need to go over them again, but we are in good hands with him, I think.

Easy to forget he is so so young in the GM game & I think he's done a fantastic job in a championship push year & in this season a rebuilding year.

Have heard so many good things about him from former players, people who work in the building etc.

Look forward to see what type of off season he puts together here starting with the draft. I think with the right summer they could be a sneaky solid team next year.

Flyers 1st

Oct 12, 2015
It was kind of odd to see Seca pop out to land behind the bench , sans tie after Haley got tossed . We saw him gesture to that clown Ferguson that "he wanted a word" as the officials left the ice. Do Seca and Jeffrey run the bench Sat night vs Flint? Just need to select a couple of "larger" forwards in draft that don't take the crap these rookies have been tolerating this year. On to the draft picks mini-camp

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
As for the game they battled as hard as they could. I give them a ton of credit for being willing to continue blocking shots late in the game with the season over. Letang & Co have to be very proud of that 5on3 PK late.

Saginaw is really impressive. Their pace is so high & their chemistry looked fantastic. Swarmed Sarnia all night. We never had any space or time to think. They can whip it around the OZ better than any team I've seen. Gonna be one tough out.

Young is ending the season really goddamn strong IMO. He is so dynamic out there. Wainwright nasty SHG. Andersen 1A again & I thought played a pretty solid game. So aggresive & chippy. Really does give me Alec Leonard vibes from LDN.

I pray O'Toole has a good summer. I love this kid. In every scrum. Wants all the smoke. Going at it with Hache in the box. Kid is fearless. We need someone like that.

Nice to see surzycia ending strong. Fitting with how hard he works he ended with some hard work type saves at the end.

Best of luck to Marko, Cooper & Kai. Not the best trio of OAs we've ever seen, but great teammates, leaders & hard workers. Could see on the bench at the end how much the young guys respect them. In a few years you'll hear the current U17s mention how much those guys did for them & taught them

Onto the final one.
I loved the physicality and shot blocking of the team tonight. They didn't back down against a much more experienced team. So many great guys in the mix for the d-core next season. Fischer/Young/Hurt/Barr should be a great top four. Andersen/Bridgewater/Omeri/O'Toole should all be battling for those final two spots. That's not even mentioning any guys we may get in upcoming draft. I feel like next year's d-core should have a good mix of skating, size, and snarl. Young perfectly exemplifies all of that. He's so good when he plays with the controlled aggression like he did tonight on the offensive end. I thought tonight was one of his better games on the defensive end too. Blocked a few shots, made a nice play on Parekh on a 1v1, and made a nice read on the PK.

Surzycia deserves so much more credit than he gets. His numbers weren't particularly great but he made so many timely saves. The second period was the best example of that when he made great save after great save when the team was down 3-1. The kid is the definition of a gamer. Hopefully we can get a W to close out the season tomorrow night

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
I loved the physicality and shot blocking of the team tonight. They didn't back down against a much more experienced team. So many great guys in the mix for the d-core next season. Fischer/Young/Hurt/Barr should be a great top four. Andersen/Bridgewater/Omeri/O'Toole should all be battling for those final two spots. That's not even mentioning any guys we may get in upcoming draft. I feel like next year's d-core should have a good mix of skating, size, and snarl. Young perfectly exemplifies all of that. He's so good when he plays with the controlled aggression like he did tonight on the offensive end. I thought tonight was one of his better games on the defensive end too. Blocked a few shots, made a nice play on Parekh on a 1v1, and made a nice read on the PK.

Surzycia deserves so much more credit than he gets. His numbers weren't particularly great but he made so many timely saves. The second period was the best example of that when he made great save after great save when the team was down 3-1. The kid is the definition of a gamer. Hopefully we can get a W to close out the season tomorrow night
Agreed. Fischer-Barr, Hurt-Young I'd love to see. All 4 are mobile, solid size & all are reliable defensively. Barr was really starting to rack up points before his injury. Young has pretty high PT potential I think. Fischer solid offensively this season.

All 4 gonna be around the next 2 seasons. That's how you build a championship Dcore like LDN. They all develop & grow together.

I'm really high on Bridgewater. I think he'll make the team, but that's totally up to the players. Have said before but I feel Omeri may end up being the odd man out. I've honestly been really surprised by Andersen. He's really yet to be exposed hard like you'd anticipate a late RD rookie too. He defends hard. Maybe adds in inch or two & 15 pounds & he could be a really solid defensive Dman. Andersen-Bridgewater 3rd pair would seem like a good fit with one being offensive minded, great at passing/skating it up & the other being snarly, aggresive reliable.

I worry O'Toole simply won't have the puck skills to be a regular but damn do I like his style haha. U can tell if he didn't have that cage on he'd have a few fights already. Could be a useful 7th D if all else fails.

Very exciting to me that they really shouldn't have to touch their defense much for years to come. Obviously when they wanna win maybe they'll need a true 1 or a big PT producer depending on how guys develop but also a chance they won't.

Add some high end talent up front to go w/Brown, Kostuch, Wainwright, Doherty, Moses & hopefully Luecke, Sim & they'll have a really promising team the next few years.

Last edited:

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
Really like top 6 forwards next year and top 5 D next year.
Bottom 4 forwards I like too with hall doherty lominac moses after we get high end imports We hope!

Surzycia I think now comes back as 3rd OA

Very exciting next couple years cant wait to get un rink again next year

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Huh? What happened?

Got tossed from the game for Abuse of Officials. I don't know the details but there was much discussion on here and Twitter last night. The ruling just came down a bit ago and I thought I'd post it on here. I come in peace haha

Figured when he went full torts and wouldn't leave he'd get some games. Ferguson got what he wanted. Star of the show. Everybody looking at him. Clown.

"Coach, should we get the blank check ready for post-game?" LOL

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
Interesting to see that Haley hasn't been suspended despite getting a game misconduct for the same thing in the game last night. I guess the league must have deemed that wasn't a rightful ejection. I would guess he'll be the acting head coach tonight

Davis Boyer

Apr 27, 2020
It was kind of odd to see Seca pop out to land behind the bench , sans tie after Haley got tossed . We saw him gesture to that clown Ferguson that "he wanted a word" as the officials left the ice. Do Seca and Jeffrey run the bench Sat night vs Flint? Just need to select a couple of "larger" forwards in draft that don't take the crap these rookies have been tolerating this year. On to the draft picks mini-camp

I really liked the response from Seca. His team was in a tough spot and he immediately had the group settled down. Might seem small but to kill off almost a full 2min 5on3 against one of the leagues most talented pp units was a great way to end a season for the group and fans.

I've really enjoyed my time on this page- a lot of passion and optimism is very cool to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad