Sarnia Sting 2023-24 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
Totally agree Letang doing whatever he can to mentally affect players.
Moses to 4th. Wainwright back to 3rd, way gets 2nd again.

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
Stat line is going to look awful for Chartier but he's played fairly well. Three goals on 2v1, one a terrible bounce off the glass, and then a breakaway goal. Omeri and Young have gotten caught several times tonight. Turnover by Young on the first goal, bad step up by Omeri on the third goal, Young got caught deep in the o-zone on the fourth goal, and then Omeri does the same on the fifth goal. Can't have those types of mistakes against a top team. Hopefully they can clean it up in the third to help Chartier's stat line look respectable. Nice goal by Kostuch. He's got one hell of a shot and showed it off again. Beating one the league's best goalies that easily is impressive. Good moves by Young at the blueline to set him up

Reactions: StingUpdates

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Much like @ NB, @ SBY, @ LDN, @ SSM they hang in there for awhile but eventually get overwhelmed. Not much Chartier could do tonight. Odd man rushes left & right vs some of the league's best player.

Oshawa is a damn good team. Might be my favorite in the east.

Brightside Kostuch was awesome tonight. Again. Not much to dislike in his game. Gonna be so good. I thought Andersen was good again. Got some praise from the OSH commentary team, too. Liking his game. Simple & aggresive. Another PT for Doherty. 4G/5A last 15 games. Assists in 3 straight. Great to see.

3 games left.

Reactions: SarniaStingFan

Jason M

Nov 13, 2019
Much like @ NB, @ SBY, @ LDN, @ SSM they hang in there for awhile but eventually get overwhelmed. Not much Chartier could do tonight. Odd man rushes left & right vs some of the league's best player.

Oshawa is a damn good team. Might be my favorite in the east.

Brightside Kostuch was awesome tonight. Again. Not much to dislike in his game. Gonna be so good. I thought Andersen was good again. Got some praise from the OSH commentary team, too. Liking his game. Simple & aggresive. Another PT for Doherty. 4G/5A last 15 games. Assists in 3 straight. Great to see.

3 games left.
Also despite the score I thought Chartier played one of his best games this year.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Also despite the score I thought Chartier played one of his best games this year.
Yah might be the best 7GA game I've ever seen lmao. Legitimately had to be 5 absurd saves. He's so athletic. Just gotta reign in the movements sometimes.

Big summer and he's got the tools. Hopefully he has one.

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
Yah might be the best 7GA game I've ever seen lmao. Legitimately had to be 5 absurd saves. He's so athletic. Just gotta reign in the movements sometimes.

Big summer and he's got the tools. Hopefully he has one.
His summer will play a big part in how high the Sting finish next season. They need him to look like he did tonight on a more consistent basis. It's hard to get a read on him because the coaching staff doesn't know when to use a backup. His last four starts have been against North Bay, Sudbury, Mississauga, and Oshawa which all are contending teams. Goalies should have been reversed this weekend. Let Surzycia have tonight and play Chartier against Flint so you don't kill his confidence. It's been a month and half since his last win

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
Coach doesn't have a clue how to build players confidence. Chartier is just as good as Surzycia better glove but is way wilder in Net like gaudreau was take himself out of net much

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Draft lottery is March 27th. 9 days away.

10% odds for us most likely. Just hoping they can get into the top 3 for one of those Fs. Tho u never know if guys will wanna report to NIA.

Flyers 1st

Oct 12, 2015
His summer will play a big part in how high the Sting finish next season. They need him to look like he did tonight on a more consistent basis. It's hard to get a read on him because the coaching staff doesn't know when to use a backup. His last four starts have been against North Bay, Sudbury, Mississauga, and Oshawa which all are contending teams. Goalies should have been reversed this weekend. Let Surzycia have tonight and play Chartier against Flint so you don't kill his confidence. It's been a month and half since his last win
How the hell does Chartier know what he has to work on if he doesn't see top teams? Seeing puck's at practice or during games vs lower rung teams isn't the same as battling snipers on the better teams . I think the Sting know they have a good rookie goalie and with a team not playoff bound want to see how he handles the adversity and working on the weak spots . If the team moves on from Surzycia and use Maillet this approach may have been the only way

Reactions: howler2

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
How the hell does Chartier know what he has to work on if he doesn't see top teams? Seeing puck's at practice or during games vs lower rung teams isn't the same as battling snipers on the better teams . I think the Sting know they have a good rookie goalie and with a team not playoff bound want to see how he handles the adversity and working on the weak spots . If the team moves on from Surzycia and use Maillet this approach may have been the only way
playing the back up against the worst team in hockey, thats how every single goalie in the histroy of pro hockey has worked up the ladder?

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Welp Chartier hurt his foot or ankle. Done for the season. May as well have one more stroke of bad luck before it's all said and done. So ends his rookie year.

Showed some good. Showed some bad. Has a lot to work on to become a good OHL goalie. Certainly has the tools. Hopefully he can have a good off season & come to camp ready to go.

They recalled Phillips so doesn't seem like Maillet will see a game. I don't think he's been with the team so maybe he also suffered an injury towards the end of his season.

Jason M

Nov 13, 2019
Welp Chartier hurt his foot or ankle. Done for the season. May as well have one more stroke of bad luck before it's all said and done. So ends his rookie year.

Showed some good. Showed some bad. Has a lot to work on to become a good OHL goalie. Certainly has the tools. Hopefully he can have a good off season & come to camp ready to go.

They recalled Phillips so doesn't seem like Maillet will see a game. I don't think he's been with the team so maybe he also suffered an injury towards the end of his season.
I hope Maillet is injured cause there is no damn reason he shouldn't be here. And if he isn't injured then what was the point of signing him months ago.

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
You kidding me Young? What a stupid penalty. Just woke hounds up

1st fischer then young?? 2 guys cant do that.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
That Fischer call was atrocious. He lifted the SSM players stick & he hit himself in the face. Terrible call that started the Avalanche.

Feel for Surzycia. He played great. If not for that call who knows what the final stats are for him.

PK such a mess in 2024. Hopefully with more experience & healthy defense it's better next year.

Onto the home finale.

Reactions: TonyB

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
Well not having an OA D that can take care of own end huge issue with build, D coach as well, big decline since sullivan left. There are some peices on back end but need mentoring. Too much mixing in blender lines upfront as well last 2 months. Letang needs to wake up for next year but I still think he is a poser for head coach, just says all right things in interviews but can't teach or lead. That's my take on him hope he proves me wrong next year

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
Surzycia played outstanding and kept the Sting in a game they didn't deserve to be in. The penalties by Fischer and Young can't happen. You're the two most veteran defencemen on the team, you can't be taking careless penalties that ultimately cost the team the game. Disappointed by the lack of push back after the flurry of goals by the Soo. Following that the Sting had two shots and such little o-zone that they weren't even able to pull Surzycia. To cap it all off I'm not sure I saw Hurt at all in the third period. He went down awkwardly in the first and seeemed to be flexing his shoulder a bit. Hopefully it's nothing too serious

Reactions: TonyB

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Surzycia played outstanding and kept the Sting in a game they didn't deserve to be in. The penalties by Fischer and Young can't happen. You're the two most veteran defencemen on the team, you can't be taking careless penalties that ultimately cost the team the game. Disappointed by the lack of push back after the flurry of goals by the Soo. Following that the Sting had two shots and such little o-zone that they weren't even able to pull Surzycia. To cap it all off I'm not sure I saw Hurt at all in the third period. He went down awkwardly in the first and seeemed to be flexing his shoulder a bit. Hopefully it's nothing too serious
Went back and watched his shifts. He took one pretty normal hit into the boards. Didn't react to it but from there on our (about 7 minutes left in 1st) he looked scared/hesitant to engage physically before going off on his final shift late favoring it.

Why fricken not right. May as well have another injury, especially on D before it's all gone. Hopefully minor don't want it effecting his off season. Been a tremendous bright spot for us.

howler2

Apr 9, 2023
Realistically concidering opponent and the injuries and the age , 5 on 5 they did pretty well. 2 out of 3 goals on the PP and scoring their goal on a PP. I cannot criticize them. They work pretty hard. I see a fairly bright future for this team .

Reactions: StingUpdates

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Welp final home game already. These seasons go by so fast. Hopefully Sikic & Way can finish off their home careers with good games. Two troopers who always give it 100%.

Intrigued to see Saginaw a week out from playoffs. They are still playing for 1st so I don't anticipate an overly close game. But hopefully the boys can give it their best shot.

donjohnson

Jan 29, 2013
Welp final home game already. These seasons go by so fast. Hopefully Sikic & Way can finish off their home careers with good games. Two troopers who always give it 100%.

Intrigued to see Saginaw a week out from playoffs. They are still playing for 1st so I don't anticipate an overly close game. But hopefully the boys can give it their best shot.
If Saginaw plays like they did last weekend, it WILL be a close game. Saginaw needs to finish the season out strong regardless of the conference race. It's unlikely that London will lose in the final two but we need to play well and hopefully put the smack down on the Sting but our games are always very competitive so I'll be interested to watch. Hopefully the bus leaves early enough today as the roads are pretty crappy in Saginaw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad