Sarnia Sting 2022-23 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
Gaudreau had b

Gaudreau had better stats than Thornton did last year, i probably would have got rid of him too. Also the coyotes signed Thornton which really means nothing because they are the sting of the NHL. Ya gaudreau has been terrible this year I’m on board with that but the last couples years our team defence was god aweful, we were getting 40-50 shots on average and he was keeping us in games or atleast keeping games close. His numbers weren’t great in those years but facing that many shots and that many high danger chances on a nightly basis almost no goalies in the league would have good numbers. He is a completely different goalie this year plain and simple. That’s all I’m going to write on that. He definitely needs to be better but he he’s definitely significantly worse that the past years. Him at 16 years old was a lot better than he is now.
LOL being signed by a NHL team means nothing? Trying to discredit Thornton because he was signed by a bad franchise is a wild thing to do. Thornton always looked better in net than Gaudreau.... lol 40-50 shots per game is a massive embellishment but I agree he's gotten worse every year.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
And the coaching staff will reward his poor play against a bottom feeder team by giving him Sundays game. Zero accountability from Letang but I wonder how much influence Seca has since he was the dummy that drafted him 7th overall and it’s not exactly working out too well. But hey….keep going with the excuses. We must put feelings above all else before putting a quality product on the ice. :rolleyes:
Sinclair drafted him. not that it matters haha.

I'm not ignoring his start last night. It wasn't good. He looked off from the get go. Usually his rebound control is a strong point but last night it was horrible for whatever reason.

Surzycia definitely deserves more of an opportunity. Didn't help they didn't show up last night. Even when your goalie has a bad rebound you should be able to clear it or tie up a stick. Some of those goals were ugly to watch with how many guys were standing around.

It's frankly so god damn bizarre watching him some nights though. It's like he & his goalie coach spent the whole summer changing his game. He was such a technically strong goalie even at 16 years old. It feels like he's regressed heavily in that way.

It'll be Gaudreau again tomorrow I imagine & fingers crossed its a solid start. He needs it & we need it.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Howler

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Sinclair drafted him. not that it matters haha.

I'm not ignoring his start last night. It wasn't good. He looked off from the get go. Usually his rebound control is a strong point but last night it was horrible for whatever reason.

Surzycia definitely deserves more of an opportunity. Didn't help they didn't show up last night. Even when your goalie has a bad rebound you should be able to clear it or tie up a stick. Some of those goals were ugly to watch with how many guys were standing around.

It'll be Gaudreau again tomorrow I imagine & fingers crossed its a solid start.
Well I guess I’m the dummy then lol. Thought he was Seca’s 1st draft. My bad.

How much more leniency do you give Gaudreau if this is the new norm for him?

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Well I guess I’m the dummy then lol. Thought he was Seca’s 1st draft. My bad.

How much more leniency do you give Gaudreau if this is the new norm for him?
He'll get a lot from the team. We saw that last year with a stud as his backup. He struggled hard in FEB-ish & they doubled down & gave him all the starts to end the season going into playoffs & it worked. But it looks a lot different this season.

I've truly never seen this before where a guy who showed signs of being at the very least a solid starter has just suddenly fallen off a cliff as a 19 year old. It almost never happens. Like we can argue how good he ever was, but you cant deny he had a bunch of starts in his other seasons where he'd be unbelievable & stop like 42/45 & give us a chance to win. Hell he faced 50 some nights & gave us a chance. This year he genuinely I don't think has done that once where you left a game & thought, thank god for Gaudreau or else that could've been bad. He's had a handful of really solid, good starts, some middling ones & some terrible ones. No truly great ones like he's shown in the past he can have. The one thing that gives me hope is technically the last 2 games is the best he's looked for positioning in awhile & he wasn't beat by clean shots which was an issue pre-WJC. Now he just needs to clean up the rebounds lol.

Crazy as it sounds im not sure there is a leash unless he really, really stinks it up for a prolonged stretch. He's there guy. always has been. For me, I'd say he gets to the LDN home&home weekend on FEB 17th & 18th. They play a lot of easy matchups (SSM X3, KIT? X2, SBY, GUE) mixed with 2or3 tough ones in that time. After that its LDN, LDN, FLT, LDN, SAG, NB, SSM, LDN, WSR. Our toughest 9 game stretch of the year. If he cant figure it out by then, give Surzcyia the net for that stretch & see what he's got..

God, isn't this just wonderful in a go for it year..

Last edited:

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
Jumping in here as a Petes fan ....I was impressed enough with the Sting and Gaudreau after they beat the Petes that I checked out their game with Kingston. As with some of the other upsets in the OHL last night, hard work often beats talent. Kingston was going hard to the net and there wasn't much sign of the Stings' tight defensive structure that stymied the Petes 24 hours earlier. Gaudreau made several point-blank stops with no rebound given. With Gaudreau, it is alarming to think that , wasn't he JUST the starting goalie for Canada in the WJC? (until let in some softies vs Czechia) .

And Sting fans are skeptical of him being the starter for the Sting! It does remind me of my own frustration with Othmann on the Petes who shone at the WJC but with the Petes he's been impressive at times but meh, at other times.

Reactions: StingUpdates

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Why isn't Surzycia our starting goalie? Or at least 50/50. Gaudreau starting last night was such a coaching blunder. I can't be the only one that see ever single shot being kicked out directly into the slot. At this point everyone knows hes bad and there is no improvement coming. I hear it's just 'no confidence" but I'm not buying that either. Since entering the league Ben has been in the basement in every goalie statistic. Our management not going with Thornton is gonna bite us in the ass. We decided to trade a goalie who is SIGNED with an NHL team to keep Ben who was a 3rd round pick still UNSIGNED... why? The NHL saw Thornton was better ... why not Sarnia too?
Goalies! :)
In the first 20 games it appeared that Barrie had been Danned in the Thornton deal with Sarnia. The goalie Barrie acquired for 12th from Erie looked just as good.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
And the coaching staff will reward his poor play against a bottom feeder team by giving him Sundays game. Zero accountability from Letang but I wonder how much influence Seca has since he was the dummy that drafted him 7th overall and it’s not exactly working out too well. But hey….keep going with the excuses. We must put feelings above all else before putting a quality product on the ice. :rolleyes:
I’m just baffled how he can come in and play good against the Pete’s and then the next night he’s junk again Kingston. I’d be playing Suryzcia tomorrow.

Reactions: Ferda11

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
LOL being signed by a NHL team means nothing? Trying to discredit Thornton because he was signed by a bad franchise is a wild thing to do. Thornton always looked better in net than Gaudreau.... lol 40-50 shots per game is a massive embellishment but I agree he's gotten worse every year.
No I’m just saying the coyotes make a lot of bad decisions with their organization and it clearly shows based on their history. And he always looked better in net? They had the same team infront of them last year and who’s numbers were better both GAA and Save % Pretty easy to say last year gaudreau was better. So why wouldn’t you keep the goalie with the better numbers in both categories? If Thornton had the better numbers I would of said keep him, but he didn’t.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Dam was hoping we'd have a full crew tomorrow to see how we match up afainst u guys, but looks like we'll be down 4-5 players including three of our top 6. Hopefully we give u guys a game anyway tomorrow.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Well if g
Dam was hoping we'd have a full crew tomorrow to see how we match up afainst u guys, but looks like we'll be down 4-5 players including three of our top 6. Hopefully we give u guys a game anyway tomorrow.
Well if gaudreau is in net he will let in 2-3 bad one’s probably.

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
Gaudreau will get the start tomorrow, I think we all know that. (not saying he should) But if he looks shaky again like he did last night give him the week off next week to work on things. Surzycia proved to be more than capable of being the starter when Gaudreau was off at the World Juniors. He had an .890 save percentage over those 11 games. You're playing Erie and Kitchener next week, two of the lower teams in the conference. Good games for Surzycia to play. From there I'd play Gaudreau against the Soo, Surzycia against Saginaw, Gaudreau against Kitchener, and then Gaudreau against the Soo again. To recap, I'd give Gaudreau next week off to reset and then I'd give him easier games to get his confidence up

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Gaudreau will get the start tomorrow, I think we all know that. (not saying he should) But if he looks shaky again like he did last night give him the week off next week to work on things. Surzycia proved to be more than capable of being the starter when Gaudreau was off at the World Juniors. He had an .890 save percentage over those 11 games. You're playing Erie and Kitchener next week, two of the lower teams in the conference. Good games for Surzycia to play. From there I'd play Gaudreau against the Soo, Surzycia against Saginaw, Gaudreau against Kitchener, and then Gaudreau against the Soo again. To recap, I'd give Gaudreau next week off to reset and then I'd give him easier games to get his confidence up
Two thumbs up from me if he struggles tomorrow.

Reactions: SarniaStingFan

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Hopefully he shuts us all up with a great performance tomorrow
As I said I am a little encouraged that technically he's looked much better this weekend than pre-wjc. Hasn't been in poor position for the goals.

Just been his rebound control which is usually pretty strong. Hopefully was just a one off like the rest of the team & they come out firing Tomorrow, especially line 1 who needs to have their best game of the weekend.

Last edited:

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Ottawa with a lot of firepower out of the line up. Sting absolutely need to capitalize. Must win imo.

Ottawa with a lot of firepower out of the line up. Sting absolutely need to capitalize. Must win imo.

Looks like the scratches are:

Smyth - Mono
Mews - Suspension
Boucher - Injury
Morrison - Injury
Pinelli - Sick
Rohrer - Injury

So, looks like 6 guys out based on the lineup posted on the OHL Site.

Horner inserted last minute

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

That doesn’t include the guys playing while sick. Will be an interesting 3rd period. I have a feeling the boys will be just hanging on.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
That doesn’t include the guys playing while sick. Will be an interesting 3rd period. I have a feeling the boys will be just hanging on.
We feel you. Mono/flu bug went through our room back in November i believe it was.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
We feel you. Mono/flu bug went through our room back in November i believe it was.

Same with Ottawa. This looks like their 2nd round which is odd.

I will say that none of the guys dressed seemed to lack any juice So far. Maybe it is just a small pod of players? We’ll see more in the 3rd.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
This league is so f@cking soft
And Burke gets highsticked RIGHT in front of the ref at the end of the period and no call. Looks like we’re playing against the zebras today too. It’s so hard to watch this league these days when these grown ass adult referees try and make the game about them. Embarrassing.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Ahh I see only we can do wrong today. Miss multiple hooks, trips then call softies on us.

Gaudreau & PK unit come up huge. Both were excellent.

Don't mind how we looked when we were in OTTs zone but obviously need more of it. Like to think we're due for a couple PPs.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Ahh I see only we can do wrong today. Miss multiple hooks, trips then call softies on us.

Gaudreau & PK unit come up huge. Both were excellent.

Ottawa has 67 goals sitting out. WE slipped the boys in stripes an envelop before the game and if we win, there will be a stripper in the officials room for after the game! Pulling out all the stops!

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Ottawa has 67 goals sitting out. WE slipped the boys in stripes an envelop before the game and if we win, there will be a stripper in the officials room for after the game! Pulling out all the stops!
Lmaoo. Definitely think u missed some of those guys on that 5on3 haha. No chemistry it looked like.

Hopefully the refs let them play instead of calling 15 penalties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad