Sarnia Sting 2022-23 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
The Sting were terrible at 5v5 this weekend. Outscored 9-2. Special teams really saved these games from being blowouts. 4/9 on the PP and 10/10 on the PK on the weekend. This weekend gave me zero confidence in this team
I don't know. They were clearly the better team in PBO. 5on5 & on special teams. KGN they were terrible no doubt & today as I said before im not sure they allowed more than 15 shots 5on5. Can say they needed to generate more 5on5, especially vs KGN & OTT, but I certainly wouldn't say they were terrible 5on5.

I imagine the analytics (I know, I know lol) would say we controlled play, generated more chances than we gave up on the weekend & I'd imagine by a fair amount. So that's good, but we definitely need to get more Grade A looks 5on5 going forward.

Do gotta give some props to PBO & OTT for that. OTT especially is the OHLs best team for a reason. They lacked some Fs, but still are one helluva stingy team with a great goalie. They rarely turned it over or allowed freebies.

I leave the weekend sort of encouraged but sort of not in our bottom-6. I'm not sure they were on for more than a goal or two the entire weekend. It was the Voit line who got hammered for GA. So you love that for the B6. Not often did either Line 3 or 4 get hemmed in for lengthy shifts or anything like that which is good, but on the negative side, it just felt like Vilmanis did not mesh whatsoever with Filak & Wainwright. Never felt like they were on the same page. Practice will help, but you wonder if it's just guys who play way differently.

I honestly would like to try:
Vilmanis-Lantz-Voit
Pastujov-DBB-Burke

to give Sandis an elite passer & that line some size, but Sikic is playing far & away his best hockey that I'm not sure id wanna put him down to L3 & potentially ruin that. See if they put it to the blender this week, or if they give them a full week together & see how it looks then.

Reactions: deeferg

cupcrazyman2

Jul 13, 2022
4/6 points would have been nice.
Do you think resting Gaudreau vs Kingston would have made a difference ?

deeferg

Oct 17, 2019
So I was lucky enough to be at this game, and boy what a tough loss. While the penalties were a huge problem, the fact they killed the two 5 on 3's (even if the second was shorter) was huge, and would have given them more momentum if the penalties just didn't keep rolling in.

I was a lot less happy to see the breakout struggle like hell the first period. Never seemed like we were able to get out of the zone. It killed us having no good opportunities early, felt like playing catchup in the second and third. They finally did get some stuff going and got some chances in the other end but had them squandered by spending the time with pretty passes and defencemen stick handling in too deep and being triple teamed in to a poor shot. They need to get more bodies in front, same way that the first Ottawa goal came from a great screened shot from the point.

Here's hoping the new players manage to figure it out together soon, feels like they're still struggling to get on the same page with each other out there but that might just be dependant on time.

Fun checking in for my annual Ottawa/Sarnia game! One of these years it might even be to report a win.

deeferg

Oct 17, 2019
it just felt like Vilmanis did not mesh whatsoever with Filak & Wainwright. Never felt like they were on the same page. Practice will help, but you wonder if it's just guys who play way differently.

Vilmanis-Lantz-Voit
Pastujov-DBB-Burke

to give Sandis an elite passer & that line some size, but Sikic is playing far & away his best hockey that I'm not sure id wanna put him down to L3 & potentially ruin that. See if they put it to the blender this week, or if they give them a full week together & see how it looks then.
Before I leave for my yearly post hiatus, I wanted to speak to the fact I thought Vilmanis was great out there just by being present, a player that I feel will be making the NHL some day. To your point I think a better line set up would do him wonders. Wainwright didn't really impress me either tonight.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
In other Sarnia hockey news... The Legionnaires have lost 19 (!!!!!) Games in a row.... Remember when they used to consistently be a contender? Yeesh.

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
I don't know. They were clearly the better team in PBO. 5on5 & on special teams. KGN they were terrible no doubt & today as I said before im not sure they allowed more than 15 shots 5on5. Can say they needed to generate more 5on5, especially vs KGN & OTT, but I certainly wouldn't say they were terrible 5on5.

I imagine the analytics (I know, I know lol) would say we controlled play, generated more chances than we gave up on the weekend & I'd imagine by a fair amount. So that's good, but we definitely need to get more Grade A looks 5on5 going forward.

Do gotta give some props to PBO & OTT for that. OTT especially is the OHLs best team for a reason. They lacked some Fs, but still are one helluva stingy team with a great goalie. They rarely turned it over or allowed freebies.

I leave the weekend sort of encouraged but sort of not in our bottom-6. I'm not sure they were on for more than a goal or two the entire weekend. It was the Voit line who got hammered for GA. So you love that for the B6. Not often did either Line 3 or 4 get hemmed in for lengthy shifts or anything like that which is good, but on the negative side, it just felt like Vilmanis did not mesh whatsoever with Filak & Wainwright. Never felt like they were on the same page. Practice will help, but you wonder if it's just guys who play way differently.

Vilmanis-Lantz-Voit
Pastujov-DBB-Burke

Doesn't matter if you're controlling the play if you're not getting any high danger chances. Felt like the Sting got no chances off the rush (which was one of the reasons why Voit was so quiet). The entire weekend their offensive gameplan seemed to be throw the puck at the net from the outside and whack away at rebounds and that doesn't work well. (See their 2 goals at 5v5 this weekend). I'm going to try to be patient since it's only three games but this weekend didn't inspire much confidence in me.

Reactions: Ferda11
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad