Sarnia Sting 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

InSuL1nImP

Feb 11, 2017
I have a feeling we can be 3rd or 4th in the West this year. Our goalie situation is going to be the big question going into the season though.

InSuL1nImP

Feb 11, 2017
Conference

Owen Sound
SOO
Windsor
Sarnia

Windsor and Sarnia can be easily flipped for 3/4 spot

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
My favourite Belleville Bulls goalie, Cory Campbell, is the new Sting Goaltending Coach.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Would there be anyone interested in doing a gathering at some point either this season or next season. I've tried to do a mainstream post thread with little feedback would there be anyone interested in trying to reboot from Sarnia that would be interested in some sort of HF board gathering.

Any input from Sting fans would go along way to hopefully getting something started I realize that other posters have tried with little success on HFB in the past.

InSuL1nImP

Feb 11, 2017
Would there be anyone interested in doing a gathering at some point either this season or next season. I've tried to do a mainstream post thread with little feedback would there be anyone interested in trying to reboot from Sarnia that would be interested in some sort of HF board gathering.

Any input from Sting fans would go along way to hopefully getting something started I realize that other posters have tried with little success on HFB in the past.

What are you exactly asking for?

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
What are you exactly asking for?

I'm asking any posters from the Sarnia Sting HFBorads if they're would be any kind of interest in trying to get a new type of posters gathering either this year or in the future I realize that this idea has been brought up in the past with little feedback towards trying to start another gathering at some point in the future I've tried to get posters interested in different teams markets to doing something similar to that last year with a thread without any real response beyond one or two posters, I realize that some posters will like this idea and some won't the only thing I'm wondering is that maybe it's time to retry to get some type of posters gathering going in the near future before HFBoards turns into another form of Electic Ice forum where the majority of the posters have seemed to either not post as often or not at all anymore

bobbygore

Jun 27, 2011
Conference

Owen Sound
SOO
Windsor
Sarnia

Windsor and Sarnia can be easily flipped for 3/4 spot

Really ? What about London ?

Sting defence is pretty suspect and this season is when having traded away their top 99 picks for Konecny and not having Weiss show up starts to really hurt .

Hate to be a wet blanket but IMO I think it will be the usual for the Sting .
Somewhere between 6th and 8th in the Conference and another early playoff exit. It's like the Groundhog Day movie in Sarnia with this team.

Last edited:

InSuL1nImP

Feb 11, 2017
Really ? What about London ?

Sting defence is pretty suspect and this season is when having traded away their top 99 picks for Konecny and not having Weiss show up starts to really hurt .

Hate to be a wet blanket but IMO I think it will be the usual for the Sting .
Somewhere between 6th and 8th in the Conference and another early playoff exit. It's like the Groundhog Day movie in Sarnia with this team.

London's D and goalie situations are unclear and have to potential to be disastrous. It was very unlucky to not have Konecny last season. However we have drafted accordingly and planned around that and not having Weiss.

Would you like to elaborate on your last paragraph on what you see the West standings as?

bobbygore

Jun 27, 2011
London's D and goalie situations are unclear and have to potential to be disastrous. It was very unlucky to not have Konecny last season. However we have drafted accordingly and planned around that and not having Weiss.

Would you like to elaborate on your last paragraph on what you see the West standings as?

Interesting comment about the Knights because you could say the exact same thing about the Sting if Fazio isnt back. The situation here also has the potential to be disastrous given how Hughes has performed so far and with all the question marks on defence.
I'd much rather have Kooy as my go to goalie than either Hughes or Coffin. Underestimating London is never a good idea. There is a reason why they are the elite organization in the CHL even in those years where the cupboard looks bare.

Making predictions in the CHL is a mug's game because so much of it depends on who comes back but what the hell -
1. Soo
2. Owen Sound
3. Windsor
4. London
5.Guelph
6. Kitchener
7. Sarnia
8. Flint
9. Erie
10. Saginaw

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland

It's an old cliche but London doesn't rebuild,they reload.They always have a wave of players that fill out their roster & will once again be very good.The only question is where will their ranking in the CHL Top 10 week 1 ?

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
Yes, they seem to find a way every year to "$reload$" but this year I don't think they have the puck stopper that can win a few games by himself when the team plays a stinker in front of him.

bobbygore

Jun 27, 2011
It's an old cliche but London doesn't rebuild,they reload.They always have a wave of players that fill out their roster & will once again be very good.The only question is where will their ranking in the CHL Top 10 week 1 ?

The one constant ( other than his brief tenure in Washington ) is Dale. Plain and simply he's the best coach in junior hockey. The guy really knows hoe to develop and get the very best out of his players. He is second to none in that regard.
It's now been a couple of years since Mark has left for the Leafs so his previous selections are starting to move thru the London system. ( although he will always be lurking in the background ). Now more than ever you will see how instrumental Dale is in that organization.

massey

Sep 5, 2012
The one constant ( other than his brief tenure in Washington ) is Dale. Plain and simply he's the best coach in junior hockey. The guy really knows hoe to develop and get the very best out of his players. He is second to none in that regard.
It's now been a couple of years since Mark has left for the Leafs so his previous selections are starting to move thru the London system. ( although he will always be lurking in the background ). Now more than ever you will see how instrumental Dale is in that organization.

Good post. Mark is still very involved with the Knights organization. He is non stop travelling to hockey rinks around the world. His wife runs the office and both are involved.

Sting will be 6-8th place team. Defense will be the biggest gap unless they bring in an O/A to help and even then will depend a lot on Fazio, Hope Fazio remains injury free.

dansk55

Jul 30, 2010
and brock perry saint john sea dogs.
For now you mean? i am sure he will make his way back...
Personally i thought Stos brought a choppiness to the game that would be useful... of course, i am an armchair QB
And what about Latta and Hughes? Those are two pieces that could be lost quite easily but i think they are both on the cusp of something... not sure what edge.
I would have thought Sarnia would deal the kid from Chicago... chippy and vengeful.. better as a forward than D.
Do we have any trade bait?

lyle13

Jan 15, 2015
bowmanville,ont
For now you mean? i am sure he will make his way back...
Personally i thought Stos brought a choppiness to the game that would be useful... of course, i am an armchair QB
And what about Latta and Hughes? Those are two pieces that could be lost quite easily but i think they are both on the cusp of something... not sure what edge.
I would have thought Sarnia would deal the kid from Chicago... chippy and vengeful.. better as a forward than D.
Do we have any trade bait?

we have 4 OA maybe they would consider trading fazio to contender for picks and younger player maybe .:help:

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Fazio stays put imo. This Sarnia team can go both ways. We have a strong group of vet forwards returning. Between Kyrou, Ruzicka, Salintri, Rymsha, McGregor and Lajeunesse plus the addition of the big swede Leufvenius the Sting have two very solid lines. A third solid line isn't out of the question if we get consistent production from guys like McGregor and Lajeunesse. I expect Josling will put up 20 goals this year and Hinz could as well if he gets a shot to play more.

Don't see any room for Latta on this team. Not sure how people said he was supposed to be better then his brother Nick....not even close.

Hughes....I just don't see it. I'd like to see Coffin backing up Fazio.

Defense will be the big concern. I'd think about keeping Schlicting around if Lajeunesse doesn't produce in the first few months. I think Connor would have been twice the defensemen he is now if it wasn't for all the injuries.

My prediction for the west,

Owen Sound
London
SSM
Sarnia
Kitchener
Windsor
Guelph
Erie
Saginaw
Flint

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Latta

Apparently his been invited to Spits camp. As we already have a pair of Russians in town I'm guessing Latta must have Cdn citizenship or it wouldn't make sense.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Apparently his been invited to Spits camp. As we already have a pair of Russians in town I'm guessing Latta must have Cdn citizenship or it wouldn't make sense.

Yes, he has dual citizenship. Germany/Canada

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
So is it safe to say that Tyler Weiss isn't coming to Sarnia again this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad