Sarnia Sting 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
No, he hasn’t played the last 5-7 games ;)

I know I saw him on the ice tonight. Unless you meant he didn't show up and played like crap, which I would agree with.

Calvas on the other hand has made some huge strides since I last saw him play live. It's a shame he got caught in a numbers game in the Soo because he is a solid top 4 guy on a winning team.

Reactions: Ferda11

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
No, he hasn’t played the last 5-7 games ;)

You know, I've been following this thread occaisonally for a bit and reading your and jwalk's little disagreement over the current state of the Sting. I think it's a bit rare to find posters on here who don't look through rose colored glasses at their home team. I think you're just being honest and realistic and for the most part, likely correct. Yeah, Kyrou has a lot of points and the Sting's record is great but shouldn't the point be PLAYOFF success in Sarnia this year? With no pieces added and no change from current play, I see them getting bounced in the first or second round. That would be a disappointment considering how close they are. Hatcher gets them skating again and adds 2-3 pieces, they're a major threat to be skating during the MC. THAT, I think is possible. Getting Kyrou to buy in, be less selfish, skate hard every shift and play a 200ft game? Ehhn... I don't find it likely. He has 0g 7a and is -4 in his last 8 by the way. If everybody else gets going, Kyrou can just be Kyrou (a one-dimensional offensive Dynamo) and they'll be fine. It is frustrating to see so much talent not fully utilized though.

Reactions: Ferda11

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
You know, I've been following this thread occaisonally for a bit and reading your and jwalk's little disagreement over the current state of the Sting. I think it's a bit rare to find posters on here who don't look through rose colored glasses at their home team. I think you're just being honest and realistic and for the most part, likely correct. Yeah, Kyrou has a lot of points and the Sting's record is great but shouldn't the point be PLAYOFF success in Sarnia this year? With no pieces added and no change from current play, I see them getting bounced in the first or second round. That would be a disappointment considering how close they are. Hatcher gets them skating again and adds 2-3 pieces, they're a major threat to be skating during the MC. THAT, I think is possible. Getting Kyrou to buy in, be less selfish, skate hard every shift and play a 200ft game? Ehhn... I don't find it likely. He has 0g 7a and is -4 in his last 8 by the way. If everybody else gets going, Kyrou can just be Kyrou (a one-dimensional offensive Dynamo) and they'll be fine. It is frustrating to see so much talent not fully utilized though.

Based on what? To me (outside looking in) it's pretty clear that Sarnia is the 2nd best team in the league at this point in time. So why does that mean gone in round 1 or 2 to you?

I assume you'll say not great play lately and yeah, this is junior hockey. When you're dealing with amateur athletes, you get less consistent games. But I don't see how anyone could argue that SSM isn't #1 and Sarnia isn't #2 in the OHL right now

massey

Sep 5, 2012
Congrats to SSM.They are a better team than the Sting for sure and the team to beat in the OHL.

Sting were out coached last night.The Soo knew to take advantage on our PP that we would get caught and the Soo leads the league in short handed goal.Hatcher and staff should have had the Sting prepared for that.To allow not 1 but 2 SH goals,falls on Coaching.

What does Sinclair do now.We are obviously 2 top 3 Dmen and maybe another goal getter from going for it but our draft cupboard isnt full enough to chase it.Adding just one player would be a waste of assets.Does he stay put and risk being 1st round and out again come playoff.We struggle with teams that we should beat.Other options,put Kyrou on the market and see what we can fetch.Since he is the best player the Sting ever had (LOL),he should bring in a King's feast of picks. Loosing him would still make us a 1st round and out team and yet some assests in the bank.
Another option is to put our O/A on the block and see what they bring. If he is only going to get a 4th rounder, then keep them. Yes that does include Fazio. He would have to fetch a great sum before you even consider trading him. What would change if we did that. The team depends heavily on Fazio every freakin game. If he gets injured we are screwed anyways.

Personnally I think that if this team gets playing the game they did in the first month and a half,EVERY PLAYER, they could put on a very respectable playoff showing without adding. Every forward was playing the full 200ft both ways. Not what they are doing now. Its the little things they need to get back doing away from the play and in the play. They need to change it up and quit being so predictable such as trying to get out of our own end. Up alongs the boards we try. Soft passes, Oh lets pass it off instead of shooting when we are standing in front of net to name a few.

Reactions: The Howler

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
maybe a motivational weekend of watching from the team suite is in order- perhaps the rest of the team could give a bit more effort knowing he isn't playing

The 3rd and 4th lines have certainly stepped up. Unfortunately it’s not enough.

Reactions: Schlerk

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Based on what? To me (outside looking in) it's pretty clear that Sarnia is the 2nd best team in the league at this point in time. So why does that mean gone in round 1 or 2 to you?

I assume you'll say not great play lately and yeah, this is junior hockey. When you're dealing with amateur athletes, you get less consistent games. But I don't see how anyone could argue that SSM isn't #1 and Sarnia isn't #2 in the OHL right now

Key words “outside looking in”.

You would have to have been around this team for a while and physically watch the team play to get a sense of what the majority of us are talking about. We know because we’ve seen this so many times before. We’ve seen this trend of poor play many times and a lot of it is the same issues. I hard for anyone looking in on the outside to get it, especially when all most see is the fact that the Sting are 2nd in league standings.

Reactions: Stingland and OSA

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
maybe a motivational weekend of watching from the team suite is in order- perhaps the rest of the team could give a bit more effort knowing he isn't playing
Would not be surprised if he does not make the cut at the WJ tryouts - they look for a fully commited 200ft player, not sure that is him but he may dial it up for this tryout but can't see it, that would be a big setback for him - not sure how he would handle that.
As for Sarnia going out in the first or second round - Sarnia finishes 2nd, London finishes 7th, all bets are off.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
HAve you watched kyrou in international hockey ? The kid is meant to play it, played good at the under 17, was lights out at under 18s, and from what I hear he was canadas best player at the summer showcase tournament, and he's been slow lately but he's still producing just not on the tear he was on, that kid will be on the #1 pp unit for Canada, and I think a high end coach and being surrounded by top end players and playing for his country will raise is compete level a lot

4 Bobby ORR

Nov 26, 2008
South Detroit
Would not be surprised if he does not make the cut at the WJ tryouts - they look for a fully commited 200ft player, not sure that is him but he may dial it up for this tryout but can't see it, that would be a big setback for him - not sure how he would handle that.
As for Sarnia going out in the first or second round - Sarnia finishes 2nd, London finishes 7th, all bets are off.
More like Sarnia 3rd and London 6th.

Reactions: ohloutsider

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
And I think sarnia should go get 2 defenceman, they don't need more or better forwards, they just need guys who can defend better and can rush or make better 1st passes out of their own end, and do a better job holding the blue line in the other to give their forwards more time to do their thing which is be unreal offensively!

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
HAve you watched kyrou in international hockey ? The kid is meant to play it, played good at the under 17, was lights out at under 18s, and from what I hear he was canadas best player at the summer showcase tournament, and he's been slow lately but he's still producing just not on the tear he was on, that kid will be on the #1 pp unit for Canada, and I think a high end coach and being surrounded by top end players and playing for his country will raise is compete level a lot
Yes I have watched him - it is all I watch ( junior hockey, I'm a little sad that way) and I don't disagree that he may be a "changed man" when he suits up for the red & white but this is the toughest team to crack in junior and you don't get a shift off and sometimes guys that cherry pick struggle a bit with that. There is a player in Kitchener that did not get an invite and for the very reason that I could see Kyrou might also have an issue with. I hope he does make the team - we need his scoring but I don't get to pick the final team so we will see.

massey

Sep 5, 2012
And I think sarnia should go get 2 defenceman, they don't need more or better forwards, they just need guys who can defend better and can rush or make better 1st passes out of their own end, and do a better job holding the blue line in the other to give their forwards more time to do their thing which is be unreal offensively!

And what do you use to go get these players.Trade a shirt and bag of pucks.Our draft cupboard is not overflowing and they would be after one of our young Dmen in exchange and I don't mean Hatcher either.Travis drained the draft cupboard in that trade.Whats your thoughts on who and what do u trade to get them.

massey

Sep 5, 2012

I Agree ohloutsider.I hope he makes it but will have to play like he did the first part of season to make it.It would be a huge setback as he was upset last year of not getting invited.

BrunoDaBear

Jan 27, 2017
Yes I have watched him - it is all I watch ( junior hockey, I'm a little sad that way) and I don't disagree that he may be a "changed man" when he suits up for the red & white but this is the toughest team to crack in junior and you don't get a shift off and sometimes guys that cherry pick struggle a bit with that. There is a player in Kitchener that did not get an invite and for the very reason that I could see Kyrou might also have an issue with. I hope he does make the team - we need his scoring but I don't get to pick the final team so we will see.
Max Domi made the team a few years ago and he was no 200' player in the O

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
What Kyrou needs is a call from Doug Armstrong

The Blues have a big time need for RH shots in the top 9 so he could have an inside track on an NHL roster spot next year. But they won’t give it to someone that is not committed to both sides of the pick.

Last edited:
Reactions: massey

Schlerk

Aug 31, 2013
Sarnia
Well Stings need a serious regroup this weekend and need to win both here at home. Convincingly too. None of this eke out a one goal victory after being out-shot crap. And I know the D gets criticized but I wanna see forwards come back and fricken help them out a bit; no more floating about or missed assignments, which is sheer laziness. Get the %$%# puck out. Get it in deep and fore-check relentlessly. This team is so much better when it fore-checks. Hem them in there. And shoot. I wanna see these guys shoot. From everywhere. Crash the net and run over their D for rebounds. Oh ya and did I say shoot? Some of these guys got great shots, and I wanna see them being fired at the net from everywhere. That's what I am going to the rink for and hope to be seeing this weekend. Go Stings.

honey bee

Sep 29, 2011
Would like to see them play the way they did the first 10 minutes of the Soo game. They looked like a team that meant business.

road warrior

May 25, 2014
I've only seen the Sting play once this year.

Looking at the stats something that really puzzles me is the Sting centres are dominating most teams in FOW column (even when they loose the game), but the team usually get's badly outshot (even when they win the game)?

I'd expect winning face off''s should lead to more possession time & more shots on net?

I don't see any possession time stats - are the Sting maintaining possession?
Or are they turning the puck over a lot and waisting the FOW's?

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017

Looking at the stats something that really puzzles me is the Sting centres are dominating most teams in FOW column (even when they loose the game), but the team usually get's badly outshot (even when they win the game)?

I'd expect winning face off''s should lead to more possession time & more shots on net?

First part of the season they were hanging on to the puck , getting really good scoring chances and sniping like crazy. Lately taking more shots but missing the net more. Great way to keep the shots down when you miss the net!! They rarely shoot from the point, except 20. No big booming shots back there anyway.
In 13 of the sting wins, the goalie was one of the 3 stars (including the much-maligned Hughes twice!). That’s pretty much how they’re going to have to win.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
And what do you use to go get these players.Trade a shirt and bag of pucks.Our draft cupboard is not overflowing and they would be after one of our young Dmen in exchange and I don't mean Hatcher either.Travis drained the draft cupboard in that trade.Whats your thoughts on who and what do u trade to get them.
Idk salinitri, grima, coffin,other prospects you could throw into the mix ,Hamilton robbed flint in the trade they made

Rooster

Jan 28, 2016

The centers do a great job of winning the faceoff, but a few of the defencemen turn it over shortly after creating the difference in shots on net.

bobbygore

Jun 27, 2011

bobbygore

Jun 27, 2011
I don't pretend to be an expert but when Bob Mackenzie has Kyrou as one of his locks for this scoring challenged team I think his odds of making it would be pretty high.
Don't get me wrong I realize that at times he can be a lazy and selfish player but he is also a super elite offensive talent.When he's at the top of his game he can be absolutely dominant. He's also the straw that stirs the drink as far as the Sting are concerned ( along with Fazio ).
When he came back from the Blues camp the team won 15 in a row and he put up over 2 points a game. Once Kyrou's point production started tailing the team started it's losing skid.
I'm very surprised to see some of the fans jump all over this kid.To only focus in on his defensive weakness and totally ignore his huge offensive contributions is totally unfair and is a bit of a joke to me.
Correct me if I'm wrong but if Kyrou makes Team Canada he would only be third Sting player ever ( Stamkos and Letowski being the other two) since 1994.
After this weekend Kyrou will be gone til the first week of January. If the team continues to skid I wonder who will the new scapegoat be then. The coach's son appears to be an easy target or any of the other defence perhaps ? : /
If the KHL blows off the Olympics then the people who are jumping all over this kid may have to find a scapegoat til the end of Feb and may have seen the last of Kyrou til right before the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad