Sarnia Sting 2015-16 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwalk

Mar 25, 2006
AJAX
Sting are going to need significantly better goaltending if they are going to do anything in the playoffs. The Greyhounds had 4 goals on 14 shots. At least 2 were beach balls. Not to totally point the finger at Graham but this has to improve quickly or the Sting will be out in the first round again for the umpteenth time. Sting fans deserve much better than that after all these years of disappointment. Don't know what the sitution is with Fazio but they could use him badly right now.

Zacha also has to stop taking 2 to 3 stupid penalties per game. He's a huge liability when he does this. When is Hatcher ever going to do something about this ? Seems like it doesn't matter how much he hurts the team with his stupidity he never seems to miss a shift. As a matter of fact he seems to get more icetime after these boneheaded moves.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Couldn't agree more jwalk.

It amazes me that Zacha can get away with taking stupid penalties time after time with no repercussions. His 2 assist don't mean ***** when he is the reason for at least 2 SSM goals. Hatcher needs to address this already and actually do something about it.

Apparently Graham had a concussion so who knows if he is even 100% and by the looks of it tonight he wasn't even close.

Sting need to regroup fast and pull off a win on Sunday or else it will be another 1st round exit yet again.

dansk55

Jul 30, 2010
Couldn't agree more jwalk.

It amazes me that Zacha can get away with taking stupid penalties time after time with no repercussions. His 2 assist don't mean ***** when he is the reason for at least 2 SSM goals. Hatcher needs to address this already and actually do something about it.

Apparently Graham had a concussion so who knows if he is even 100% and by the looks of it tonight he wasn't even close.

Sting need to regroup fast and pull off a win on Sunday or else it will be another 1st round exit yet again.

i am not sure Zacha was the reason we lost. We did not score an even strength goal. Graham was less than average in goal. Chychrun coughed up the puck on his infamous rushes that translated into two goals. Sit him out. He takes puck in deep and loses it 96% of time. King got beat twice...so quit blaming it on one person. he takes dumb penalties sure but what about Lindberg. Two men short... Soo scores. it will be a long series if the OAs get their act together. So why not sit them out?

massey

Sep 5, 2012
Almost the whole team is to blame for the lost.Most were Pylons on the ice.Standing around while waiting for others to get the puck.Yes Charlie wasnt sharp but u give the Soo enough 3 on 2 ,3 on 1,4 on 2 and they are going to burn you.How many times did 2 players get caught behind Soo net when Soo was breaking out.Why dont the forwards backcheck. Dumb penalities although it was the worst reffing duo in the OHL. Kyrou should never have got a penality. He was a one man no show all night so he might as well been in the box.Lots of one man shows.They play like this and they are gone in 4 games.Congrats to Soo in their hard work.They are fast team.Those kids worked there butts off and deserved the win.

StungbySting

Jun 10, 2011
Sarnia
The Sting need to stop taking stupid penalties. I understand that Hatcher doesn't want to bench his top players during the playoffs, but he missed the opportunity to send a message to them in game one. Zacha should have been sat and I'm sure the rest of the team would have taken notice that stupid penalties won't be tolerated. Goaltending wasn't as big an issue as some people think. Sure Graham let in a couple questionable goals, but the team in front of him didn't show up in the 2nd and 3rd periods. I though Boris Katchouk was the best player on the ice tonight. Need a big win in game 2.

stingfan1989

Jan 8, 2016
Someone already mentioned this but the little tussle with Bushnell & Lindberg at practice... I'm sure making one guy a healthy scratch (Bushnell) but playing the other guy involved (Lindberg) didn't sit well with some guys in that room. Bushnell is a favorite in that dressing room, if your going to sit one for his actions you better sit the other.

And yes I know from a friend that Noah was ready to go for game 1 but was sat because of what happened at practice.

I got a kick out of some of the "casual" if you will Sting fans last night, after the fourth Soo goal... yelling Graham you suck... no Idiots you suck as this was probably your first game this year.

stingfan1989

Jan 8, 2016
Either way, HUGE game on Sunday better get it together and get that W or it could be lights out fast to a #7 seed.

Need Graham to be better and the forwards to help out the defensemen, also no boneheaded penalties... once Zacha stops moving his feet and plays lazy that's when he starts clutching and grabbing.

Need this W! Go Sting Go!

honey bee

Sep 29, 2011
The team last night was sure not the team we have been seeing for the last month. Is there an upset in chemistry? Brock Perry in and Bushnell out?? And why the heck has Studnicka not been playing on one of the top two lines?? They are absolutely wasting his talent. When he first came to town, he and Konecny and Zacha were awesome together. The Czech line. Hopefully they get their act together for Sunday.

bobbygore

Jun 27, 2011
There were many issues last night, not just goaltending that led to the loss but an .800 save percentage ain't gonna cut it at any level of hockey. Plain and simply that has to a lot better or it will be a very short playoff run. If Graham is shaky again at the start of the next game then Hatcher has a very tough decision to make - you don't want to panic but if the Sting go down 2 games at home then they are in serious trouble - I think you'd have to give Hughes a shot if Graham doesn't start well on Sunday.

Hopefully, none of this will be an issue on Sunday and the team will deliver a huge effort. They usually have come back with good games after not playing well all this season.

It was disappointing to see the team not really generate a scoring chance in the third period when they needed to play desperately. They are going to need to play with a lot more determination if they are going to win this series. Kudos to the Soo for a very good road game.

dansk55

Jul 30, 2010
There were many issues last night, not just goaltending that led to the loss but an .800 save percentage ain't gonna cut it at any level of hockey. Plain and simply that has to a lot better or it will be a very short playoff run. If Graham is shaky again at the start of the next game then Hatcher has a very tough decision to make - you don't want to panic but if the Sting go down 2 games at home then they are in serious trouble - I think you'd have to give Hughes a shot if Graham doesn't start well on Sunday.

Hopefully, none of this will be an issue on Sunday and the team will deliver a huge effort. They usually have come back with good games after not playing well all this season.

It was disappointing to see the team not really generate a scoring chance in the third period when they needed to play desperately. They are going to need to play with a lot more determination if they are going to win this series. Kudos to the Soo for a very good road game.
BG, not sure what goaltending world you are in but you don't throw to the wolves or in this case the Hounds. Hughes had a tough enough time stopping the puck in his three games...only offensive outburst garnered wins. With Fazio out, it is Graham's to win or to lose.
And whoever said Bushnell is a key locker room element, i don't believe that is the case or he would not be out.

stingfan1989

Jan 8, 2016
BG, not sure what goaltending world you are in but you don't throw to the wolves or in this case the Hounds. Hughes had a tough enough time stopping the puck in his three games...only offensive outburst garnered wins. With Fazio out, it is Graham's to win or to lose.
And whoever said Bushnell is a key locker room element, i don't believe that is the case or he would not be out.

Trust me I know for a fact the guy is liked by most in that room, both he and Lindberg were to blame for the dust up at practice. Truth is you can't play sides when something like this takes place... sit them both or don't sit them at all.

Brock Perry might be a good piece moving forward (next few years) but he's just not ready for that jump just yet.

Also Patrick White skated with the red practice jersey again today, he'll be out on sunday... it would be a blessing to get that guy back! Busts his a$$ every shift every night.

bobbygore

Jun 27, 2011
dansk55;115923359[B said:
]BG, not sure what goaltending world you are in[/B] but you don't throw to the wolves or in this case the Hounds. Hughes had a tough enough time stopping the puck in his three games...only offensive outburst garnered wins. With Fazio out, it is Graham's to win or to lose.

I'm in goaltending world where an .800 save percentage gets your ass nailed to the bench. It was a team loss, and there were definitely other factors but 3 out of the 6 goals should not have gone in. Period. Graham knew it too . You don't need to be a rocket scientist to read his body language after some of those softies.

You are cognizant of the fact that this is a best of 7 series ? This cannot continue or the season is over. If he starts the game the same way he played Friday then I would absolutely would go to Hughes.

Don't get me wrong - I like Graham - think he is a good goalie but last night wasn't his best work . These things happen. The problem is the team doesn't have the luxury of time for him to figure things out. He needs to be better immediately and he knows it.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I'm in goaltending world where an .800 save percentage gets your ass nailed to the bench. It was a team loss, and there were definitely other factors but 3 out of the 6 goals should not have gone in. Period. Graham knew it too . You don't need to be a rocket scientist to read his body language after some of those softies.

You are cognizant of the fact that this is a best of 7 series ? This cannot continue or the season is over. If he starts the game the same way he played Friday then I would absolutely would go to Hughes.

Don't get me wrong - I like Graham - think he is a good goalie but last night wasn't his best work . These things happen. The problem is the team doesn't have the luxury of time for him to figure things out. He needs to be better immediately and he knows it.

Sometimes you have to look at team defense when a good goalie lets in a few stinkers. Defense is huge. The Soo has some skilled play off experienced players. It won't be easy to beat them.

BobbyStokers9713

Mar 23, 2016
Sarnia will be fine. Too much talent to fall in the first round. Wouldn't be surprised one bit to see them win the next 4 games.

Schlerk

Aug 31, 2013
Sarnia
Probably the worst game I've seen the Sting play in some time. Not pointing fingers at individuals, but collectively they stunk the joint up. Soo guy standing in front of the net all alone singing the Stones song 'I'm just waiting for the puck' while Sting guys are running around all over the place. I don't know what it was. First game jitters in front of full house? Lindberg/Bushnell dust-up or not, who sits, who plays - you can't let that sort of stuff affect your game plan. D has to play much better - as it has for most of the season. This game to me was an anomaly. Get back to the usual solid play in the back zone. Limit the penalties, especially the stupid ones. Studnicka on 4th line had me scratching my head, unless he's still hurting. Graham had a bad game ya but lets not forget he's had many more great ones this season than bad. ***** happens. This is a good damn hockey team. I expect a full rebound Sunday and now that opening night is behind them they'll get back to serious business and play the kind of hockey that we all know they can play; dynamic. Good luck Sting. Let 'em have it tomorrow.

Last edited:

stingfan1989

Jan 8, 2016
Probably the worst game I've seen the Sting play in some time. Not pointing fingers at individuals, but collectively they stunk the joint up. Soo guy standing in front of the net all alone singing the Stones song 'I'm just waiting for the puck' while Sting guys are running around all over the place. I don't know what it was. First game jitters in front of full house? Lindberg/Bushnell dust-up or not, who sits, who plays - you can't let that sort of stuff affect your game plan. D has to play much better - as it has for most of the season. This game to me was an anomaly. Get back to the usual solid play in the back zone. Limit the penalties, especially the stupid ones. Studnicka on 4th line had me scratching my head, unless he's still hurting. Graham had a bad game ya but lets not forget he's had many more great ones this season than bad. ***** happens. This is a good damn hockey team. I expect a full rebound Sunday and now that opening night is behind them they'll get back to serious business and play the kind of hockey that we all know they can play; dynamic. Good luck Sting. Let 'em have it tomorrow.

Excellent post I agree wholeheartedly.

EasternOntario Fan

Mar 21, 2012
Someone already mentioned this but the little tussle with Bushnell & Lindberg at practice... I'm sure making one guy a healthy scratch (Bushnell) but playing the other guy involved (Lindberg) didn't sit well with some guys in that room. Bushnell is a favorite in that dressing room, if your going to sit one for his actions you better sit the other.

And yes I know from a friend that Noah was ready to go for game 1 but was sat because of what happened at practice.

I got a kick out of some of the "casual" if you will Sting fans last night, after the fourth Soo goal... yelling Graham you suck... no Idiots you suck as this was probably your first game this year.

Best of luck to the Sting today. In regards to the incident you speak of, I am SURE there is more to the story and unfortunately it is bad timing it happened when it did.

stormfanone

Nov 30, 2013
Toronto Born in Gue.
Sting are going to need significantly better goaltending if they are going to do anything in the playoffs. The Greyhounds had 4 goals on 14 shots. At least 2 were beach balls. Not to totally point the finger at Graham but this has to improve quickly or the Sting will be out in the first round again for the umpteenth time. Sting fans deserve much better than that after all these years of disappointment. Don't know what the sitution is with Fazio but they could use him badly right now.

Zacha also has to stop taking 2 to 3 stupid penalties per game. He's a huge liability when he does this. When is Hatcher ever going to do something about this ? Seems like it doesn't matter how much he hurts the team with his stupidity he never seems to miss a shift. As a matter of fact he seems to get more icetime after these boneheaded moves.
This is the playoffs not the regular season. Ps. what fans, only 2900 for a playoff game. For a first place team.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
So what the hell is going on here? down 2-0...being out played in both games by a large margin. Has this whole Bushnell thing affected the dressing room to the point of poor on ice performance? or is it just the curse of the Sarnia Sting not being able to do well in the playoffs?

I saw one line show up last night...10-9-25...they were fantastic and were the only reason why we had started to mount somewhat of a come back in the third. That 10-15 minute span in the 3rd was brilliant but someone tell the Sting the game is 60 minutes. Sting have played a good 20 minutes of hockey in the last 2 games combined.....pathetic.

I thought Fazio should have started yesterday..he looked primed and ready to go in warm ups and was moving around very nicely....not saying it was Grahams fault at all because he played great and made some big saves but his D didn't help at all. Chychrun has been complete garbage, our OA's have been invisible and even TK hasn't been himself. Zacha I thought was a little better last night..he just need to keep his feet moving and win battles to the puck or else that's when you see him start taking stupid penalties. Korostelev has been a ghost.....bottom line is our 2 top lines have been less effective then our 3rd and 4th lines. Can't win games when that's the case.

I don't know what the solution is but after game 1 and 2 I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that I have little hope left for the Sting to come back from this deficit. The organization is really gonna be hurting next year if we go out in the 1st round again.

massey

Sep 5, 2012
So what the hell is going on here? down 2-0...being out played in both games by a large margin. Has this whole Bushnell thing affected the dressing room to the point of poor on ice performance? or is it just the curse of the Sarnia Sting not being able to do well in the playoffs?

I saw one line show up last night...10-9-25...they were fantastic and were the only reason why we had started to mount somewhat of a come back in the third. That 10-15 minute span in the 3rd was brilliant but someone tell the Sting the game is 60 minutes. Sting have played a good 20 minutes of hockey in the last 2 games combined.....pathetic.

I thought Fazio should have started yesterday..he looked primed and ready to go in warm ups and was moving around very nicely....not saying it was Grahams fault at all because he played great and made some big saves but his D didn't help at all. Chychrun has been complete garbage, our OA's have been invisible and even TK hasn't been himself. Zacha I thought was a little better last night..he just need to keep his feet moving and win battles to the puck or else that's when you see him start taking stupid penalties. Korostelev has been a ghost.....bottom line is our 2 top lines have been less effective then our 3rd and 4th lines. Can't win games when that's the case.

I don't know what the solution is but after game 1 and 2 I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that I have little hope left for the Sting to come back from this deficit. The organization is really gonna be hurting next year if we go out in the 1st round again.

Whats Going on??.Well the Soo is playing awesome and hustling and outworking the Sting and solid goaltending.The only reason they ended up 7th was because Halverson had a slow start to the season.Plus they did there homework.What,4 or 5 goals through the 5 hole on Charlie.Weak spot. Sarnia looks like the keystone cops getting the puck out of their own end.So predictable.Shoot puck around boards to the winger who just tries to chip it out BUT the Soo stands their Dman along the boards.Team forgot what got them there.#25 still one man show although he did get things going in the 3rd.Chychrun???WTF.Dman or forward???.Sit him???.Many ghosts out there.Once Zacha quits moving his feet he is in trouble. Soo skating around to get themselves in an open position.They dont have to worry about a sting player picking them up if they are moving.Right now we are being outcoached in my opinion.If Fazio is healthy then he should have been in the game quicker. McGregor has played well I thought and yet he sits.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Whats Going on??.Well the Soo is playing awesome and hustling and outworking the Sting and solid goaltending.The only reason they ended up 7th was because Halverson had a slow start to the season.Plus they did there homework.What,4 or 5 goals through the 5 hole on Charlie.Weak spot. Sarnia looks like the keystone cops getting the puck out of their own end.So predictable.Shoot puck around boards to the winger who just tries to chip it out BUT the Soo stands their Dman along the boards.Team forgot what got them there.#25 still one man show although he did get things going in the 3rd.Chychrun???WTF.Dman or forward???.Sit him???.Many ghosts out there.Once Zacha quits moving his feet he is in trouble. Soo skating around to get themselves in an open position.They dont have to worry about a sting player picking them up if they are moving.Right now we are being outcoached in my opinion.If Fazio is healthy then he should have been in the game quicker. McGregor has played well I thought and yet he sits.

The Hounds seem to play their best hockey on the road and their record since January has been quite impressive.
It's a speedy, skilled group. Series is far from over.

jwalk

Mar 25, 2006
AJAX
The Soo have definitely been the better team by far in the first 2 games.The team that continually wins the battles for the puck and executes its defensive system properly is very likely going to win the Series.

The Sting need to fix their defensive woes quickly or the hole will become too deep.Way too many breakdowns and missed assignments. Hatcher should put the kibosh on both Chychrun and King rushing the puck into the offensive zone as these rushes have directly led to outmanned situations that have led to goals in both games.

I thought Graham played well yesterday and was hung out to dry by the Soo players that were left wide open. Don't know what Spinozzi was thinking on the Soo's second goal when he gave Katchouk a clear path to the net. That was brutal. as a matter of fact on the first four goals the Soo scored somebody was left wide open. These games are now so critical that Hatcher should consider shortening his bench down to 4 defenceman.

The other major issue is that the Soo's best players have been their best players in the Series. Can't say the same thing about the Sting. I wonder if there is something wrong with Konecny as he's been virtually invisible these first 2 games. Ditto for Mistele and Studnicka . Were they even dressed yesterday ? Chychrun also needs to play a lot smarter or he should be riding the pines.

There have been some positives like the play of Salinitri and Lajeunesse who have played hard but if the team is going to come back in this Series the leadership group needs to stand up now. It goes without saying that if they lose the next game the Series is over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad