Seravalli: San Jose to buy out Martin Jones, Canucks Jake Virtanen

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
I confess I have a rudimentary understanding of buyouts in the NHL. So there are specific reasons why it's more beneficial to the team to buyout Virtanen's contract than, say, Beagle's or Eriksson's?
Buyout is 1/3 of remaining contract value for players under 26, and 2/3 for older guys. It is also harder to buy out guys with larger signing bonuses.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Buyout is 1/3 of remaining contract value for players under 26, and 2/3 for older guys. It is also harder to buy out guys with larger signing bonuses.
Thanks. That makes sense. I thought it was as simple as pick the guy with the worst contract and buy him out. I've been begging the Canucks to buy out Eriksson for that reason!

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
Thanks. That makes sense. I thought it was as simple as pick the guy with the worst contract and buy him out. I've been begging the Canucks to buy out Eriksson for that reason!
The buyout would be $4m against the cap, then you factor in a roster replacement, the savings aren't that great when you're paying a player to go away

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
You got your teeth kicked in by the Canadiens for f***s sakes. They were hardly even able to win a game in the final round, yet they outclassed Vegas badly.
And? I'll take the frustration of that series and making 3 conference finals in four years over 2 years in the league's bottom 5 with no real end in sight every time.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
And? I'll take the frustration of that series and making 3 conference finals in four years over 2 years in the league's bottom 5 with no real end in sight every time.
Was that before or after you were an Anaheim fan?? How’s the weather in Vegas? Fair??

Just take the loss and stop making yourself look worse than usual.

Reactions: ThreatLevelMidnight

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Was that before or after you were an Anaheim fan??

Just take the loss and stop making yourself look worse than usual.
Ah yes. Ctl+v "Game 7 major penaltly reference" and now we here in the Sharks fandom are victorious over this Vegas fan who dared to make a joke about a former Shark player.

I really don't care about "looking bad" or having it declared to me that I've taken an L in a chirp exchange that started over a joke I made about Jones' performance in rivalry match ups. I'm not here to win anything.

And yes, as I still frustratingly support Anaheim, it's still amusing to me to see San Jose and LA in the dumps with them. A rival fan taking pleasure in a rival team's struggles, what a novel travesty that is, huh?

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I would actually sign Jones to a minor league deal as a veteran backup for San Diego and see if our genius goalie coaches fix Jones.

chauron

Jan 5, 2014
I still remember the JWC and how Jake Virtanen was destined to ”certainly become something great” before that tournament. What a flop.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
ITT:

Vegas fans come in to take potshots at a goalie who's career is probably over

Sharks fans point out that it was actually the Vegas goalie that choked last time the two teams met in the playoffs

Vegas fans get butt hurt and change the conversion to, "yeah, well actually your team is bad now"

If you don't want nasty responses then don't start the shit talk in the first place

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
So does San Jose draft at 7 Cossa or Walstadt?

Highly unlikely when they just acquired Adin Hill and are talking about bringing in a veteran. It would be pretty wasteful of a high pick to draft a goalie that probably takes quite a few years to get there. They need more young skaters to become legitimate core players. They probably won't get one here but if any of Eklund, Guenther, Clarke, or whoever to become a secondary core player, it'd be a win for them. Sharks ought to aim for the top pick in 2022 because they need legitimately elite talent.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Jones isn't an upgrade over anyone. Stay far away

Yes, but I think there's decent odds that a team will pick up Jones on league minimum next season. Particularly if it comes with a 2-way clause.

I just want Las Vegas to pickup Jones to replace Fleury and be their starter. PDB is probably still in love with him. If LV was subjected to the expansion draft, I'd bet that PDB would make a deal with Seattle for DeMelo.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
^don’t start talking when you can’t handle the responses.

You wanted to bad mouth Jones, so I reminded you of a time he didn’t pull a Fleury.

If that hurts your feeling, oh well.
Lol my feelings aren't hurt? You bring up a time our team failed, I respond with a time your team failed. Not really seeing the disconnect here.

I can handle the responses just fine.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
ITT:

Vegas fans come in to take potshots at a goalie who's career is probably over

Sharks fans point out that it was actually the Vegas goalie that choked last time the two teams met in the playoffs

Vegas fans get butt hurt and change the conversion to, "yeah, well actually your team is bad now"

If you don't want nasty responses then don't start the shit talk in the first place

Oof didn't realize everyone is allowed to make jokes on this site except for Vegas fans. Make all the nasty responses you want, I really don't mind. That's how chirping works. I threw the first chirp, Sharks fans chirped back. I just don't see why you're so aghast that I've responded to them. This is how a fan rivalry goes. It's not a novel concept.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Oof didn't realize everyone is allowed to make jokes on this site except for Vegas fans. Make all the nasty responses you want, I really don't mind. That's how chirping works. I threw the first chirp, Sharks fans chirped back. I just don't see why you're so aghast that I've responded to them. This is how a fan rivalry goes. It's not a novel concept.

"Actually, I'm not even mad, it's you that can't take a joke"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad