Seravalli: San Jose to buy out Martin Jones, Canucks Jake Virtanen

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
Ehh Jones used to be good, but he's been the worst regular NHL starter for the past 3 seasons. Shoulda, coulda, woulda, yes, but we did have some good runs, including to the finals. Thanks Martin! Enjoy Europe, or, more realistically, enjoy bouncing back on some team I hate while making league minimum and winning a cup.

Reactions: ThorNton Apologist

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Not as much as you think. San Jose didn't get any further than we did in their cup run and now they're a bottom feeder while we're at least still making it to semifinals.
And when we’re good again in 5-6 years, you’ll be a bottom feeder or at least on your way there. Tis the circle of life in a salary cap league.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Not as much as you think. San Jose didn't get any further than we did in their cup run and now they're a bottom feeder while we're at least still making it to semifinals.
You got your teeth kicked in by the Canadiens for f***s sakes. They were hardly even able to win a game in the final round, yet they outclassed Vegas badly.

Bizzare

May 5, 2013
It’s sad ya know the last positive I saw if Jake was him defending his teamates. Ryan Hartman was making dangerous hits in our players one after another l, went after beagle, Sutter, eliass pettersson, tried to concuss him, nailed Sutter from behind. Jake virtanen put him in his place and the dangers hits siezed. St.Louis avoided similar tactic not wanting to wake up Jake and he was also a decent Deterrent against Ryan Reeves who was going after motte rouselle but avoided Jake since they are literally the same size and he can sure as hell fight Reeves. Anyways best of luck to jake.
This post is sarcasm right?

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Think this is a pretty big wake up call for Virtanen, and most likely for the best. Wouldn’t be surprised if Virtanen gets his act together with the next team.

Jones is done though, maybe he’ll get a job as a backup at league minimum.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Virtanen is my exhibit A when arguing against drafting hometown talent.

1) all the distractions; all their friends and family are here. total focus out the window

2) use the home town thing to attract UFAS. serves zero purpose cept for a headline and it usually get away from BPA

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Yep, Kassian was always a harder worker and well liked. He had his troubles, but seems to have fixed them. I don't know if Virtanen is capable of understanding the damage he's done to his career. He is just a dumb person

it was rumoured that of all people rookie quinn hughes had to ream him for going to a bar (and getting photographed maskless and indoors) during the leadup to last year’s return to play

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Virtanen had the dishonour to show up out of shape to camp not just once but twice in the same season.

jonu

Dec 11, 2014
Moon
I remember when Bruins fans were angry that they traded away Jones and not Rask..

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
Court of public opinion is popular. We don't even know if he's guilty of the charges. But ya know, social justice reigns supreme.

I agree with you on innocent until proven guilty . . Virtanen’s issues here extend far beyond the sex assault accusation though

Reactions: NuxFan09

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
Yeah I can see that.

I just don't see why we'd buy out $2.55M Virtanen when there are other better options to buy out. It's nonsensical.

I think he’s a prime candidate due to his history, his terrible season and the fact that the buyout affects our cap minimally compared to some of the other options

His current PR nightmare is just icing on a really shitty cake

Reactions: NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
I think he’s a prime candidate due to his history, his terrible season and the fact that the buyout affects our cap minimally compared to some of the other options

His current PR nightmare is just icing on a really shitty cake
I confess I have a rudimentary understanding of buyouts in the NHL. So there are specific reasons why it's more beneficial to the team to buyout Virtanen's contract than, say, Beagle's or Eriksson's?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad