Samuel Morin's progress

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
yup and to add to this, I would bet that Hextall has had private conversations with both kids on where they stand in the organization and the future they have with this team. Conversations that likely any of us are not going to be privy to
That makes me feel worse based on the stupid, overly-honest, shit he's saying about prospects to the media. :laugh:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The case of Jaime Oleksiak is instructive, although I sure hope Morin doesn't end up being traded to the Pens. AFAIK Oleksiak didn't ever submit a trade request.

Jamie Oleksiak Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

2011 - Drafted 14th overall by Dallas (December birthday)
2011-12 - 59 OHL games
2012-13 - 16 NHL games, 59 AHL games
2013-14 - 7 NHL games, 69 AHL games
2014-15 - 36 NHL games, 35 AHL games
2015-16 - 19 NHL games, 8 AHL games (carried on Stars roster all season but barely played as he was no longer waiver exempt; the AHL games came on a conditioning stint)
NHL waiver rules trap young players in press box
Oleksiak looking for NHL opportunity after successful AHL conditioning stint
2016-17 - 41 NHL games
2017-18 - 21 NHL games then traded to Pittsburgh for a 4th

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The case of Jaime Oleksiak is instructive, although I sure hope Morin doesn't end up being traded to the Pens. AFAIK Oleksiak didn't ever submit a trade request.
Oleksiak looking for NHL opportunity after successful AHL conditioning stint

This is similar to what I saw in Morin's brief stay:

With limited playing time in the NHL, Oleksiak said he often felt like he had to make an impression when he was on the ice. That mindset led to some fan-friendly moments – big hits and three fights – but would also take him out of defensive position at inopportune times.
“In the NHL I know I have the tendency to run around and look for hits,” Oleksiak said. “There is various reasons why that happens. Sometimes the team needs a boost or there is a lull. And me being a bigger guy, sometimes that means laying the body and using that to my advantage. But, at the same time, you really have to read the situation and read the game to pick your spots.”

And it may well be what Hextall told Morin when he went back to the AHL, work on proper positioning, play within yourself, don't play to the fans.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
I, nor the OP, mentioned nothing about a trade (I mean really what could he be worth that would motivate the Flyers to move him?). "Relationship between Samuel and the Flyers is not trending in the right direction" was the quote. I don't see what is so unbelievable about that claim. It doesn't mean he requested a trade or he is going to pout or be combative. But I'm sure if you asked Sam off the record about his feelings, they wouldn't be complimentary about how he has been handled.
Funny how those doubting the info are the ones adding stuff to it. Plus i had to translate actual words so « not trending in the right direction » was not a direct quote. Thought i made that clear but who in that line has any advantage in boosting a story?

Injury not severe and ready to go soon + something is not going smooth with the organization.

No stretch there whatsoever.

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
There is only 3 defensmen on the Flyers roster who you can confidently say deserve to be playing over Morin.

Edit: I stand corrected.

Last edited:

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
Funny how those doubting the info are the ones adding stuff to it. Plus i had to translate actual words so « not trending in the right direction » was not a direct quote. Thought i made that clear but who in that line has any advantage in boosting a story?

Injury not severe and ready to go soon + something is not going smooth with the organization.

No stretch there whatsoever.
Its not so much that I dont believe that what you told us is what your nephew told you, but that the original message from Sam to his dad could have been muddied along the way.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Its not so much that I dont believe that what you told us is what your nephew told you, but that the original message from Sam to his dad could have been muddied along the way.
Yes this i understand. Nothing was direct info for sure. I read before that story about a mystery injury plus the cancelled call-up. I think the family stuff « confirms »it although i again chose a word i dont like 100%.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
There is only 3 defensmen on the Flyers roster who you can confidently say deserve to be playing over Morin, and with Gudas' play since coming back from his suspension its getting hard to justify him.

Gudas was a selfish idiot to earn that suspension, but has been very good since he came back, and isn't getting nearly enough minutes.

NHL.com - Stats

As well as his superb possession numbers, he has taken zero penalties in those 13 games.

NHL.com - Stats

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
There is only 3 defensmen on the Flyers roster who you can confidently say deserve to be playing over Morin, and with Gudas' play since coming back from his suspension its getting hard to justify him.

I can’t confidently say Morin should play over any of them.

Sure, I like the thought in theory. But they’re hitting crunch time in a tight playoff race. Not exactly the best time to try out / break in an untested rookie.

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
I can’t confidently say Morin should play over any of them.

Sure, I like the thought in theory. But they’re hitting crunch time in a tight playoff race. Not exactly the best time to try out / break in an untested rookie.
Its not the time to let established players flounder when they are in over their heads either, but that won't stop them. Ghost was an untested rookie and helped carry us to the playoffs.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Its not the time to let established players flounder when they are in over their heads either, but that won't stop them. Ghost was an untested rookie and helped carry us to the playoffs.

Ghost & Morin are in different stratospheres, & Ghost came up in November when the Flyers were struggling mightily. I think the situations are quite different.

Part of what it boils down to is I don’t think MacDonald, Hägg, & Manning are playing nearly as poorly as popular board opinion. And I’m a longtime MacDonald basher. Ideally, I’d like to see Morin over Manning, but I can’t argue with Manning at the moment. I’m not sure throwing an untested, mistake-prone rookie into the blue line is the best idea right now.

Reactions: JXC

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
If I were Samuel Morin and I had to stomach the thought of Robert ****ing Hagg earning a roster spot over me, despite NEVER NOT ONCE being a better player in any way shape or form, I would be disenchanted with the organization as well.

Last season with the Phantoms:
Hägg had 15 pts in 58 games
Morin had 16 pts in 74 games
Hägg was +10 to lead the Phantoms’ D.
Morin was 0.

That’s a way, shape, or form.

I think we should change Robert Hagg’s name to Robert Hate.

Reactions: JXC

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Only 16 games so far this year, and a fraction of those fully healthy. He barely plays.
The only thing he learned so far this season is how to cope with injuries.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Last season with the Phantoms:
Hägg had 15 pts in 58 games
Morin had 16 pts in 74 games
Hägg was +10 to lead the Phantoms’ D.
Morin was 0.

That’s a way, shape, or form.

I think we should change Robert Hagg’s name to Robert Hate.

:facepalm:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Only 16 games so far this year, and a fraction of those fully healthy. He barely plays.
The only thing he learned so far this season is how to cope with injuries.

Sadder still..if he made the team out of camp like he deserved does he even have 1 of the injuries?

It reminds me of when Ghost was sent down after a 3 game trial and then blew out his knee a week later.

Reactions: Tripod

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Sadder still..if he made the team out of camp like he deserved does he even have 1 of the injuries?

It reminds me of when Ghost was sent down after a 3 game trial and then blew out his knee a week later.

The Hockey Gods have a strange sense of humor at times.
And just for the record, I never would have thought that Ghost could recover the way he did and stay healthy like he did after his injury. Knocking on wood.

Reactions: Rebels57

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad