Samuel Morin's progress

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
Hi all, I"m a Montrealer looking for some inside info on Sam Morin. I've been following him as a prospect and was hoping that he'd finally crack the Philly line up this season but obviously the glut of young blueliners makes that tough... Anyways I can't seem to find any recent info on why he isn't playing. I know he was called up but couldn't play due to injury, was called up again and played 2 games, sent back down? But since then he hasn't played for the Flyers or Phantoms. If he's hurt again I haven't been able to find any news about it, so what's up?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Hi all, I"m a Montrealer looking for some inside info on Sam Morin. I've been following him as a prospect and was hoping that he'd finally crack the Philly line up this season but obviously the glut of young blueliners makes that tough... Anyways I can't seem to find any recent info on why he isn't playing. I know he was called up but couldn't play due to injury, was called up again and played 2 games, sent back down? But since then he hasn't played for the Flyers or Phantoms. If he's hurt again I haven't been able to find any news about it, so what's up?

He was one of their best 6 defensemen in camp and earned a roster spot. Unfortunately, our management is poor at talent evaluation and they gave his spot to Robert Hagg instead. His absence from the lineup has been controversial amongst fans and media.

He would have been called up twice for longer stints but each time he wasn't available due to injuries sustained in the AHL.

He is LHD only and the Flyers are deep there at the moment with Provorov, Ghost, and Sanheim. Ghost has played both LHD and RHD this season. If they can move him to RHD permanently that will be huge for Morin.

Reactions: bauer

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
He played with the Phantoms Tuesday night but didn’t play last night. It seems like it was a planned thing to not have him play back to back’s right away coming back from injury.

ybnvs

Mar 20, 2014
He was one of their best 6 defensemen in camp and earned a roster spot. Unfortunately, our management is poor at talent evaluation and they gave his spot to Robert Hagg instead.

He is LHD only and the Flyers are deep there at the moment with Provorov, Ghost, and Sanheim. Ghost has played both LHD and RHD this season. If they can move him to RHD permanently that will be huge for Morin.

Right now the Flyers cannot move Ghost to RHD permanently, which means management did not make a poor talent evaluation and "give" Morin's "spot" to Hagg. Hagg earned it, based off what position was available and who amongst the prospects should be promoted to the NHL.

You lambaste the management in the first sentence, then later contradict your first comment with sound reasoning at the end of the post.

The reason why Morin is not up is because of the logjam at LHD. Simple.

Ghost is not seasoned enough to be thrown over to the right side permanently.

Provorov, Ghost, Sanheim, and Morin play LD.

Are you so sure Ghost has it in him to be moved over to the right side permanently?

At this current time, to me, it appears Morin is potentially one to be traded. I wouldn't advocate such a move, especially if Ghost is capable of transitioning over to the right side and being equally if not more effective. However, that has yet to be determined.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Gostisbehere played on the right side the previous two years. He’s even played it at times just recently in this season.

Hagg plays the right side but he doesn’t exactly excel at it. In reality it’s probably another disservice done to him by this organization in their total blindness for him that makes his glaring flaws further standout more.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Right now the Flyers cannot move Ghost to RHD permanently, which means management did not make a poor talent evaluation and "give" Morin's "spot" to Hagg. Hagg earned it, based off what position was available and who amongst the prospects should be promoted to the NHL.

You lambaste the management in the first sentence, then later contradict your first comment with sound reasoning at the end of the post.

The reason why Morin is not up is because of the logjam at LHD. Simple.

Ghost is not seasoned enough to be thrown over to the right side permanently.

Provorov, Ghost, Sanheim, and Morin play LD.

Are you so sure Ghost has it in him to be moved over to the right side permanently?

At this current time, to me, it appears Morin is potentially one to be traded. I wouldn't advocate such a move, especially if Ghost is capable of transitioning over to the right side and being equally if not more effective. However, that has yet to be determined.

Umm..Ghost played RHD the entire 15-16 season (breaking multiple team and NHL records) and most of the 16-17 season.

I *think* he can handle it.

Morin should be in the lineup, over Hagg, playing LHD.

Hagg should be the 7D on this team until he proves he is better than MacDonald, which he hasn't yet.

The depth chart in terms of quality of player RIGHT NOW should be..

Provorov
Ghost
Gudas
Sanheim
MacDonald
Morin

Hagg
Alt
Manning

These are my opinions, but I stand by them vehemently.

Reactions: ybnvs

ybnvs

Mar 20, 2014
Umm..Ghost played RHD the entire 15-16 season (breaking multiple team and NHL records) and most of the 16-17 season.

I *think* he can handle it.

Morin should be in the lineup, over Hagg, playing LHD.

Hagg should be the 7D on this team until he proves he is better than MacDonald, which he hasn't yet.

The depth chart in terms of quality of player RIGHT NOW should be..

Provorov - Ghost
SanGhost
Gudas
Sanheim
MacDonald
Morin

Hagg
Alt
Manning

These are my opinions, but I stand by them vehemently.

Did he in 15-16? I must be going senile; that was even a time in my work-life when I was able to watch almost every game and remember the incredible records he made. My mistake. I retract much of my previous post. Thank you for correcting my awful brain and evaluation of the defense.

Reactions: Rebels57

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Did he in 15-16? I must be going senile; that was even a time in my work-life when I was able to watch almost every game and remember the incredible records he made. My mistake. I retract much of my previous post. Thank you for correcting my awful brain and evaluation of the defense.

Lol I make mistakes like this regularly so don't be too hard on yourself.

A few of the reasons I love Ghost on the right is because he is open for one-timers from both the LW (often Giroux) and the LHD (whoever that may be). He is also able to pull pucks off the wall on his backhand and pivot to his forehand for shots quicker than anyone on the team. Hagg has no one-timer and is slow as molasses at going from backhand to forehand when playing the right-point. Low-skill dmen should not be playing their offside IMO.

ybnvs

Mar 20, 2014
Lol I make mistakes like this regularly so don't be too hard on yourself.

I'm actually a closet Pens fan and know two guys on the Devils, so that's really why my analysis of the Flyers is so damn poor.

I really hate the holiday season...

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
I still stand by my original thought that it should of been Sanheim sending time in the AHL.

Sanheim should be playing 1A minutes with PP and PK time. He hasn’t been bad, he just doesn’t have his mojo. Gudas-Morin would provide the same thing as were getting with Sanheim. Plus we would be grooming Morin into something closer to his skills set (stay at home shut down guy, PKer, etc).

Reactions: hatcher

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
The reason Morin isn't up is, as Hextall said, he is scared of a young that is too young in his mind. That is it.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I still stand by my original thought that it should of been Sanheim sending time in the AHL.

Sanheim should be playing 1A minutes with PP and PK time. He hasn’t been bad, he just doesn’t have his mojo. Gudas-Morin would provide the same thing as were getting with Sanheim. Plus we would be grooming Morin into something closer to his skills set (stay at home shut down guy, PKer, etc).

It’s not his fault the Flyers are trying to turn him into Jay Bouwmeester.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hextall was ready to give Morin a shot, but the kid was injured, or he'd have had 10 games to show he belonged. He hasn't exactly dominated the AHL, so the Hagg/Morin argument is specious, neither would be a difference maker this year.

It's not going to hurt Morin to spend another month or two in the AHL, playing with Myers, who might be his partner down the road. Hextall is a good bet to move at least one defenseman by the trade deadline.

Last edited:

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Gudas-Morin would provide the same thing as were getting with Sanheim.
How do you know that? I won't go with the nerdy stats, but it's highly unlikely Morin would be doing what Sanheim is doing, especially with all of the time Gudas has missed. Hagg should be the comparable as that is who has the comparable skillset and who beat Morin out for a spot next to Ghost.

If your reasoning for Sanheim being in the AHL is PP and PK time you can blame management for that one. He could and should be playing special teams in some role. PP2 hasn't scored as a unit all year and we have one of the worst PK's in the league (and lost a ton of man games on top of it).

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Sanheim's a much better puck mover than Morin and filled more of a need on the roster.

Morin would have played 10 NHL games this season if he hadn't got hurt, so the timing of his first injuries as a pro have been unfortunate.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It was easily Sanheim > Morin > Hagg

I have no idea how anyone could have Hagg first, unless you literally don't look at your TV during games.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
It was easily Sanheim > Morin > Hagg

I have no idea how anyone could have Hagg first, unless you literally don't look at your TV during games.

I agree but I would also like to add that Morin was the more consistently good of the 3.

He was good from the rookie game to his last preseason game.

Sanheim had a rough start but he was lights out for 3-4 games in a row..then I remember his last game being meh.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Sanheim's a much better puck mover than Morin and filled more of a need on the roster.

Morin would have played 10 NHL games this season if he hadn't got hurt, so the timing of his first injuries as a pro have been unfortunate.
Yeah, Sanheim was just lucky he was the player we needed for that 3rd pair. Otherwise I think Morin would've made the team over him.
Ideally, you want a puck mover for every pair and without Sanheim there would only be Provorov and Ghost.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->