Post-Game Talk: Samsonov Is Back! | Leafs Win 1-0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I could see changes to NMC/NTC. Doubt they'll ever account for different tax rates.

I would take it as a big start. Imagine buying a car you cant sell. The NMC is a self harm option for GMs and teams and way for agents to hold hostile negotiations forcing GMs to make deals under essentially duress.

I've also never understood the complaints from fans, nobody is forcing GMs to agree to them.

Its a leverage tool and once one team offers them everyone wants them. The alternative is a player says give me nmc or I walk.

Its stupid

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Normally I say "never apologize for a goalie stealing a game" but we were so garbage it's hard to feel good about that game. Keefe said we were so off there was nothing he couldn't take from the game, which was bizarre because the question is why were we so brutal?

Our inability to get the puck out of zone is going to kill this team, they weren't even forechecking that hard. Lil looks like he's hit a wall development wise, his mindless breakout "passes" were a real issue last night.

The big guys were pure shit. Marner was invisible, Bill was curling away like the good ole days and SO lazy defensively and Matthews didn't want the the puck. Reilly was off too, just a really concerning mentality, reminded me of the first game against Florida, total NO SHOW.
It was all an on ice protest about Reaves return and the music in the room. Mitchy and AM wanted Beibs, Willie insisted on ABBA and Reaves played Gangsta. That explains it all.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
so losing twice in the Cup Finals is somehow better historically than 13 Cup wins? Alright man.
Modern history, yes. Embrace it, have fun with it.

Well there you go confusing Toronto and the Leafs, Toronto produces more NHL players than any city in the world. So in that regard Toronto is number 1. The Leafs on the other hand have been very poorly run but given that it's by far not the worst run.
That’s what I’m saying. I get why people are against the city, but the Leafs should be the lovable losers, like the Cubs.

Reactions: Confucius

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Well to be fair, they did have to ask if there was anything better than beating the Leafs.

Are you somehow disputing their captains own words? He said there is nothing better than beating the Leafs. Might as well take him at his word I’d say.

Yea, you guys are right. The Jets would rather beat the Leafs in a regular season game than win the SC.

All Canadian teams would. The Leafs are that important.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Yea, you guys are right. The Jets would rather beat the Leafs in a regular season game than win the SC.

Just quoting back what was said in their locker room, I’m not aware of any other team making that claim. There was that one broadcaster as well but he is gone now. Lol

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

It is literally a direct quote from him. Take it up with them I guess lmao not sure why this has you so pressed. It's a joke there big guy. We are making fun of them, they will be alright. Buzz Killington over here.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
If you had the scouting report on Sammy (maybe omitting the Seattle game) wouldn't you be shooting from everywhere as often as possible?
I understand that concept but no, not they way they were doing it...throw the puck on the net sure, but have bodies in front to tip etc....they werent even looking to pass even when a player was open....shoot shoot shoot....low percentage plays, mostly easy peasy for Sammy. Didnt find that part of their game very good and if this is the way they play then I dont see them doing any damage in the playoffs regardless of where they end up in the regular season.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Well done by Mattews. A small kindness for a guy who really needs it right now……..as was the standing ovation by the crowd

He's the next Captain no doubt.

I get that Canadians in general have a negative opinion about Toronto , but let’s be real, when it comes to hockey, the Leafs they are historically the worst franchise in the NHL.
I dont know about worse Buffalo, Phoenix, ..... might have something to say about that but the most dysfunctional I'd give you that.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I would hope they want to see more player movement involving star players whether by trades or free agency like in other sports. It's free P.R., assuming the NHL is into that sort of thing.
I don’t see how the two relate.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
You don't see how more trades and FA signings involving stars would get more media coverage compared the relatively limited star movement that currently exists? Seems pretty self-explanatory.
That has nothing to do with NTC and the need to outlaw them. They aren’t mandatory on a contract. They are given out by choice.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
I would hope they want to see more player movement involving star players whether by trades or free agency like in other sports. It's free P.R., assuming the NHL is into that sort of thing.
The NHL tends to be the opposite; they don't want players moving around. And I suspect it's because of how things were in the pre-draft era, as well as how things were from around 95 to 05, when the lockout occurred... That is, Bettman came to the realization that players weren't willing to throw most of their careers away playing in front of nobody in his Southern expansion experiments, so he needed to slow down player movement to keep players there. The only other league besides the NHL that has a hard cap like this is the NFL, and the NFL combines theirs with most contracts being no-guarantee contracts by default, meaning that if a player isn't earning what they're worth, the team can cut them without incurring a penalty. But most of the NHL's actions towards player movement have been designed to cut down on it as much as possible, and I still believe it's because of the pre-draft era where half the players in the NHL wanted to join the Leafs or the Canadiens, and the pre-cap era where teams were building themselves via free agency and poor teams were at a major disadvantage because of the money the rich teams could offer players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad