Post-Game Talk: Samsonov Is Back! | Leafs Win 1-0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Starting with the positives, namely Samsonov’s terrific play and Robertson standing out.

Pulling hard for both those players to get to where we need them. Those guys playing well make our team better.

I’m not getting too high on this win. We were the healthier team, the rested team, and the home team with last change.

We had no shows from our most important players and only won because our goalie out dueled their backup goalie.

Our power play was trash, on a rare night where we get more than our opponents.

Wins like that feel like a loss as they prevent meaningful changes from happening, starting with firing Keefe.

Samsonov won us that game, and I’m happy for him more than anyone.

We still need changes and we still need to be better, from the top down.

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
The 2 on 0 short handed chance by Winnipeg tells you all you need to know about this team.
0 0 tie mathews and marner not engaged in the game
Marmer should have spent the game hanging out with the mascot, since he seems so close to him. I hope the team shows some guts in the contract negotiation with him after next season. He's not worth anywhere near what he getting paid, let alone the raise he'll demand.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Winning in spite of Van Ryn and his questionable coaching has to be seen as a positive.

I expected an uproar here by some after they showed what Samsonovs father said to him about his mental struggles. It's possible I misheard.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
Scheifele and Vilardi are not comparable to Matthews and Marner. Kyle Connor looked strong enough, we've had our best guys play injured plenty. Brossoit also has like top 10 goaltending numbers this season. Their results are similar with him or Helly in net.

They were shorthanded but Scheifele is the only real setback here. Vilardi is talented but is still relatively unproven with a career high 41 points. They're still a very tough defensive team without those guys which is their specialty.

We grinded out a tough one against a good team. Still work to be done but it's OK to enjoy an ugly win now and then.
Morrissey is a key guy for sure, Vilardi is playing very well this season. But the Jets absolutely dominated 90% of that game. Glad for samsonov to get that.
I imagine the Leafs will play much better Saturday because despite the Jets playing much better than them, you won't win many games getting outplayed like that. Keefe wasn't happy

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Scheifele and Vilardi are not comparable to Matthews and Marner. Kyle Connor looked strong enough, we've had our best guys play injured plenty. Brossoit also has like top 10 goaltending numbers this season. Their results are similar with him or Helly in net.

They were shorthanded but Scheifele is the only real setback here. Vilardi is talented but is still relatively unproven with a career high 41 points. They're still a very tough defensive team without those guys which is their specialty.

We grinded out a tough one against a good team. Still work to be done but it's OK to enjoy an ugly win now and then.

I get it, and that’s fine. But it’s all about the playoffs. Sure, I’d take 16 wins like that in the playoffs any day, but it’s not likely. This core has never played with the necessary amount of intensity. Even playoff games we have seen Marner, Matthews, Wily all disengaged. This could easily have been a Winnipeg win. They should be livid they lost this one.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Matthews getting all this "leadership" praise for giving the belt back to Sammy is hilarious to me. Sure he scored, but he was absolute dog shit the entire game, how in the world could he take it from the guy who stole us the game without turning redder than the sun. What else was he going to do?

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Matthews getting all this "leadership" praise for giving the belt back to Sammy is hilarious to me. Sure he scored, but he was absolute dog shit the entire game, how in the world could he take it from the guy who stole us the game without turning redder than the sun. What else was he going to do?
Marner would have took it and sold it, greedy little........

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto

I've been saying this for ages. Crazy watching the Avs vs the Caps tonight. Looked like pond hockey with the effort both teams were giving while Mackinnon and co. had free rein to casually walk the puck into high danger ice. We simply don't see that kind of effort from opposing teams (save San Jose), and many opposing players look like they'd rather face a firing squad than let Matthews get a shot off from the slot. I don't doubt over the last few years that exact same roster (less so this year) playing with a different name on the front of the jersey would have contended for a presidents trophy and Matty and Mitch would have broken 100 a few times. Combine that with our relative lack of powerplay time for some mysterious reason and man. People wonder why our second and third liners go on to be far more productive elsewhere. It's a different game.

In any case, the guys need to be cut some slack. It hasn't been our year really but despite how it can look, they are battling every night with the pieces we have. Needing to give 100% every time against any team on any random Monday in January is grueling.

Would it make a difference in the playoffs? Maybe for matchup purposes. I'm not sure this team has ever been a true cup contender because of our style, but it certainly could have netted us a round or 2, and from there you roll the dice.

My opinion most regular season games look like that unless you are playing a team with no skill, or both teams are just going through the motions. That’s what I like about it.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
One of the uglier games. Why are we not able to exit our zone when there is no offensive pressure?

Sammy was amazing and made the game worth seeing

horner

May 22, 2007
Winning in spite of Van Ryn and his questionable coaching has to be seen as a positive.

I expected an uproar here by some after they showed what Samsonovs father said to him about his mental struggles. It's possible I misheard.
I dont think there was anything wrong with what he said.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Starting with the positives, namely Samsonov’s terrific play and Robertson standing out.

Pulling hard for both those players to get to where we need them. Those guys playing well make our team better.

I’m not getting too high on this win. We were the healthier team, the rested team, and the home team with last change.

We had no shows from our most important players and only won because our goalie out dueled their backup goalie.

Wins like that feel like a loss as they prevent meaningful changes from happening, starting with firing Keefe.

Normally I say "never apologize for a goalie stealing a game" but we were so garbage it's hard to feel good about that game. Keefe said we were so off there was nothing he couldn't take from the game, which was bizarre because the question is why were we so brutal?

Our inability to get the puck out of zone is going to kill this team, they weren't even forechecking that hard. Lil looks like he's hit a wall development wise, his mindless breakout "passes" were a real issue last night.

The big guys were pure shit. Marner was invisible, Bill was curling away like the good ole days and SO lazy defensively and Matthews didn't want the the puck. Reilly was off too, just a really concerning mentality, reminded me of the first game against Florida, total NO SHOW.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

What did he say? I thought I heard on the radio yesterday something to the effect of - bow up, you have a family to feed.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I dont think there was anything wrong with what he said.
Me either but I'm old school and brought up where 'suck it up' was the answer to many of lifes issues.

What did he say? I thought I heard on the radio yesterday something to the effect of - bow up, you have a family to feed.
Yep, pretty much 'suck it up' and get on with it.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009

There's absolutely nothing to be proud of this win except for goaltending

We had 5 pps, didn't do anything on those. Peg was missing their top players, including best center and best D

Our star players were anything but our star players.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Normally I say "never apologize for a goalie stealing a game" but we were so garbage it's hard to feel good about that game. Keefe said we were so off there was nothing he couldn't take from the game, which was bizarre because the question is why were we so brutal?

Our inability to get the puck out of zone is going to kill this team, they weren't even forechecking that hard. Lil looks like he's hit a wall development wise, his mindless breakout "passes" were a real issue last night.

The big guys were pure shit. Marner was invisible, Bill was curling away like the good ole days and SO lazy defensively and Matthews didn't want the the puck. Reilly was off too, just a really concerning mentality, reminded me of the first game against Florida, total NO SHOW.
Late January, Wednesday night in Toronto, against Winnipeg, after a road trip, the week before a break….It’s a hard game to get up for that.

Me either but I'm old school and brought up where 'suck it up' was the answer to many of lifes issues.

Yep, pretty much 'suck it up' and get on with it.
Life is a series of ups and downs.

Reactions: ACC1224

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Positives:
- Samsonov was brilliant
- Robertson looks like he's developing into the player we want
- Benoit + Mccabe
- Stepped up physically

Negatives:
- The whole offense
- PP