Player Discussion Sammy Blais

Status
Not open for further replies.

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
Well if you do not care about who plays center than you can flip Troscheck and Goodrow for Motte and JarnKrok. Do you know why Motte and JarnCrok make 1-2 mill a year? Because people do not see them as good centers. If the league saw them as good they could trip over at least a 3 mill deal. What does Motte play? 35-45 games a year? So its like paying him $3 mill a year since he only plays half the games. He is just as good as Goodrow though right? :D
Jarnkrok produces similarly to Goodrow and is 1.5M cheaper in cap hit. Buchnevich produces significantly more than Trocheck, and only makes slightly more in cap, and would have been singlehandedly filling this team's single biggest need this season. But by all means, let's continue to stress the importance to serious Cup contention, that Goodrow is slightly better than Jarnkrok.

Oh well, have fun watching the team not have enough scoring in the playoffs again this year because you are worried about the bottom 6 and continue to think we can win it all with a not quite good enough core. At least this year I know better than to get my expectations up.

But hey...maybe Sammy will score an NHL goal sometime this season! :laugh:

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Jarnkrok produces similarly to Goodrow and is 1.5M cheaper in cap hit. Buchnevich produces significantly more than Trocheck, and only makes slightly more in cap, and would have been singlehandedly filling this team's single biggest need this season. But by all means, let's continue to stress the importance to serious Cup contention, that Goodrow is slightly better than Jarnkrok.

Oh well, have fun watching the team not have enough scoring in the playoffs again this year because you are worried about the bottom 6 and continue to think we can win it all with a not quite good enough core. At least this year I know better than to get my expectations up.

But hey...maybe Sammy will score an NHL goal sometime this season! :laugh:
You keep speaking about RW and making center an afterthought. If you think a team with Zib, Chytil, Jarnkrok and Motte (40 games a sesson) at center is winning a playoff series nevermind a cup I have a bridge to sell you. Come playoff time you watch who takes all our important faceoffs. Motte will probably be on yet another team by then.

Wtp99

May 8, 2021
This is a reductionist argument that misses the entire point. Buch's cap hit last season and this season would have been 5.8 million dollars.

Last year, not signing Goodrow and Nemeth, and not trading for Reaves would have saved 7.75M. Chytil would have played a bigger role last year, while Buch would have stayed on the topline RW.

This year, no Goodrow saves 3.6M alone. With Chytil as the 2nd line center, there's no reason to sign Trocheck to what will definitely be a bad contract by the end of that deal, saving another 5.6M, while also not having the weakness we do at RW. Team can get a much more affordable 3C to replace the departing Strome and has space to do it, and also has a legit topline RW instead of a collection of misfit toys over parts of two seasons and Goodrow who is very good at what he does but whose 3.6M hit could be spent better elsewhere.

But apparently most take it for granted this team will hand out bad contracts to FA's, so this is not going to change. Meanwhile, it's going to be great watching Buchnevich score a point a game for the next decade, not...
I see your side of this
but to be fair, who knows if Buch would be the scorer he is today
and the signing of Goodrow was good because he was a key to the Lightning Winning their cups and certainly has been good for the Rangers. Nemeth on the other hand I have to agree was a poor choice ( things don’t always work out ) Reaves was a good trade because it gave this team its balls, they absolutely played not scared. Yes he should have dealt with Slewban, but he still made this team play bigger. Also let’s not forget, Chytil was ( is) inconsistent.
it’s a shame Blais isn’t working out

Last edited:

Priorae

Apr 21, 2017
New Jersey
We lost the trade on value. That’s the bottom line. But the team can still end up being better off for it.

Buch had no role here moving forward.

Blais brings things Buch did not, and offers reasonable skill at a very reasonable cost (that should remain that way for awhile).

Stop thinking about this trade in a vacuum and root for what we have. Look forward to what that second might be as well. Good draft coming up.
We need a RW that can score. I’m not sure I agree that Buch didn’t have a place here. But you’re right it’s long since over.

markymarc1215

Jan 8, 2023
Southwest Florida
Cap dump or not, the return was disgustingly underwhelming. It's not like we traded Buch away for semi equal value even if Blais was playing like the best 4th liner in the league. The return we received would be more appropriate if we traded Goodrow. This wasn't Matteau and Noonan for Amonte. This was Nick Kypreos and a late 2nd for Amonte.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
You keep speaking about RW and making center an afterthought. If you think a team with Zib, Chytil, Jarnkrok and Motte (40 games a sesson) at center is winning a playoff series nevermind a cup I have a bridge to sell you. Come playoff time you watch who takes all our important faceoffs. Motte will probably be on yet another team by then.
I don't see how our current lineup fairs any better. At the end of the day, we need a 1RW and 2C who can win draws. In both scenarios, we do not have both.

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
I find it hilarious people complaining about the prospect of Motte playing 40 games a season as a 4th line center are pumping Blais tires when he has never played, wait for it, more than 40 games a season.

But hey, at least if this team is hell bent on not eating the sunk cost, at least that's one career best mark Blais will set this year!

Reactions: OldBlueshirt

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I find it hilarious people complaining about the prospect of Motte playing 40 games a season as a 4th line center are pumping Blais tires when he has never played, wait for it, more than 40 games a season.

But hey, at least if this team is hell bent on not eating the sunk cost, at least that's one career best mark Blais will set this year!
Nice strawman argument when the truth is I have repeatedly said Blais was not a primary nor even a secondary reason for the trade.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Im not optimistic on Blais coming back and being anything more than a 4th liner, but thats kinda what we need right now. Ranks 5th on the team on screens leading to scoring chances (behind Kreider, Laf, Troch & Goodrow), in way less ice time. Rangers need more of that. If they Rangers can get a forechecking center who can pay with speed (Lafferty/Motte/etc.) he could be a cog on a decent 4th line with Cuylle.

Youre all welcome for the somewhat positive Sammy Blais post on Monday morning. Hockey is back!

Last edited:

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
I would take him for future considerations, at this point.

Potentially even add a 7th round pick to sweeten the deal.

Sammy Blais + 4th + 7th for Tyler Motte? Yes please.
Yeah. I respectfully disagree. Hahaha. If they put him on waivers he will not get through. Adding would be insane. Hahaha.

• Haha
Reactions: EdJovanovski

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
The problem here is Blais can't stay in Hartford if the team is going to dump him at the deadline. His contract is terrible and almost certainly needs to be moved. I don't see how they get more than maybe a 5th or so round pick. They will also need to take back a guy making around 1 mil just to make it work for most teams caps. It a brutal situation for the Rangers to be in. I can see a scenario in which he simply plays out hsi contract and they let him walk this summer.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I would take him for future considerations, at this point.

Potentially even add a 7th round pick to sweeten the deal.

Sammy Blais + 4th + 7th for Tyler Motte? Yes please.
Hard pass on Motte. Wouldn't want him for nothing. Most NHL teams pass in him as well.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
The first few pages of this thread are hilarious, EdJovanovski continues his flawless record. “More goals than Buch” LOL still hasn’t scored one goal as a Ranger! Less shots than Buch has goals lmao.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
The first few pages of this thread are hilarious, EdJovanovski continues his flawless record. “More goals than Buch” LOL still hasn’t scored one goal as a Ranger! Less shots than Buch has goals lmao.
Maybe Drury expected Kravtov to be a good top 6 player so he needed to make room?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad