Player Discussion Sammy Blais

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
I’m quite surprised. He is better than I thought. He still has a LONG way to go before I even call this trade somewhat even, let alone a win.

Also, I’m glad you made this because I was wondering, anyone find it kind of odd that he’s listed as 6’2”? I don’t think he looks even close to that.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I see Blais as a Graves-type move. A gritty player who doesn't lack skill. Will drop the gloves for a teammate, take the body and go to the dirty areas. Is he a future 50 goal scorer? Likely not, but there's definite offensive upside and I think he will be moved up and down the line up throughout the year.

He was acquired as much for the player he could still develop into as much as what he is right now.

Blais to Win

Dec 16, 2009
He's got much better offensive instincts than I thought. Looking at previous highlights you could see that he could occasionally score and had decent hands, but his talents seem way above what we were expecting. He's agile! He does remind a bit of Graves. But also Kovalev, which is weird.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
He's having a Brandon Pirri type pre season.. the anointing has begun
I mean, yeah.

I like Blais. I think he'll be a good player for the Rangers. But all these threads remind me of the victory lap so many took in Tanner Glass's first preseason here.

I guess a lot of HF folks are eating crow these days. Enjoy your meal :laugh:

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
It feels like some folks here are rooting for him to fail, or underestimating him, because they did not like Buch being traded.

Blais has some skill, as shown by the recent preseason goals. and his good AHL stats at ages 20/21.
And he earned a spot, albeit bottom 6, on some Blues teams w very deep F corps and decent pipeline.

No one is projecting he becomes a 30-goal scorer,
But, turning 25 since last season, and with ~120 NHL games experience,
it will not be unprecedented for him to 'take that next step'
and become a reliable, depth-scoring middle-six wing.
If he'd gone the college route, at same age, he'd have less experience and maybe be granted more 'benefit of the doubt.'

I think there is a good chance he will be a useful and productive middle/bottom six mainstay during these seasons as the kids merge into the lineup.

He and Hunt may develop into Matteau/Noonan type guys for NYR

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
He's having a Brandon Pirri type pre season.. the anointing has begun

I think the difference is, everyone always knew Brandon Pirri could shoot. His game is lacking otherwise. He made the show on his shot. Blais is doing the opposite. He’s made the show as a grinder and is showing that he has other tools as well. He was going to be a 4th line energy guy whether he brought these kinds of hands and offensive instincts or not. Pirri was either a guy who was going to score or an AHL all star. No in between. Blais is teasing that he can do more than be a 4th line energy guy, but at least that part of his game is established.

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
He and Hunt may develop into Matteau/Noonan type guys for NYR
Imagine?

The future that is being bet on is that players like Kakko/Laf/Krav/Chytil will turn into something. That left Buch out, we all know this. We didn't win with Buch when he was here, but if Blais turns into a bottom six value, that SHOULD be a massive bonus if the above 4 kids work out. If the kids don't work out keeping Buch around would have done squat anyway.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I think you can see why the Rangers valued him highly enough to take this deal from St Louis, but yeah I think knowing he's had an injury history and perhaps consistency in flashing that skill is knowing the risk they took

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Darren Pang said he had issues committing to fitness in St L so maybe the trade and it being a contract year he's finally all in on his career.

Maybe, but they didn't exactly trade for a fitness freak either lol.

Buch has spent as much time in the gym this year as I have today, and thats only because I'm leaving for my workout in 5 minutes.

Reactions: ArPanet

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
We lost the trade on value. That’s the bottom line. But the team can still end up being better off for it.

Buch had no role here moving forward.

Blais brings things Buch did not, and offers reasonable skill at a very reasonable cost (that should remain that way for awhile).

Stop thinking about this trade in a vacuum and root for what we have. Look forward to what that second might be as well. Good draft coming up.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I think you can see why the Rangers valued him highly enough to take this deal from St Louis, but yeah I think knowing he's had an injury history and perhaps consistency in flashing that skill is knowing the risk they took
Yup. Blais has to be able to stay healthy. If he can do that and play like he did in St. Louis or like how he played against the devils, I don’t expect Gallant will keep him on 4th line. I’d bet he moves up in the line up somewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad