Confirmed with Link: Sami Vatanen signs with Devils 1yr 2m

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Kulikov has to rate ahead of Butcher on a depth chart. Methinks anyway.

You don't healthy scratch defensemen making $3.5 million a year unless you have no doubt better options.

I don’t think he was.

I think this is yet another symptom of this board underrating Butcher. Kulikov is next to nothing.

Kulikov-Carrick is a nice fourth pairing assuming everyone else stays and Ty Smith makes the team. They'll probably rotate guys in and out with the schedule anyway, especially if we fall out of it early again.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I don’t think he was.

I think this is yet another symptom of this board underrating Butcher. Kulikov is next to nothing.

Kulikov may be terrible, but having watched Butcher in person I'd suggest that he's not underrated. He is just not suited to playing defense in any sort of space and is too small and lacks reach to make up for it. That's my eyeball test. NJ needs Butcher on a second pair and unless he's improved somehow I don't think he's quite good enough. At this point, on a third pair, he's just Lovejoy taking protected minutes from younger players on a developing team that need them to learn the NHL game.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Kulikov may be terrible, but having watched Butcher in person I'd suggest that he's not underrated. He is just not suited to playing defense in any sort of space and is too small and lacks reach to make up for it. That's my eyeball test. NJ needs Butcher on a second pair and unless he's improved somehow I don't think he's quite good enough. At this point, on a third pair, he's just Lovejoy taking protected minutes from younger players on a developing team that need them to learn the NHL game.
I don’t think he’s underrated. I just don’t think he’s bad, like many of this board does. That’s why I feel he’s underrated.

A lot of people here would have you believing he’s no better than Connor Carrick.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
I think Kulikov will be playing simply because he's capable of playing the PK. Give him limited 5on5 time as a 3rd pair and throw in a big chunk of time on the PK.

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
Kulikov is 100 percent higher on depth chart than Butcher right now.

this is how I see it

Murray - Severson
Kulikov - Subban
Smith/Butcher - Vatanen
Butcher/Smith

Last edited:
Reactions: Camille the Eel

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Murray-Subban
Butcher-Severson
Smith-Vatman

this is what I feel like we're rolling with the majority of the time everyone is healthy. I do have to say I like Carrick more than most and would prefer him over Kulikov when the injuries being to surface.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Kulikov stinks and should not be ahead of Butcher on the depth chart. There will be some games he should be rotated in if we need PK help or Smith needs a breather, but he will not get better results than Butcher.

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
If Butcher isn’t in the starting lineup they should just trade him now for whatever they can get, his value will only go down and that extra year becomes an albatross.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Not sure what you think Butcher is worth at $3.7 million, but for reference Nate Schmidt at $6 million returned a 3rd round pick.

I think 2/3 of teams won’t consider any trade unless the devils take salary back, 2/3 or the remaining 3rd probably have zero interest. Then of the remaining 3 teams take what you can get that is either a one year deal or a pick.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I think 2/3 of teams won’t consider any trade unless the devils take salary back, 2/3 or the remaining 3rd probably have zero interest. Then of the remaining 3 teams take what you can get that is either a one year deal or a pick.

Yeah, Devils would probably have to retain the max, about $1.9 million. Even then they get peanuts. I'd prefer to just hang onto him and hope that he can find what he had in his rookie year, when he was one of the better defensemen in the league.

Desert Devil

Legend
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
The only reason Smith would not make the team is if his play somehow goes downhill all of the sudden. This signing doesn't have any effect on him making the team or not.

I also don't think it makes any sense for us to trade Butcher for essentially peanuts. Vats and Murray have a long history of being injured. We need all the depth we can get.

Reactions: The 29th Pick

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Smith not going to make the team now because of this signing? I asked in the trade rumors area too thought Id ask the fans

He's been playing on the left side so far in camp so I don't think this affects Smith that much. I'd imagine they rotate him and Kulikov, and possibly a few others given the taxi squad, in and out of the lineup throughout the year unless one of them plays really well consistently.

Reactions: Arthur Morgan

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Not sure what you think Butcher is worth at $3.7 million, but for reference Nate Schmidt at $6 million returned a 3rd round pick.

I don’t think Butcher gets much of a return either but it has nothing to do with Schmidt, Vegas had a time crunch and a NTC to navigate.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
Umm Kulikov is valuable. He is the most physical veteran on this team and plays sound defense. He is good at outlet passes but he is extremely limited on production. (If you absolutely have to get rid of anyone it’s probably Butcher, who is mediocre to good all around with his flaw being slow.) Honestly this move and possible others comes down to taxi squad strategies. Vats (when healthy) is a solid top 4.

Lastly, unless they absolutely blow the doors down. All D prospects not named Jacobs should be across the street marinating.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad