Confirmed with Link: Sami Vatanen signs with Devils 1yr 2m

ghughes20

Jul 12, 2013
Good depth signing. Given the injury history, if you can get 1/2 season from both Murray and Vats that would be fine. More than that is gravy.

Reactions: glenwo2

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Oregon trail gif or it didn’t happen

20210107_125618.jpg

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
He's not really 2 way guy. He's not all that good defensively

He’s a guy who pretty consistently sees more shots on the opponents net than on his own when he’s on the ice. So I consider him a 2 way guy as his defense is good enough and his offense is good enough to tilt the ice his way. He isn’t amazing at either of those things.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
is there a NMC, do we know? gotta think he’s getting dealt in a few months

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
He’s a guy who pretty consistently sees more shots on the opponents net than on his own when he’s on the ice. So I consider him a 2 way guy as his defense is good enough and his offense is good enough to tilt the ice his way. He isn’t amazing at either of those things.

That just isn't true though either. Part of his numbers being bad is definitely because he played for us but he always saw more shots, goals, shots attempts, expected goals against rather than for with us. Obviously a very small sample with Carolina in the playoffs and Slavin-Hamilton also suffered so I wouldn't look into it all that much but his numbers were bad there.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
That just isn't true though either. Part of his numbers being bad is definitely because he played for us but he always saw more shots, goals, shots attempts, expected goals against rather than for with us. Obviously a very small sample with Carolina in the playoffs and Slavin-Hamilton also suffered so I wouldn't look into it all that much but his numbers were bad there.

You’re right. I’m looking at all TOI not ES.

His relative to the team numbers the last 2 years were break even.

I still think he fits more into a high tempo system than what the Devils ran and still think he’s a two way guy because of how he transitions the puck. He’s certainly not an offense only guy.

Reactions: Oneiro

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I love this signing. Between Sami, Murray and Kulikov we should be able to Voltron together 1 full season for a defenseman!

Seriously tho, I love Sami so I’m thrilled to have him back.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
well damn okay

some actual depth on defense is nice

maybe Butcher is on his way out

or they don't like what they have seen from the youngsters in camp? either way I love these types of signings and we got a a good player for him in the trade last time. he is a legit #4 NHL defenseman from the right side and will play #6 on this team behind PK and severs. so to me a great move. leaving. Murry, kulikov, ....... and butcher, smith, bahl, and others battling for 6/7 spot.. I like it

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
or they don't like what they have seen from the youngsters in camp? either way I love these types of signings and we got a a good player for him in the trade last time. he is a legit #4 NHL defenseman from the right side and will play #6 on this team behind PK and severs. so to me a great move. leaving. Murry, kulikov, ....... and butcher, smith, bahl, and others battling for 6/7 spot.. I like it

I mean sure I guess...but Ruff has made it a point many times to laud the young DMen, sometimes even unprompted

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
I mean sure I guess...but Ruff has made it a point many times to laud the young DMen, sometimes even unprompted
I have not listened to a ton of interviews. I caught one when they were asking about butcher.. didn't sound like he was glowing over him.. gave him some standard lip service.. etc.. I don't see butcher in the longer term plans and he can bring something back in trade I believe will see what happens.. but the defense at least on paper looks much better to start he season. this year..

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
We should just sign him to one year deals for as long as he'll take them and trade him at the deadline.

Murray-Subban
Butcher-Severson
Smith-Vatanen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad