Confirmed with Link: Sami Vatanen signs with Devils 1yr 2m

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Just adds depth. I like the move. Pushes Kulikov and Carrick down the lineup. In a season where close contact could take out half your defense for a week or more its good to have some guys down in the A or on the taxi squad with NHL experience.

I think Smith gets the start, I think Kulikov and Carrick are on the outside looking in right now.

Once he able to play of course.

FinnishDevil

Dec 6, 2013
Finland
I remember watching him in Liiga. By the time he left he had been dominant, too good for this league. Especially offensively. I know he had few good seasons with Ducks in terms of points and PP usage, but that never really clicked with NJ. He was better overall player than I had ever seen him be, especially his first season here - but in my mind he lacked the offense and especially the qualities such as his slapshot that used to be very good.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Sami play under Ruff's system with familiar guys. I think he could have his best year offensively here. I think he still has pretty good puck skills and can get the puck through traffic (wrister/snapper) pretty well.

Plus there can never be too many Finns wearing that beautiful Devils jersey. :thumbu:

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Mucho respect here :clap: Is y'all thinking Vatanen gon play the first powerplay unit or the second now? Think he has a beauty of a shot though. Interesting to see sire.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Mucho respect here :clap: Is y'all thinking Vatanen gon play the first powerplay unit or the second now? Think he has a beauty of a shot though. Interesting to see sire.

He'll probably get a chance. We have a bunch of defensemen that could get power play time, the front runners are Subban, Severson, and Smith. We may also be running 4 forwards on the powerplay.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Cool. Maybe between Vats and Ryan Murray we can get a complete season out of them injury-wise.

Reactions: Guadana

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
He'll probably get a chance. We have a bunch of defensemen that could get power play time, the front runners are Subban, Severson, and Smith. We may also be running 4 forwards on the powerplay.
Ok sire, that sounds real good and hot for the devils in today's NHL :clap: I love it. Since Lou Lamoriello and Jacques Lemaire, I've had the most biggest admiration and respect for y'alls organization for life sire. For LIFE. I'm like sentenced to do time with y'all because of lemaire's ice hockey and systematic change. He the biggest and hardest there is, With the Lou. Thanks for the list sire, I won't be expecting over the top like stallone in that film from vatanen now sire.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
He's still in Finland eh? If we sign Bratt quickly he can get a flight that stops over in Sweden and they can come back together.

Or maybe it'll be a secret reveal? Sami's back, and he also brought Jesper back with a new contract too!

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
He's still in Finland eh? If we sign Bratt quickly he can get a flight that stops over in Sweden and they can come back together.

Or maybe it'll be a secret reveal? Sami's back, and he also brought Jesper back with a new contract too!

Bratt is small enough to fit into Sami’s luggage. Bratt will need to save money any chance he gets.

Reactions: My3Sons

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Happy to see him back. Sami's a quality defender.

Worst case we ship him out at the deadline again and recoup more assets.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I just brought up the other day that it’s surprising he didn’t sign anywhere. I actually forgot up to that point that he hadn’t signed anywhere yet.

I’m really getting an erection over the odds of seeing Carrick decrease even more. Why again did we sign a journeyman like him him to a two year deal? He don’t even average two years with the same team.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
or they don't like what they have seen from the youngsters in camp? either way I love these types of signings and we got a a good player for him in the trade last time. he is a legit #4 NHL defenseman from the right side and will play #6 on this team behind PK and severs. so to me a great move. leaving. Murry, kulikov, ....... and butcher, smith, bahl, and others battling for 6/7 spot.. I like it

What youngster is Vat replacing? The right side is Severson-Subban-Vat now instead of Severson-Subban-Carrick. If anything it helps that you have a legit guy on each RD for your questionable/young LD's.

Reactions: My3Sons

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
LD

Murray
Butcher
Smith
Kulikov

RD

Subban
Severson
Vatanen
Carrick

I'm okay rolling with this. There are at least options (even if they aren't the greatest). Plus anything that puts Tennyson further away from the NHL roster I'm good with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad