Sam Lafferty

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
He had a nice start to the season with 8 goals 15 point through 28 games. Now he has 2 goals 5 points in the next 21 games. Is anyone seriously losing sleep over this guy? He'll be lucky to finish the season with 15 goals 30 points at this rate.

As already acknowledged, the mistake was signing Reaves, which pushed out Laffarty. People would Laugh, if VAN big move was to only acquire Laffarty and say he's gonna be the guy to put them over the top. He's a dime a dozen player that has regressed back to be irrelevant again.

Our entire 4th line combined is pacing for less than 15/30 though.

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
Hey, what do you know, two more players that everyone wanted to get rid of and then suddenly became irreplaceable legends once they were gone!
I don't think too many here wanted to see Hyman gone. Paying Zac would be a lot better than paying Bertuzzi the same money for less than half the production.

Reactions: Da Mash

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Hey, what do you know, two more players that everyone wanted to get rid of and then suddenly became irreplaceable legends once they were gone!

The fact that this team was able to take on a nearly identical caphit in Bertuzzi’s just shows what a catastrophic mistake Dubas made letting Hyman walk for nothing.

It really is no surprise Dubas had no success here in Toronto with faceplant decisions like that.

He made a lot of those in his time here, and probably was why MLSE had no problem letting Shanahan fire him in person.

:)

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I don't think too many here wanted to see Hyman gone. Paying Zac would be a lot better than paying Bertuzzi the same money for less than half the production.
Hyman career PPG: 55
Bertuzzi career PPG: 52

Hyman is better but his numbers are definitely inflated playing in Edmonton with you know who and he's getting top line PP minutes. Bertuzzi will pick it up soon.

Last edited:

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006

Hyman is better but his numbers are definitely inflated playing in Edmonton with you know who and he's getting top line PP minutes. Bertuzzi will pick it up soon.
Hyman will be on Canada's 2024 team and 26 so it's definitely not just about PPG.

• Haha
Reactions: Donnie740

Enga Olly

May 26, 2021

:laugh: The guy can barely stand up on his skates. Never seen a guy get knocked down so easily

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
IIRC about 95 % wanted him gone at his expected new caphit.

Must be easy to find just one thread that showed 95% of users wanting this.

Rielly vs. Hyman

I don’t think you’re accurate at all, people started appreciating Hyman right towards the end when he was in line to walk to UFA.

A lot of hate for him at the start of his career, people called him “Babcocks son” claiming he was getting unfair ice time and a career fourth liner….

Can’t say I was with the Zeke tribe on that one who soon did a full 180 once they realized he was not only good but great at what he does.

Even Dubas got so pissy about losing him because of his own cap mismanagement that he tried and failed to make Edmonton bargain for an additional year of contract for him.

Last edited:

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
I'm surprised Lafferty is still a hot topic.

I never even heard of him until he was tossed in on the horrible McCabe trade. I've been trying to forget about him ever since they dumped him. But for some reason the legend of Lafferty lives on.

Are we really gonna try and convince ourselves if Lafferty and Mikheyev were still on the team the Leafs would leading the league like Vancouver is right now?

Let's get realistic here. Lafferty is a nobody. The Canucks can have him.

If they want a couple more scrubs the Leafs could use the picks.

I don't have any emotional attachment to any of these duds myself. They're all the same plain vanilla fourth line fodder. I can't even remember most of the chumps that have gone through here since Matthews was drafted.

That'll include Lafferty soon enough.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
I don't think too many here wanted to see Hyman gone.
A lot of people have completely forgotten the years and years of "WHY IS HYMAN IN THE TOP 6?" rants that were commonplace around here... Until he left for Edmonton and McDavid helped double his point totals.

Reactions: tuckerintensity

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
A lot of people have completely forgotten the years and years of "WHY IS HYMAN IN THE TOP 6?" rants that were commonplace around here... Until he left for Edmonton and McDavid helped double his point totals.
Buddy that was in his rookie year where he had hands of stone and did absolutely nothing offensively. Trying to take that single year and pretend like that was how Leafs fans felt towards him overall is just stupid.

He was probably the most loved guy the last 3-4 years he was with us. Absolutely NOBODY was complaining about him in the top 6 at that point.

Those rants did not last "years and years" It was his rookie year and maybe a little into his sophomore year, this is a bullshit post.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
As already acknowledged, the mistake was signing Reaves, which pushed out Laffarty.

Casual fans and those new to following the game don’t comprehend the difference between the meaningless regular season and the playoffs.

Can’t have a playoff opponent jumping Matthews and swinging him around like a rag doll or having Knies get KTFO’d.

Sam LaughAtMe is about as intimidating as an earthworm. Reaves gives the Leafs the element of intimidation and swag that they were desperately missing for years.

Notice how Beardy Goudas wanted absolutely no part of Reaves on Saturday and kept skating away as quickly as he could each time Reaves got in his face.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Casual fans and those new to following the game don’t comprehend the difference between the meaningless regular season and the playoffs.

Can’t have a playoff opponent jumping Matthews and swinging him around like a rag doll or having Knies get KTFO’d.

Sam LaughAtMe is about as intimidating as an earthworm. Reaves gives the Leafs the element of intimidation and swag that they were desperately missing for years.

Notice how Beardy Goudas wanted absolutely no part of Reaves on Saturday and kept skating away as quickly as he could each time Reaves got in his face.
I had the same hopes and dreams.. I currently don't see how Reaves dresses for playoff games . Maybe just the threat of him dressing will be enough. Maybe..

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
Peoples opinion changed the last few years if he with the leafs. That was correct at the begining by the end majority did a 360 and appreciated what he brings.

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
Hopefully we can sign Bert to a cheaper long term deal now. He and his agent have no leverage anymore IMHO. Bert may just take it as he likes it here. But then again...some team will offer him stupid money.

If his name was different and he wasnt missing teeth and looking like a hippie :) I can see people calling him a bum. In his last 103 NHL games....he has a whopping 15 goals and 52 pts.

Doesnt fight ....doesnt really lay any big hits and is a liability defensively.

But hey...he has scored in the lone playoff appearance with 10 pts in 7 games but was a -4
and 6 of those pts were on the Bruins vaunted PP.....go figure.

Has a foreign player ever got this hype for those numbers?

Oh ....and he is 28 yrs old.....its not like he is a player still developing.....

I used to work contruction with guys like that.......you know....they talk...walk around alot...
people like him....but doesnt produce much.....but looks the part....clothes always dirty....sweating... :).....was good at getting coffee tho.... :)

Last edited:

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Hopefully we can sign Bert to a cheaper long term deal now. He and his agent have no leverage anymore IMHO. Bert may just take it as he likes it here. But then again...some team will offer him stupid money.

If his name was different and he wasnt missing teeth and looking like a hippie :) I can see people calling him a bum. In his last 103 NHL games....he has a whopping 15 goals and 52 pts.

Doesnt fight ....doesnt really lay any big hits and is a liability defensively.

But hey...he has scored in the lone playoff appearance with 10 pts in 7 games but was a -4
and 6 of those pts were on the Bruins vaunted PP.....go figure.

Has a foreign player ever got this hype for those numbers?

Oh ....and he is 28 yrs old.....its not like he is a player still developing.....

I used to work contruction with guys like that.......you know....they talk...walk around alot...
people like him....but doesnt produce much.....but looks the part....clothes always dirty....sweating... :).....was good at getting coffee tho.... :)
Yup you sold me, let's give him an 8 year extension

Reactions: Da Mash

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad