Sam Lafferty

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Maybe he should have played better than Minten and Gregor in camp, instead of looking Ike a disinterested PLUG. Context matters.

Now the guy was a legend here, love it! Zzzzzzz.

No doubt his camp was underwhelming to say the least. I was fine with dumping him when we did it, but if we could go back to before the Kampf and Reaves albatrosses were signed, I’d have chosen Lafferty over them probably.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
I mean looking at his stats this year is not a surprise. 21 points in 51 games last year in Chicago before coming here, this year he has 20 points in 49 so essentially the same output. vs as a leaf 6 in 19 is 16 points over 51 games, 3 in 9 playoff games is 17 points over 51 games. so he was really a point or 2 behind his typical pace. maybe not the goals total but he wasn't really far off his offensive production from before joining at the deadline and after leaving.

he wouldn't be the first guy to join a team at the deadline and see a dip in offensive production this happens all the time.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
No doubt his camp was underwhelming to say the least. I was fine with dumping him when we did it, but if we could go back to before the Kampf albatross was signed, I’d have chosen Lafferty over him probably.
Recall when we signed Kampf there were no centers available and we were thin (Nylander at center was on too). If we let him walk there, before we even signed Domi, look at our centers, it’s frightening. I can’t stand Kampf this year to be honest, but he was signed out of desperation. In retrospect, I’d like to have Lafferty, but really it was his play that sealed his fate.

Reactions: Sypher04

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
For me, it wasn't between those 2.

I know, I'm not the GM but Reaves wouldn't / shouldn't have been here.

Gregor-Kampf-Lafferty actually has some great speed on both wings.
Agreed would have been a fast line.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I tend to think of Lafferty vs Domi and Bertuzzi and their offensive production as opposite ends of a coaching spectrum where on one end you have a staff that has built confidence, purpose in its depth players while the other one is operating like an NBA bench and if you’re not starting 5 you’re not going to thrive.

We’ve all seen Lafferty here. Frankly I miss Mikheyev more. Might even miss Engvall more if we’re just talking about a general purpose speed guy who can rush once in a while.

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
Crazy shooting percentage aside, would Lafferty have had the same success here? He was healthy scratched for two playoff games, including game 6 vs Tampa, and played under 10 minutes in 3 of the other games. Didn't seem like the coaching staff was a big fan.

You can perhaps chalk that up to being tough jumping on a moving train at the deadline, and starting the season with the team would probably make him more comfortable. But he definitely wouldn't be playing with the elite players here like he was in Vancouver for a while (was glued to Pettersson)

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I tend to think of Lafferty vs Domi and Bertuzzi and their offensive production as opposite ends of a coaching spectrum where on one end you have a staff that has built confidence, purpose in its depth players while the other one is operating like an NBA bench and if you’re not starting 5 you’re not going to thrive.

We’ve all seen Lafferty here. Frankly I miss Mikheyev more. Might even miss Engvall more if we’re just talking about a general purpose speed guy who can rush once in a while.
We barely got to know Lafferty. Another waste of a TDL acquisition.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Maybe he should have played better than Minten and Gregor in camp, instead of looking Ike a disinterested PLUG. Context matters.

Now the guy was a legend here, love it! Zzzzzzz.
Seriously I don’t get the obsession with the guy

People act like we cut a 35-40 point player because “hurrr durrr we gotta make Reaves signing look good”

This is a guy who we had scratched in the playoffs because he didn’t play well

He was a 4th liner who didn’t fit at best, and a guy who looked lost out there at worst. He was the definition of a 4th liner

Great on him for playing well for the canucks, but it doesn’t change the fact that his play with us hadn’t warranted an instant keep like for example a jarnkrok had, then he goes out and gets outperformed by a rookie and a pto player

So yea, good player, but I didn’t lose any sleep at the time of trading, and I gurantee I won’t anytime soon

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Seriously I don’t get the obsession with the guy

People act like we cut a 35-40 point player because “hurrr durrr we gotta make Reaves signing look good”

This is a guy who we had scratched in the playoffs because he didn’t play well

He was a 4th liner who didn’t fit at best, and a guy who looked lost out there at worst. He was the definition of a 4th liner

Great on him for playing well for the canucks, but it doesn’t change the fact that his play with us hadn’t warranted an instant keep like for example a jarnkrok had, then he goes out and gets outperformed by a rookie and a pto player

So yea, good player, but I didn’t lose any sleep at the time of trading, and I gurantee I won’t anytime soon
It’s not about the player himself, it’s about who acquired the player. They can deny it, but it’s the sad truth

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
He had a nice start to the season with 8 goals 15 point through 28 games. Now he has 2 goals 5 points in the next 21 games. Is anyone seriously losing sleep over this guy? He'll be lucky to finish the season with 15 goals 30 points at this rate.

As already acknowledged, the mistake was signing Reaves, which pushed out Laffarty. People would Laugh, if VAN big move was to only acquire Laffarty and say he's gonna be the guy to put them over the top. He's a dime a dozen player that has regressed back to be irrelevant again.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Sam Lafferty's family don't think about him as much as some of you around here.

Bertuzzi and Domi were never going to live up to some of the ridiculous expectations around here. They were never that great nor that gritty.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Lol, Lafferty has 5pts (2g, 3a) in his last 26 gp, for a pace of 15(!) points (6 goals) over 82 games. I, for one, am shocked that he was not able to sustain his clearly unsustainable production.
The arguments over his early season hype was odd for sure but I would still take what he provides over Reaves any day of the week.

Doesn't matter anyways. Now McMann is standing out really well in the bottom 6

Reactions: Buds17 and Gallagbi

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Funny thing is im still taking Bertuzzi and Domi over him any day since thats the comparison being made here.

The player Im mad we kept over him is David Kampf

Reactions: Havoc

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad