Rumor: Sam Girard for forward help [ MOD warning # 274 ]

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010

the avs pretty handily swept the blues last postseason, like not even close to being a series the avs wouldn't win, but girard was by far the easiest one to hem in his own zone for the lackluster blues. i got excited just seeing him step on the ice. sure, the blues weren't going to win, but if girard was on the ice in his own zone, you could get a goal or create some pressure. i would say they should be disappointed with his postseason play in general rather than scapegoat him for the 2nd round loss.

Peter Peckerwood

Aug 6, 2020
9764 Jeopardy Lane
the avs pretty handily swept the blues last postseason, like not even close to being a series the avs wouldn't win, but girard was by far the easiest one to hem in his own zone for the lackluster blues. i got excited just seeing him step on the ice. sure, the blues weren't going to win, but if girard was on the ice in his own zone, you could get a goal or create some pressure. i would say they should be disappointed with his postseason play in general rather than scapegoat him for the 2nd round loss.

He's not a scapegoat for the loss as much as Kadri, Nemeth, Soda and Graves were. However, most of us Avs fans realize that the team just didn't perform in general, either. VGK took it to them.
So, losing what the team did to FA/XD and then injury, Girard will likely only be moved as a move that addresses a pressing need at the high end of the lineup.
Even though we tend to whine and moan on our forum, it is mostly just us lip flapping and frustration with the injuries that kill production and chemistry. G is small, but fits the system. I still don't think he was too healthy after that knee injury.
If he can return something that will provide a definite upgrade in another spot such as 2C, then it might be a possibility to move him. Kadri was pretty much dead weight most of the season or at least underperformed. The Avs will likely take advantage of him playing for his next deal since he seems to be doing what most of us thought he'd do this season. That means 2C is taken care of, most likely. They want to see what they have in Newhook anyway. That may take awhile. He may be up and down a few times.

Now, if Mack is out longer than 3 weeks, that may change. Especially with Compher dinged up.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
In 3 of the 4 games against the Blues, Girard had over a 55% CF and was on for 4 goals for and only 2 against. Blues scored 7 total goals in the series, which means majority were scored when Girard was not on the ice.

Strange, strange take.

katfude

Sep 25, 2015
LeBrun finally confirmed what we all knew anyway.

Lock this tire fire up!

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
"A team could call the Avs with an offer they cant refuse. But all things being equal, we can end the Girard talk. The Avs have no intention on moving him"

As a few of us have long contested in here. A Top 10 contract in the league and a Top pairing Dman who's 23 years old. f***ing of course he's not being shopped. Unless its a blow your socks off kind of offer, he's not going anywhere. Far too valuable.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
"A team could call the Avs with an offer they cant refuse. But all things being equal, we can end the Girard talk. The Avs have no intention on moving him"

As a few of us have long contested in here. A Top 10 contract in the league and a Top pairing Dman who's 23 years old. f***ing of course he's not being shopped. Unless its a blow your socks off kind of offer, he's not going anywhere. Far too valuable.

Pretty much. It only would have happened if a center of similar value was offered, and even that was only because Byram was healthy and dominating. Oh how dramatically things changed in a week, Eichel is now unavailable, Kadri learned how to play hockey again, and Byram is out for god knows how long.

Lets lock this thread up mods.

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
In 3 of the 4 games against the Blues, Girard had over a 55% CF and was on for 4 goals for and only 2 against. Blues scored 7 total goals in the series, which means majority were scored when Girard was not on the ice.

Strange, strange take.
Binnington disillusionment syndrome.

TheHelmet

Feb 10, 2021
Pat Laftonaines Trophy Room

it was that bad against the Knights

He had soooo many dangerous scoring chances when was on the ice.

AlwaysSunnyInDetroit

Oct 1, 2021
Well, Girard is a much better player, and he's younger, and he's signed for much longer then Hronek, so... Not really a good comparable at all.
That's debatable. Hronek is a better goal scorer, has a better ppg% despite playing on a significantly worse team, averages 2+ more minutes per game, plays twice as much on the PK, bigger than Girard, tougher to knock off the puck, cheaper contract, still an RFA afterwards. Girard is only 6 months younger. They're a lot closer than you want to believe.

Last edited:

Peter Peckerwood

Aug 6, 2020
9764 Jeopardy Lane
That's debatable. Hronek is a better goal scorer, has a better ppg% despite playing on a significantly worse team, averages 2+ more minutes per game, plays twice as much on the PK, bigger than Girard, tougher to knock off the puck, cheaper contract, still an RFA afterwards. Girard is only 6 months younger. They're a lot closer than you want to believe.
Regardless, nobody in this thread cares about Hronek so why bring him up? People in this thread don't even care about G other than to bash him and state why they think he isn't of value. So you want to move Hronek, then?

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
I’d hold off on Girard trade talk for the time being. Let’s see Rantanen play at C a few more times. Based on what I saw, it makes acquiring a dedicated C a want and not a need. Avs should sit tight and watch how the season progresses a bit and not overreact now.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Strange, strange take.

The interesting context with Girard's Corsi is zone starts. Prior to this year, he was getting mostly offensive zone starts and his Corsi was well above 50% (+ player too). This year, he is getting more D zone starts and his Corsi is floating around 50% and he is a - player. I value Girard but you need the right type to pair with him. Avs can jump on my back all day long... he is gifted skater and offensive type but he's not a stud in his own end and teams can target him.

Several Habs fans would like to trade for him. Not me. I value Girard but not the type I would target and he does nothing for the Habs in either trying to save the season or in tank years.

He's basically a better version of Ghostisbehere. Makes better decisions with the puck and is more consistent. A very solid top 4D if you have the right guy to pair him with. That's how I see Girard's value.

Peter Peckerwood

Aug 6, 2020
9764 Jeopardy Lane
The interesting context with Girard's Corsi is zone starts. Prior to this year, he was getting mostly offensive zone starts and his Corsi was well above 50% (+ player too). This year, he is getting more D zone starts and his Corsi is floating around 50% and he is a - player. I value Girard but you need the right type to pair with him. Avs can jump on my back all day long... he is gifted skater and offensive type but he's not a stud in his own end and teams can target him.

Several Habs fans would like to trade for him. Not me. I value Girard but not the type I would target and he does nothing for the Habs in either trying to save the season or in tank years.

He's basically a better version of Ghostisbehere. Makes better decisions with the puck and is more consistent. A very solid top 4D if you have the right guy to pair him with. That's how I see Girard's value.

Good thing we aren't trading him. Especially to Montreal.The Avs need to find out what they have, find consistency and are busy shuffling things around due to injury. The Chambers article has been shown to be hack journalism. Why is this being recycled over and over? Especially by Habs fans? Let Bargain Bin look elsewhere.

nightonthesun

Sep 8, 2013
New Jersey
Rantanen's a center, baby. Lock the thread. :cool::cool::cool:

In truth, Byram's concussion issues make Girard completely indispensable until further notice. And anyway, if the team's offense continues to click, there will be 0 reason not to think, "hmm we're really deep at D, let's just... do that"

I still think the team needs another top 6 FW, though

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015
Girard is on a great long-term contract and is one of the best transition dmen in the league today.

Also, people still don’t seem to grasp that Girard is only 23 years old, so he’s not a fully finished product yet.

I really think that he’ll be a very sound, top pairing guy by the time he’s in his mid to late 20’s.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
Girard is on a great long-term contract and is one of the best transition dmen in the league today.

Also, people still don’t seem to grasp that Girard is only 23 years old, so he’s not a fully finished product yet.

I really think that he’ll be a very sound, top pairing guy by the time he’s in his mid to late 20’s.
Does he still got a growth spurt or two in him?

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Rantanen's a center, baby. Lock the thread. :cool::cool::cool:

In truth, Byram's concussion issues make Girard completely indispensable until further notice. And anyway, if the team's offense continues to click, there will be 0 reason not to think, "hmm we're really deep at D, let's just... do that"

I still think the team needs another top 6 FW, though

Avs having all these injuries early allowed the team attempts at different line combinations. When healthy, Rants playing 2C changes the entire outlook of their roster. I can't see Girard being available as they continue to play well without Mack.

Homer - Whoo Hoo.gif

Reactions: nightonthesun

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad