Rumor: Sam Girard for forward help [ MOD warning # 274 ]

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
yes let’s disregard Caufield scoring 12 pts in 20 playoffs games, when things really count. Also how many pts did Girard score in his first 20 regular season games, 5. This means very little as you can see.

Caufield is one of the best prospects in the game at the moment and teams are willing to pay a lot for that potential.

Girard is fantastic but was pretty much exposed during the playoffs. Size matters much more for Ds than Wings and this lowers Girard’s value even though he puts up lots of pts

Its funny that you keep bringing up size with Girard in a conversation that has him swapped with Caufield...

Gs size has been an issue against Vegas. He has to prove that he can overcome teams getting that physical in the playoffs (he and the rest of the Avs) if he really wants to get into the potential #1 D conversation. But even if he can't do that, he will be a decent #2 or beyond amazing #3 at worst.

Caufield has to prove that his size will not prevent him from being anything more than a offensive first shooter but overall liability on a 2nd line on a bad team.

Caufield is nowhere near worth Girard. Not even close. G is way closer to Suzuki in value than Caufield.

If there is one guy in the league where I am having size concerns right now, its Caufield...

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
Its funny that you keep bringing up size with Girard in a conversation that has him swapped with Caufield...

Gs size has been an issue against Vegas. He has to prove that he can overcome teams getting that physical in the playoffs (he and the rest of the Avs) if he really wants to get into the potential #1 D conversation. But even if he can't do that, he will be a decent #2 or beyond amazing #3 at worst.

Caufield has to prove that his size will not prevent him from being anything more than a offensive first shooter but overall liability on a 2nd line on a bad team.

Caufield is nowhere near worth Girard. Not even close. G is way closer to Suzuki in value than Caufield.

If there is one guy in the league where I am having size concerns right now, its Caufield...

I also said size has much greater impact for Ds then wingers.

You hugely overvalue Girard. He will never be a #1 D and that is because he will always struggle against hard forecheck and can’t move big players parking their ass in front of goalies.

Think about what you would have traded for Jared Spurgeon 7 years ago and that is exactly Girard’s value and that sure as hell ain’t Suzuki

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
Ok ok the Avs have 3 top 2D men and are the greatest team on earth. Just a reminder that Barrie was posting better numbers in COL, is he a top 2 Dman too ?
You’re kinda having an argument with yourself here bud. You’re also clearly stat watching and not watching games. Barrie put up better numbers but was much much worse 5v5.

Reactions: Prominence

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
yes let’s disregard Caufield scoring 12 pts in 20 playoffs games, when things really count. Also how many pts did Girard score in his first 20 regular season games, 5. This means very little as you can see.

Caufield is one of the best prospects in the game at the moment and teams are willing to pay a lot for that potential.

Girard is fantastic but was pretty much exposed during the playoffs. Size matters much more for Ds than Wings and this lowers Girard’s value even though he puts up lots of pts
Did you just compare forwards points to defenseman points as an argument?

Reactions: katfude and Linds

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
I can see the Avs trading him but really hope they don’t unless it’s in a package for a better player (like in the Eichel rumours).

Avs have a super unique breakdown where they receive more offense from their defence than any other contender I can remember. The Avs have all of Makar, Girard, Toews, and Byram capable of 40+ points and then EJ and Murray who are capable of 20+. This leads most to believe that they should trade an offensive d for a forward but the truth is we haven’t seen if this style can work as the Avs are the first to really go all in on offensive D. Last year it didn’t work but that doesn’t mean it can’t.

I would rather focus on targeting defensive first forwards (Danault, Faksa, Staal, etc) and try a reverse style where the defenders drive the offense and forwards drive the defense, if for no other reason to see if this roster composition can work.

Guitpik

Jul 8, 2006
Last thing the Kings need is another small defenseman. They could use to be more physical on the back end as well as up front. So, I don't see them having any interest in trading Vilardi for a small defenseman. Vilardi would be a piece of a trade package for a top pairing defenseman, which Girard really isn't.

Reactions: go4hockey

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
How much do you think Toews will be asking on his new contract?

In my opinion, it is too early to tell. Toews hasn't settled on any level yet, that is, it is hard to tell what he'll be in closer to three years (summer 2024). I know it is unrealistic, but still, if the progress is what it has been since 2017, he'll win Norris by 2024. Yeah, probably not, but what else does his progress point at?

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Last thing the Kings need is another small defenseman. They could use to be more physical on the back end as well as up front. So, I don't see them having any interest in trading Vilardi for a small defenseman. Vilardi would be a piece of a trade package for a top pairing defenseman, which Girard really isn't.

Agreed. The Kings need some more edge.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
3 points game, maybe they'll keep him now lol

He was never available, not in the context of the quote the OP used anyway.

He's a top pairing Dman signed to a phenomenal contract for 5 more years and he's only 23 years old.

The only way he's available is if a team is prepared to move a Center they really dont want to give up.

Cant help but laugh at fans of other teams thinking they get this guys for pieces they are hoping get traded, like Drouin in Montreal and Bailey with the Islanders :laugh: Zero chance he's deal for those sorts of players.

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
So a top 2 Dman is traded for 2x2nd ? You don t think half of the league would have paid more for a top 2Dman and that he would be paid more than 4x4. I like Toews and Girard but come on, if they are top 2Ds, what are Makar Heiskanen Hedman Ekblad Josi … ?
They are all #1 dmen. There should technically be 64 top pair dmen in the league. Realistically there aren't that many but having 3 on one team instead 2 isn't the wildest thing.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011

I mean what do you guys believe a very injury prone 22 year old forward who has never even proven he can even hit 40 points in this league or come even close to a 82 game season is worth?

But sure...
Girard who is only 1 year older but outscoring him and way outperforming him is not a good enough target..
Classic hfboards. As if any team would even consider Vilardi a real piece for a young top pairing D with term in return right now. Throw-in maybe...

No interest in trading G for him. Would have to be Byfield or Turcotte (++)in return for the Avs to even make them think and I have my doubts the Kings would do that.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad