Sam Gagner

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I recall reading somewhere about his mother being American, so he could have options. And history has indicated that the kids usually do what is best for their hockey career.

I suppose it could be another Brady Murray situation. Murray was born in Canada, raised in Minnesota, and decided to play for the U.S.-AFTER attending an invite to the Canadian WJC camp.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
I recall reading somewhere about his mother being American, so he could have options. And history has indicated that the kids usually do what is best for their hockey career.

I thought the same thing but another HF corrected me last year. Both of Gagner's parents are Canadian. Oddly enough his sisters are dual citizens but he is not as he was born in Canada to two Canadian citizens.....meaning he cannot play for the U.S.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
I thought the same thing but another HF corrected me last year. Both of Gagner's parents are Canadian. Oddly enough his sisters are dual citizens but he is not as he was born in Canada to two Canadian citizens.....meaning he cannot play for the U.S.
sam tried out for the canadian under-18 team and was cut.no big deal canada still won the gold medal:handclap:

David McConnor

Unregistered User
Aug 30, 2006
Alert, Nunavut
20 assists in 7 games.

Let's say he plays 60 of the 68 games. This is in case he's involved in the WJC, as well for the purpose to reason with the pace.

That's 171 assists.

It's scary to think how reasonable it is that he has 100+ helpers by season's end. That would be friggin unreal yet it's so possible right now.

How did this guy just turn 17 a couple months ago?

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
wow already three topics on Gagner at the time ;) , he's really making a name of himself in the 'O. he'll be going up in the ranks this season for sure.

These are Crosby like numbers(actually better I think) at only 17 yrs of age!! Almost 4pts per game!

Is there a difference between Gagner and Crosby?

RUSqueelin*

Nov 2, 2005
These are Crosby like numbers(actually better I think) at only 17 yrs of age!! Almost 4pts per game!

Is there a difference between Gagner and Crosby?

Yes, Crosby has more talent in his pinky toe. Lets not get carried away here.

5mn Major

Jan 14, 2006
Gagner and Kane at 31 pts and 22 pts are on top in the OHL. I'd suspect that that will continue...but bet that the gap between the two closes.

Regardless of its validity, Gagners success certainly won't hurt the USHL.

Last edited:

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
Yes, Crosby has more talent in his pinky toe. Lets not get carried away here.

oh please, stop overrating crosby

until crosby puts up a 200pt season he's just mortal and has yet to do anything beyond what other players can do.

can gagne play in the nhl one day and put up these numbers? who knows

but its not far fetched to think he can come in and put up similar numbers to crosby if he continues at this pace

his play right now is a definate sign that he can put up points - and with the NHL changed to make finesse players like Crosby - i dont see why not

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
sam tried out for the canadian under-18 team and was cut.no big deal canada still won the gold medal:handclap:

Yep we did. Still, do you think Hockey Canada brass learned something. They kept Zack Torquato for that team and he did zilch. Given another chance, do you think they might pick Gagner for either the world junior or at the very least our under-18 team next spring?

If they want to bring him into the program, they're better off inviting him to junior camp because it is very unlikely that London will miss the playoffs or be eliminated in time for Gagner to be considered for the U-18 next spring.

derbyfan

Nov 23, 2002
Visit site

until crosby puts up a 200pt season he's just mortal and has yet to do anything beyond what other players can do.

but its not far fetched to think he can come in and put up similar numbers to crosby if he continues at this pace

his play right now is a definate sign that he can put up points - and with the NHL changed to make finesse players like Crosby - i dont see why not

So any player that hasn't put up a 200-point campaign doesn't cut it in your books (everyone not named Gretzky, tough luck).
Give me a break man. You are out to lunch on so many levels.
Crosby became the youngest player in NHL history to record
100 points in a season.
As a 16 year old, he dropped 135 points in QMJHL.
Sam Gagner had 46 points for Sioux City of the USHL at 16.
As an underager, Crosby made the Under-18 squad, then the World Juniors.
Gagner couldn't make the Under-18 team this year against his age group, never mind garnering a second of consideration for the big boy team.
In his draft year Crosby was the bonafide, clear-cut, golden boy, can't miss (etc.) #1 projected pick, from the time he was about 15 to selection day.
Gagner is being mentioned as a possible challenger to Esposito, Voracek, Katic, Petriki and the like.

Hmmm...Boy that Crosby was sure overrated, and that Gagner
sure seems like a challenger.
Listen, I like Gagner. I think he's a talented young player, quite possibly even the #1 overall selection this year (although I doubt it).
But we've pretty much given up on the whole "Crosby is overrated" thing around here, especially when comparing him to a freaking OHL rookie who's played all of 9 games at this point. Should Crosby be compared to Gretzky or Lemieux? Hell no, certainly not at this point.
But Sid IS a generational player (along with Ovechkin). There's a huge difference between that, and a nice 17-year old who's had an eye-opening start to the OHL season.

dell

Oct 5, 2005
Is there any defense or goaltending in the OHL. I watched Gagner play 8 times last year in the USHL, and I agree he is a talented player. BUT, 32 points in 9 games tells me the "O" is a joke defensively.

RUSqueelin*

Nov 2, 2005

:amazed:

Someone has to be the second player in NHL history to put up 200 points in a year to be considered elite?:help: And I thought being the youngest player in the history of the league to pot 100 was good.

Anyways, like I said, Crosby has more talent in his pinky toe then Sam Gagner.

anybody get a video of Gagner's shootout goal last night, please post it. This kid has some sweet hands.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
Is there any defense or goaltending in the OHL. I watched Gagner play 8 times last year in the USHL, and I agree he is a talented player. BUT, 32 points in 9 games tells me the "O" is a joke defensively.

It is very difficult sometimes to determine how one league comapres to another when you are only looking to see how many points X player is getting in Y league this year compared to X player's points in Z league last year.

Consider that last year T. Lewis was the leading regular season and playoff points getter in the USHL. He averaged 1.45 pts/game in 11 playoff contests and 1.35 pts/game in 56 regular season games. One year later, after a year of further development, he is averaging roughly the same statistics in the O as he was in the USHL, with the main difference being that he is currently 22nd in league scoring.

Few would have considered Gagner to be a better player than Lewis last year but who would argue differently now??? Of course things may change in a hurry, with Lewis exploding and Gagner stalling, but as of now Gagner is considered to be the better player.

The O has become even more offensive minded than it once was while last year the USHL was still bogged down in the old clutching and grabbing, defenisve minded mentality (before you argue otherwise, I managed to see more than a 1/2 dozen games there last year and yes, the games had very little flow and lacked intensity). It appears now that the USHL has also "opened up" and scoring is incresing. You will now see "inflated" stats in the USHL this year as well.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad