Sam Gagner

OHLArenaGuide

it's dot com
Dec 4, 2003
London, ON
www.ohlarenaguide.com
The USHL is not and will never be on a par with Major Junior or NCAA, since they are often only used as a stepping-stone for the NCAA. The CHL and NCAA are pretty much on a par, but the USHL is a step down. Would Sam Gagner be playing in the USHL as a 19-year-old? Not a chance. He would have moved on to Wisconsin. That's the difference.

Crosby=Gretzky

Dec 7, 2004
i lost myself
I for those who haven't seen Gagner's goal on Friday night, here is the link. It made the highlight reels on all the major Canadian sports networks. An end to end beauty.

If the link doesn't take you right there, click on the Sudbury/London 3-2 game. The goal is 40 secs in and they show a full clip of it again 1:00 in.

http://www.rogerstelevision.com/option.asp?lid=37&g=8316&c=255

link doesn't work..
i'd love to see the goal, he seems to be doing really well so far...how has McRae been playing? and Kevin Bodker?

HFNHL Canadiens

Aug 12, 2004
Guelph
The USHL is not and will never be on a par with Major Junior or NCAA, since they are often only used as a stepping-stone for the NCAA. The CHL and NCAA are pretty much on a par, but the USHL is a step down. Would Sam Gagner be playing in the USHL as a 19-year-old? Not a chance. He would have moved on to Wisconsin. That's the difference.
The USHL isn't as good, but its more low scoring, thats why Gagner's stats as a 16y/o in the USHL were soo impressive.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
I realize you said "IMO" but I think you better be getting a new opinion. There is a reason the American players come up to play in the CHL. I wonder what the reason might be.....hmmmm..?

maybe because some of them are not interested in playing college hockey:dunno: the ushl is basically for players who is going to take the college route. i agree that the ohl is slightly better, but is sure isn't much. would have been fun to watch a game between the top ushl team and the knights. or owen sound.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006

ncaa is better then the ohl imo. the players are older and bigger. do you really think skille would have had 1 point pr 2 games in the O. it's just to look at the stats. do you think schremp would have gotten 100 points in 40 ncaa games and radulov 100 pints?? i dont!!

PuckheadMcGillycuddy

Aug 12, 2002
ncaa is better then the ohl imo. the players are older and bigger. do you really think skille would have had 1 point pr 2 games in the O. it's just to look at the stats. do you think schremp would have gotten 100 points in 40 ncaa games and radulov 100 pints?? i dont!!

Totally agree with you, redwingsfan. Matt Auffrey was set to be Wisconsin's 13th forward last season (he played just one game for the Badgers in their first few series), and rather than continuing to be a regular healthy scratch, he jumped to the OHL, where he promptly put up 50 points in 59 games with Kitchener.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=78641

BlueJays

Dec 12, 2005
Anybody play defense in the O?

The question about defence in the O is valid, even moreso when asking if these high-scoring phenoms play defence. That part of their game is pretty much non-existent so far.
So far in this early OHL season it is evident that both Kane & Gagner have distinct advantages in the amount of ice-time they are provided over many of their peers. Having said that, to their credit they are making the most of it, piling up the points at an incredible pace to date, especially Gagner.
But both of these players are staying on the ice on back-to-back power plays for ridiculous shifts, sometimes up to over 7 minutes at a time.
I don't know too many junior teams other than London who will allow their skill players to take excessively long shifts like this. Eventually an injury might occur at the end of one of these marathon PP shifts before they rethink this strategy.
They did the same thing last season with Schremp, Hunter, Bolland, Kostitsyn, AJ Perry, etc. and those players mmassed big point totals also.
Gagner will see his draft stock rise no doubt, as will Patrick Kane. But it is still rare that a highly offensive-minded player who can't play a lick of D will go first or second overall (see Schremp....).

RUSqueelin*

Nov 2, 2005
link doesn't work..
i'd love to see the goal, he seems to be doing really well so far...how has McRae been playing? and Kevin Bodker?

Link still works for me. McRae is only 16 and is not upto the pace and doesn't have the confidence yet. He's not on the special teams either cause London has deep forwards. Seems to be pressing and trying to hard. But he will be good in the future. Bodker is being broken in slowly, just recently played two games and looked not bad. He's got a bright future.

maybe because some of them are not interested in playing college hockey:dunno: the ushl is basically for players who is going to take the college route. i agree that the ohl is slightly better, but is sure isn't much. would have been fun to watch a game between the top ushl team and the knights. or owen sound.

Again, they would just stay in the USHL even if they weren't keen on College if it was comparable. This is getting way off topic. Go to the the NCAA or USHL topics and seek some opinions on the topic. Top teams in the OHL would smoke the top USHL teams.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
Rusqueelin and MnGophs (correct) opinions are an exact summary as to why the USHL is below the CHL....too many other options for the top U.S. talent and the league's inability to retain the talent it does have for more than one or two years.

Since this will not change in the forseeable future, the USHL will always be a step behind the O.

Bluejays, I am sure Rusqueelin will back me up here, but both Kane and Gagner have paid attention to their own end.....I don't think Hunter would have it any other way (remember he did make an example out of Richmond and he even dogged Shremp because of his two way play, or lack of)

RUSqueelin*

Nov 2, 2005
Rusqueelin and MnGophs (correct) opinions are an exact summary as to why the USHL is below the CHL....too many other options for the top U.S. talent and the league's inability to retain the talent it does have for more than one or two years.

Since this will not change in the forseeable future, the USHL will always be a step behind the O.

Bluejays, I am sure Rusqueelin will back me up here, but both Kane and Gagner have paid attention to their own end.....I don't think Hunter would have it any other way (remember he did make an example out of Richmond and he even dogged Shremp because of his two way play, or lack of)

I've seen 5 out of the 6 games this year and I haven't seen any issues with their defensive play.

2 points for Gagner tonight, 4 for Kane. Sam is now leading the OHL in scoring as a 17 year old.

edit: VOB, when you posted that link on the first page I thought it was a Gagner interview saying on how he learned from the under 18 camp and has to work harder (cause I thought I did see one at one point) but now that I read it again it was of the Gagner goal - then I went and posted it again. Oh well. I was looking for the Gagner interview on that link - no wonder I couldn't find it. :)

Chuck Schwartz

Dec 11, 2004
Wisconsin
www.buckyhockey.com
I have strong opinions on the subjest and the USHL is not better than the OHL IMO. The future NCAAers have three or in some cases 4 options. Shattucks, Parsie, Stafford, Chourney, Toews. The u18 team, EJ, JJ, Kessel, Stoa. High School, Oshie, Goligoski, Lee, Niskanen. And then the USHL. The American talent is pretty diluted throughout the leagues. Bring all those players into one league. And you have a very strong argument. And the USHL is improving greatly. But still has a ways to go.

Scoring is another story. The USHL does not see a lot of high scorers. Only about the top 10 were over a point per. And i think Kane was at a point per in games vs NCAA for the u18 team. Can never compare numbers in different leagues.

SHATTUCK ST. MARYS...not shattucks...there is no S on the end

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Totally agree with you, redwingsfan. Matt Auffrey was set to be Wisconsin's 13th forward last season (he played just one game for the Badgers in their first few series), and rather than continuing to be a regular healthy scratch, he jumped to the OHL, where he promptly put up 50 points in 59 games with Kitchener.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=78641

yeah. i was thinking about tyler swystun when you said that. if he didnt play college hockey last season i think he would have been drafted. he is playing in the whl now and is doing great.
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=93821

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
I always liked Gagne more than Tavares

his numbers this season are showing why

it'd be awesome to see them paired up again, that was a lethal combo in AAA

TheHoser

Jul 13, 2006
English Quebec
Does anyone know anything about the kid? He's 17 and currently tearing the OHL apart, 24 points in 7 games. Those numbers would be awesome even in the high-flying QMJHL, but I don't know a lot about him. He's listed as 5'11, is size going to be a major issue come draft day, or can we expect him to be a top pick in the draft?

RUSqueelin*

Nov 2, 2005
I thought Gagner had an ok game tonight. Didn't play much at all in the 2nd and 3rd in a blowout. After the game, I look at the score sheet and the kid got 6 frickin points! What's up with that?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
For who Team USA or Team Canada?

Will he get invited and would he make either team?

He was born in Canada and considers himself Canadian, so I would assume any invite would have to come from the Canadian brass. He should definately be considered.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->