Sam Gagner

sniperfan

Mar 27, 2006
another 4 points game. leading the ohl in scoring with 17 points in 5 games played.
wow! is he for real? who would you compare him to in the nhl? is he a top 10 material?

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
another 4 points game. leading the ohl in scoring with 17 points in 5 games played.
wow! is he for real? who would you compare him to in the nhl? is he a top 10 material?

i havent seen him play, but if he keeps on producing at this rate he could challenge for the #1 spot.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Sam Gagner is going to be a top 5 pick, gurantee, he might even go 1st overall.

What makes you say that? I have yet to see the kid play, but obviously from the numbers he's putting up, he's gaining some attention real quick!

I really didn't expect too much from him this year as last year he didn't put up great numbers in the USHL and this past summer he was cut from Team Canada prior to the U18 World Junior Cup.

Most of the reports from others had cooled down on Gagner and I don't believe anyone predicted this kind of start for the kid.

HFNHL Canadiens

Aug 12, 2004
Guelph
What makes you say that? I have yet to see the kid play, but obviously from the numbers he's putting up, he's gaining some attention real quick!

I really didn't expect too much from him this year as last year he didn't put up great numbers in the USHL and this past summer he was cut from Team Canada prior to the U18 World Junior Cup.

Most of the reports from others had cooled down on Gagner and I don't believe anyone predicted this kind of start for the kid.
46pts in 56 games is extremley impressive for a 16 y/o. He finished 2nd on his team in scoring, as a 16 y/o. Okposo scored 12 more points but was over a year older, and his team was stacked, while Gagner's was quite mediocore.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
46pts in 56 games is extremley impressive for a 16 y/o. He finished 2nd on his team in scoring, as a 16 y/o. Okposo scored 12 more points but was over a year older, and his team was stacked, while Gagner's was quite mediocore.

i agree

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
I've been to all 3 of the Knights home games this year and have to say I a pleasantly surprised with his production. I was expecting him to average a little over a PPG this year but he's on fire. I know he'll slow down but its very possible that he'll hit 100 points. Coming into the season I thought Kane would be the dominant player on the Knights but Gagner has 17 pts to Kane's 9.

Where do you see Kane and Gagner going in the draft (even though its extremely early).

Before the season I thought:

Kane top 5
Gagner top 10

Now i'd say:

Gagner top 5, possibly top 3
Kane top 10

5mn Major

Jan 14, 2006
Ignoring the age difference for just a minute, the discrepancy in the early stats between Gagner and Kane is very interesting.

Kane had far, far better play last year...the guy was unstoppable with the NTDP. At this point you can say one of a couple possibilities is likely either the scoring descrepancy will balance out with more games or Gagner really developed toward the back half of last year and through the summer.

The other possibility is that there's a psychological or other difference between the Canadian OHL and American USHL/NTDP play that is really resonating with these two players.

HFNHL Canadiens

Aug 12, 2004
Guelph
Ignoring the age difference for just a minute, the discrepancy in the early stats between Gagner and Kane is very interesting.

Kane had far, far better play last year...the guy was unstoppable with the NTDP. At this point you can say one of a couple possibilities is likely either the scoring descrepancy will balance out with more games or Gagner really developed toward the back half of last year and through the summer.

The other possibility is that there's a psychological or other difference between the Canadian OHL and American USHL/NTDP play that is really resonating with these two players.
USHL is much harder and more challenging then the U18 NDTP, The USHL is probably a tougher league offensively then the OHL.

PuckheadMcGillycuddy

Aug 12, 2002
what was so funny about that. so usa cant have one great junior league, but canada has three?? the ushl is just as good as the ohl imo.

I don't think it's quite as good as the OHL, but the difference isn't as great as many Canadians would like to think. Gagner's USHL totals from last year were very impressive considering his age.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
USHL is much harder and more challenging then the U18 NDTP, The USHL is probably a tougher league offensively then the OHL.

So you are saying that USHL games are more difficult than the 20 or so college games the NTDP plays or the tournaments the U-18's are involved in that feature some of the best young talent in the world? Me thinks not. Yes, some of the NTDP stats are padded playing NAHL teams but I believe that Kane was equally as effective against D-1 teams as he was against others.

I do agree that the USHL is more low scoring than the OHL but that doesn't mean its better or even on par with the O. Just ask some players who played in both leagues. Trevor Lewis was asked his opinion of the two and his answer was what you'd expect....the OHL is better.

HFNHL Canadiens

Aug 12, 2004
Guelph
So you are saying that USHL games are more difficult than the 20 or so college games the NTDP plays or the tournaments the U-18's are involved in that feature some of the best young talent in the world? Me thinks not. Yes, some of the NTDP stats are padded playing NAHL teams but I believe that Kane was equally as effective against D-1 teams as he was against others.

I do agree that the USHL is more low scoring than the OHL but that doesn't mean its better or even on par with the O. Just ask some players who played in both leagues. Trevor Lewis was asked his opinion of the two and his answer was what you'd expect....the OHL is better.
yeah, I never said USHL is better than the O, I said it was tougher offensively.

RUSqueelin*

Nov 2, 2005

There is nothing wrong with Kane. Gagner is just racking the points up now. He seems to be one of those players who is just a point scoring machine. Gagner's really improved (I think it has a lot to do with confidence) since training camp.

The kid has sick stick skills (much more so than Kane) and is now rounding out to form.

I don't know about this. Kane has wicked hands some of the best puck poise I've ever seem from a junior player.

what was so funny about that. so usa cant have one great junior league, but canada has three?? the ushl is just as good as the ohl imo.

I realize you said "IMO" but I think you better be getting a new opinion. There is a reason the American players come up to play in the CHL. I wonder what the reason might be.....hmmmm..?

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
I have strong opinions on the subjest and the USHL is not better than the OHL IMO. The future NCAAers have three or in some cases 4 options. Shattucks, Parsie, Stafford, Chourney, Toews. The u18 team, EJ, JJ, Kessel, Stoa. High School, Oshie, Goligoski, Lee, Niskanen. And then the USHL. The American talent is pretty diluted throughout the leagues. Bring all those players into one league. And you have a very strong argument. And the USHL is improving greatly. But still has a ways to go.

Scoring is another story. The USHL does not see a lot of high scorers. Only about the top 10 were over a point per. And i think Kane was at a point per in games vs NCAA for the u18 team. Can never compare numbers in different leagues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad