Value of: Sam Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
It's not crazy at all. The crazy thing is the impatience and lack of understanding when it comes to Bennett's development. Just like with Hamilton, when half of the Flames online fan base wanted to run him out of town. For a hockey market that wanted a rebuild so badly, ,some Flames fans sure do lack the understanding and patience required for actual player development. Anyone who isn't an instant success is trash and should be booted off the team in their eyes.

Agreed. I was in the Dome when he scored the beauty against the Pens and I was saying to myself that this kid will be the best Forward on the Flames in the next 3-5 years. I am aware 1 Goal or a play is not something to base an opinion on, but most games he showcases that the high end skill is there. Time will tell...

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
is this a comment about the color of his skin? I can't believe I just read this?

He definitely meant that he's a powerforward, and they don't tend to keep up as long in their career. He DEFINITELY could have worded that better though.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
is this a comment about the color of his skin? I can't believe I just read this?

I apologize I originally intended to say "history of play style" but forgot to add play style and get rid of history. I meant to say he's a power forward and I apologize if it came across as racist.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I apologize I originally intended to say "history of play style" but forgot to add play style and get rid of history. I meant to say he's a power forward and I apologize if it came across as racist.

If you didn't mean it don't apologise haha.

The world today

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Simmonds for Bennett and a 1st.

Calgary gets the best player for the next 2 years with the opportunity to re-sign him.
Philly hopefully gets the better long term.

Not giving up a 1st too. We'd only get him for 2 years.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Yea no chance Lazar is worth much at all. Bennett is still a good prospect, doesn't have the high-end skill to be a #1C type but a #2C, gritty workhorse type is still in the books. He's one of the uncommon talents that work better as a C than a W moving forward as well (high motor, can play a full 200 foot game, but doesn't have the high-end skill as some of the top 6 wingers in this league). I'm a fan of him. I am a fan of RNH too but his deal makes him unattractive.

What were you guys expecting for him? Because if you want a young winger with high upside, your not getting much more than a Sprong type (as the framework of a deal).

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I certainly hope you are joking.

I won't rip on you just in case, and just say yes. Simmonds is worth a 1st...multiple ones.

I often mock suggestions of dealing Bennett because we would be selling low, but I'd think long and hard over Simmonds.

Also, I wouldn't deal Lazar for Sprong. Lazar is primed to have a nice season.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Simmonds is a stud. I would do Bennett and a 1st in a heartbeat.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
There's a misconception with prospects taken really high that if they aren't living up to their draft potential and are sold for less than what a typical vague top 3 or top 5 pick should be worth, they are being sold low.

The Oilers were constantly in a position where their fans claimed it would not make sense to "sell low" on Yakupov for a few years straight until they eventually did sell low on him and got a lot less than what he would have returned if they moved him earlier on. Turns out, they would have been selling high on him the entire time, they just were too attached to his draft position to realize it.

This is more a broad comment on the concept of selling low on a prospect picked high in the draft rather than me directly saying I think Bennett is a bust. If the Flames feel Bennett will live up to his potential or come close to it, they should keep him. But if there are question marks and they choose to move him for something that can help them out, just because he was picked high and his value was higher closer to be drafted doesn't mean they sold low....

...Man do I ever wish the Senators "sold low" on Jared Cowen back in 2014.

Sam Bennett was being used in a third line position to help his development. We still haven't seen what he can do with more minutes.

The Flames take a different approach to development. Look at Jankowski.

Why would we trade Bennett before even seeing what he's capable of.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I often mock suggestions of dealing Bennett because we would be selling low, but I'd think long and hard over Simmonds.

Simmonds is a stud. I would do Bennett and a 1st in a heartbeat.

And that's why I made the offer. I didn't want another lowball offer and it gives Calgary exactly what they need/are looking for.

And yes, Calgary could lose the deal long term. They should because they are winning it short term. That's what a win/win deal is. And now I understand if some don't want to take that possible loss long term. Just like I understand why Flyers fans would say no to taking the loss short term and possibly long term. There is risk involved in both sides.

I fully expect the Flyers to keep Simmonds and re-evaluate where the team is at come trade deadline time. If they are out of it, they could get a great return for him considering he is not a rental and only makes 3.975 million.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I, to put it bluntly, don't quite know what Calgary has got in Bennett. If I were them I would hold onto him and see how he develops. He has the potential to be a really good player.

If Philly were to make Simmons available I can think of a few teams who would make very serious offers to get him.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I, to put it bluntly, don't quite know what Calgary has got in Bennett. If I were them I would hold onto him and see how he develops. He has the potential to be a really good player.

Yeah hopefully the Flames are not as stupid as some of their fans. Not sure why these people keep wanting to deal him

He has much more potential then any value they can get for him at this point

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
No

Lazar/Sprong only makes sense for CGY. Lazar isn't worth much and Sprong is a top prospect. I wouldn't even trade him for Bennett+ tbh.

Good cause it would be stupid for the Flames to trade Bennett for Sprong at this point.

Sprong has done even less than Bennet at this point of their career

firstemperor

May 25, 2011

I think Sprong is overrated too (compared to analogous winger prospects he's brought up with). And it's fair to want to keep Lazar around as a Flame fan (as a reclamation project). But this is a crazy statement to me, maybe for most other non-Flame fans too, albeit I don't like to speak for anyone.

I agree Bennett has a fair amount of value more than Sprong though.

Lazar is not a good player, minimal upside. The 2nd was ok as a reclamation project, but inherently, he's not talented enough to be good piece. At least guys like Nino, Turris had legitimate high-end potential/talent when they were dealt. You could argue Yakupov too. Either way, Sprong is easily one of the better prospects in the NHL, probably the top Pens prospect. That's worth a fair amount more than Lazar in a vacuum.

Again, Lazar is not a good player, I'm not sure what people see in him.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Sam Bennett was being used in a third line position to help his development. We still haven't seen what he can do with more minutes.

The Flames take a different approach to development. Look at Jankowski.

Why would we trade Bennett before even seeing what he's capable of.

"This is more a broad comment on the concept of selling low on a prospect picked high in the draft rather than me directly saying I think Bennett is a bust. If the Flames feel Bennett will live up to his potential or come close to it, they should keep him."

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I think Sprong is overrated too (compared to analogous winger prospects he's brought up with). And it's fair to want to keep Lazar around as a Flame fan (as a reclamation project). But this is a crazy statement to me, maybe for most other non-Flame fans too, albeit I don't like to speak for anyone.

I agree Bennett has a fair amount of value more than Sprong though.

Lazar is not a good player, minimal upside. The 2nd was ok as a reclamation project, but inherently, he's not talented enough to be good piece. At least guys like Nino, Turris had legitimate high-end potential/talent when they were dealt. You could argue Yakupov too. Either way, Sprong is easily one of the better prospects in the NHL, probably the top Pens prospect. That's worth a fair amount more than Lazar in a vacuum.

Again, Lazar is not a good player, I'm not sure what people see in him.

You don't see how a player whose only NHL seasons without Mono were his 19 and 20 year old seasons on some teams with **** poor depth might have more to him?

Lazar was projected around his draft as a power forward middle six center. He has the size, the skating, the compete level, and the hockey sense. Add in a very good shot.

His 18 year old year in Junior he scored at a ~50G/95P pace which would be right in line with his draft spot. I'm not sure Sprong's 18YO season was much better.

He was rushed to the NHL. There is zero doubt about that. On a team with a smart development plan he plays a full junior career and plays big minutes in the AHL as a 1C in all situations until he gets and makes the most of an NHL opportunity. He would still be waiver exempt like Morgan Klimchuk if the Sens didn't rush him.

He had a good rookie year for the role he was rushed into - in fact his coach from that year was probably his biggest proponent for why Calgary acquired him. In isolation his rookie year was better than anything Daniel Sprong ever did in the NHL.

Lazar is unproven. Without a doubt. Ottawa screwed up his development and he has areas he completely will need to work at to achieve his potential.

2016-17 was a total writeoff. Mono. Enough said. His entire 21 year old season.

Shot production is an issue.

But none of that means he is a bad prospect. The issue is he's being treated as not-a-prospect because Ottawa rushed him. He is a prospect. One with 3C or low-end 2C potetential who with a strong offseason could acheive that. He's got a tough out in Calgary down the middle because of Bennett, Jankowski, Backlund, Monahan, and Stajan yet the Flames still see something in him that in their opinion was clearly worth a 2nd round pick - how often do teams trade picks for players who play a position they are saturated in?

Sprong is a great prospect, but he is a winger.
Lazar is for all intents and purposes a developing player. He's a prospect even with all his NHL GP. Flames fans know better than anyone that developing late first rounders into NHL centers is not instant gratification the way it is for wingers lr top ten picks. For a team that needs centers, a winger prospect for center prospect trade makes sense. Lazar could flourish with Pittsburgh's wing depth and defensive depth. He is not a finished product but he's still a lot better than the mono-struck player he was last year. A 22 year old (developmentally more like 21) 3C or 4C with all the tools and a great head on his shoulders.

No Lazar is not proven. Neither is Daniel "2 goals in 18 games" Sprong. The NHL is a tough league. Centers, Defensemen, and Goaltenders take more time than wingers.

Sprong put up 2 PPG in the Q as a 19 year old. What's to say Lazar would not have if he were not playing in the NHL? Bennett? He did 2PPG in the OHL as an 18 year old yet Penguins fans want us to add for Sprong.

Prospects always look prettiest in Junior. Hit the AHL or NHL and get much better? But the numbers aren't there so you suck now.

Lazar for Sprong really does make sense for both sides. But optics of hockeydb scouting make it seem like one team is trading a shiny unblemished kid for a bust.

In reality a team that needs a center to anchor its PK and third or fourth line could do a lot worse than a kid who was part of an excellent 3rd line as a 19 year old rookie, who still has a decade of growth ahead of him.

As for Bennett? He too was rushed. Not to the extent of Lazar, but there were less options for him. He was too good for Junior on a team that wasn't challenging him to play a structured pro game and too raw to play center in the NHL. Ideally he would have played in the AHL as a 19 year old C and then last year would have been his rookie season with a full year of pro-level center play under his belt. But that wasn't allowed under the CBA. And he is coming along. Offers like Hornqvist and the like are honestly embarassing for the kind of upside he has at such an important position. Honestly I wouldn't trade him for many wingers (Wheeler under long term contract being the only exception) period. He's not a winger and he's not going to be traded for one. Flames are not stacked at center right now - the growth of Bennett (/Jankowski) is by a reasonanle margin our best bet into becoming a perennial contender.

Last edited:

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
I certainly hope you are joking.

I won't rip on you just in case, and just say yes. Simmonds is worth a 1st...multiple ones.

nah - not with only two years left on his contract.
A Simmonds locked up for 5-7 years is worth a lottery first

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad