Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building - Locked in until July

Status
Not open for further replies.

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
Of all the guys on my list I would trade Brassard was not one of them.

There's definitely value, but I don't think Sheahan is at the same level as a healthy Brassard.

I dunno, maybe there's a good trade there, but I don't see it immediately.

sovietsanta87

Jan 3, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
I guess that if you're really confident Sheahan is good enough to be the 3C we want - and you get a really good haul - its an option.

Although, okay, the smoke's out there that Brassard's a possible trade, so guess you gotta consider it. But...

a) Who is this guy?
b) Still unsure it makes sense.

Although - and I forget who floated it - but Patches for Brassard, both extended:

a) Can the Habs get a better centre with Patches?
b) Would an extended Patches make people happy with moving Kessel for mainly futures? What are we realistically giving a UFA pending Patches that works for everyone, cap wise?
c) Is Sheahan good enough to be the 3C of the three line attack of Rutherford's dreams?

Feels pretty mad.

TSN’s site saying Bergevin is listening to offers for Domi. We may still get him. Although they would need to send more than Domi to get brass from us. Note they also hold four second round draft picks

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
If they really trade Brassard before even giving him a solid amount of regular season games. I'm going to lose all faith in management.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I guess that if you're really confident Sheahan is good enough to be the 3C we want - and you get a really good haul - its an option.

Although, okay, the smoke's out there that Brassard's a possible trade, so guess you gotta consider it. But...

a) Who is this guy?
b) Still unsure it makes sense.

Although - and I forget who floated it - but Patches for Brassard, both extended:

a) Can the Habs get a better centre with Patches?
b) Would an extended Patches make people happy with moving Kessel for mainly futures? What are we realistically giving a UFA pending Patches that works for everyone, cap wise?
c) Is Sheahan good enough to be the 3C of the three line attack of Rutherford's dreams?

Feels pretty mad.

Sheahan didn't exactly light it up playing on the 3rd line, did he? Saying Brassard "doesn't fit" after coming off an injury is knee-jerk and is also badly overrating Sheahan.

I don't think trading Brassard is mad or a knee-jerk reaction. There are options in terms of filling out the remaining center spot on this team, assuming we can re-sign Sheahan to a reasonable cap hit (or move him too and add a similar player). Other teams that need a first or second liner may not like the UFA options out there at center, but for a team that already has Crosby and Malkin?

What if JR really is gunning for Tavares? It's already out there. Maybe it is more than smoke. Maybe Tavares REALLY wants to win, to the point where he would be willing to sacrifice to come here? Obviously, Brassard is not a fit if we are making that pitch. There are backup options too, in case Tavares is not an option or chooses to play somewhere else. Thornton for a season or two? Bozak, Stastny, other trade possibilities, maybe the draft, etc.

I don't think he should be afraid to deal Brassard, especially if there is a desperate team out there (and there are).

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Jimmy Murphy is a hack, don't believe a word he says. He's as credible as eklund is, he just doesn't hide behind an anonymous account.

Brassard isn't being traded, people. JR paid way too much for him way too recently to just give up on him like that. It would be a horrible knee jerk reaction to him playing injured in the playoffs. Sheahan isn't good enough to replace Brassard.

Last edited:

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I don't think trading Brassard is mad or a knee-jerk reaction. There are options in terms of filling out the remaining center spot on this team, assuming we can re-sign Sheahan to a reasonable cap hit (or move him too and add a similar player). Other teams that need a first or second liner may not like the UFA options out there at center, but for a team that already has Crosby and Malkin?

What if JR really is gunning for Tavares? It's already out there. Maybe it is more than smoke. Maybe Tavares REALLY wants to win, to the point where he would be willing to sacrifice to come here? Obviously, Brassard is not a fit if we are making that pitch. There are backup options too, in case Tavares is not an option or chooses to play somewhere else. Thornton for a season or two? Bozak, Stastny, other trade possibilities, maybe the draft, etc.

I don't think he should be afraid to deal Brassard, especially if there is a desperate team out there (and there are).

The idea of the Penguins going after Tavares is the wishful thinking of NHL 18 GMs around here. Thornton, Bozak, and Stastny would all cost too much to be 3rd line centers. Again, more NHL 18 GMing.

I'm not against trading Brassard if the return is right. But I am against trading him if the result is going back to Sheahan as a 3rd line center.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
He's under contract, so if JR doesn't want to move him or won't move him unless the return is fair, that's too bad for Brassard.

Oh I agree, but if this rumor is credible (and there's certainly no assurance of that) it may not be the Pens that got the rumor started.

Being the 3C on the Pens isn't some dream job. It actually kind of sucks, especially for guys with offensive talent.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Let's remember how hard it is to acquire talented centers. We paid a 1st, top goalie prospect, and Cole (likely worth 2nd+4th at deadline) for Brass. A lot of teams want top 6 centers so maybe someone will give you more than you paid, but JR is going to then have to turn around and use other assets to fill the hole again.

I'm not saying no to trading Brass, but if you do, it will be one of several moves needed.

Reactions: Riptide

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Jimmy Murphy is a hack, don't believe a word he says. He's as credible as eklund is, he just doesn't hide behind an anonymous account.

I believe this... but I think mackey has said brassard is a piece in play. And we all know Rutherford is Rutherford.

And that Montreal are crazy for centres. It's all plausible enough, even if it comes from a hack.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Oh I agree, but if this rumor is credible (and there's certainly no assurance of that) it may not be the Pens that got the rumor started.

Being the 3C on the Pens isn't some dream job. It actually kind of sucks, especially for guys with offensive talent.

It depends on the player's skill set, his wants and needs, his demeanor, his status in the league, his contract...lots of factors.

If we're talking about an offensive player (for the most part), with no chance of playing on the top PP unit, who is not an automatic to kill penalties, and who is one season away from UFA status? Then yeah, I think being the No. 3 center on the Pens might really suck for Brassard.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
There's no better 3rd line center out there or we'd get back. His playoffs was disappointing but he was flying and cycling well. His wingers weren't doing much and he couldn't finish. Roster is fine. Only move that would be acceptable and make the team better immediately is Letang or a Letang/Sheary package.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Here's the problem with trading Brassard: Brassard has a cap hit of $3 million. To make trading him worth it, you to get a replacement 3C better than Sheahan that is cheaper and cost controlled for longer than Brassard is. Who on Montreal is that? Danault is the closest to that, but he's a RFA right now and will likely make more than $3 million.

Danault and Lindgren for Brassard is what I'd demand if Brassard is going to Monteal, getting Lindgren gives you a green light to trading Jarry without worrying about your goalie situation. I'd only make this trade if Danault is willing to sign long term at close to $3 million, too.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Sheahan did spend most of the season scoring at a big ES pace tbf. He's maybe not got a kessel friendly game - maybe - but he's a very credible 3C with the right guys.

Imo, any sensible Brassard trade hinges on trusting Sheahan. Or Danault I guess that kinda kills the potential benefits to me.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Bobby Mac was saying that Kovalchuk is holding up the trade market for scoring wingers.

We might have to wait til he agrees to sign with a team to see if JR is going to do anything with Phil.

Dude will likely milk it too knowing that. I'm just not a Kovy fan. Unless he wants to sign here for uber cheap.

I'd trade Brassard for Lehkonen+.

He's Young and will be cost controlled. LW, PKs, defensively sound and will score around 20 goals, all 5v5 or SH.

I'd totally be on board with Lehkonen. I'd also be on board with Gallagher. Maybe Brassard+Sheary for Gallagher? Lehkonen+2nd for Brassard+3rd would be a good deal for both sides.

TSN’s site saying Bergevin is listening to offers for Domi. We may still get him. Although they would need to send more than Domi to get brass from us. Note they also hold four second round draft picks

That's a tough trade for us with Montreal for Domi. Don't think there's anything there but to be honest, there's a couple trades with Montreal that I can think of. They are an interesting trade partner.

Sometimes I wanna watch the world burn so...

Price+Domi+3OV for Murray, Brassard, Hunwick, Sheary.
No not really. Lolz. Bamboozled again!
Bergevin is listening to offers on the guy he just traded for? That dude is a weird (bad?) GM.

The goal is to always make your team better. If you get an offer that you feel makes your team better, who cares if you just traded for him?

What if someone comes in and offers a 1st+2nd for him? Given their state, they do it.

Has Komarov completely lost it? Or did he just get lost in the shuffle in TOR this past year?

Combo. He'd be a decent 4th liner for cheap for us but I don't think he goes cheap...there's the issue.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Sheahan did spend most of the season scoring at a big ES pace tbf. He's maybe not got a kessel friendly game - maybe - but he's a very credible 3C with the right guys.

Imo, any sensible Brassard trade hinges on trusting Sheahan. Or Danault I guess that kinda kills the potential benefits to me.

The only potential benefits for the Penguins trading Brassard in my eyes is pulling off a more cost controlled 3C that is better than Sheahan.

Reactions: Shockmaster

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012

So in other words, there's no benefit to trading Brassard right now.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
With Galchenyuk apparently playing center in Arizona, I believe this could make one of Dylan Strome or Christian Dvorak available from the Coyotes. Either would be a nice fit here if Brassard is traded. With news that St. Louis is going hard after another center this summer, a guy like Ivan Barbashev would be a nice get for us. Just some examples of younger center options.

I think the fact Sheahan can move up if required gives JR options, and we could bring in a younger guy and start him on the fourth line with potential to move up ahead of Sheahan.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I honestly wouldn't be that upset if they decided to trade Sheahan's rights, assuming they could use the saved cap space elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad