Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building - Locked in until July

Status
Not open for further replies.

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017
Oh I agree, it is way to soon to start discussing firing Sully. I just don't view him as irreplaceable. Another season of head-scratching decisions, then yes, he will be on the hot seat. But until then, I guess he can run players out of town that don't buy into his bs.

-The guy is 9-1 in the playoffs. And he made the biggest call ever in sitting Fleury down and putting Murray in to win 2 cups. 75% of the Pittsburgh fanbase was like a fired up bees nest a long with the Pittsburgh media. He made the biggest call with Matt Murray in the playoffs. Sid had no voice with his long term friend Fleury being benched.

Reactions: sovietsanta87

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
What do people think JVR is going to get this offseason? If we could squeeze him and Comeau in we could run:

Guentzel Sid Hornqvist
JVR Malkin Kessel
Hagelin Brassard Sprong
Comeau Sheahan Rust

JVR is not someone I'd want. Lazy one way player..no thanks.

And he's gonna cost alot, like 7+ mil.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
What do people think JVR is going to get this offseason? If we could squeeze him and Comeau in we could run:

Guentzel Sid Hornqvist
JVR Malkin Kessel
Hagelin Brassard Sprong
Comeau Sheahan Rust

How on earth do we squeeze in a $6MM winger?

Edit: Sorry it's been answered above.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I view JVR as a player who puts up meaningless points. Like Vanek. I don't see his value come playoffs.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
If we had not re-signed Hornqvist, I could see the value in bringing in JVR. But both on the same team seems redundant to me. Both would need to play in front of the net on the first PP unit to maximize their ability, their contract and their overall value.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Bobby Mac was saying that Kovalchuk is holding up the trade market for scoring wingers.

We might have to wait til he agrees to sign with a team to see if JR is going to do anything with Phil.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah, isn't JVR a net front guy who's incredibly soft? That's not exactly a great combination to have. If the Penguins are targeting a LW, they have to look for younger and cheaper than JVR.

Interesting thought, could anyone see JR dangling Jarry to try and get into the 1st round? You could probably get a late 1st for him pretty easily, I think.

AltDess

Jun 19, 2009
Pens active in trade talks, Brassard possibly on the block

Can tell you with certainty right now, that #Pens are very active in trade talks. As @pghhockeyNOW reported, they missed out on Max Domi, but they've got plenty more going on. Will not be surprised at all if Derick Brassard is moved.

Montreal interested?

Regarding #Pens F #DerickBrassard, count #GoHabsGo as a team interested in acquiring him.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

Can tell you with certainty right now, that #Pens are very active in trade talks. As @pghhockeyNOW reported, they missed out on Max Domi, but they've got plenty more going on. Will not be surprised at all if Derick Brassard is moved.

Montreal interested?

Regarding #Pens F #DerickBrassard, count #GoHabsGo as a team interested in acquiring him.

huh, interesting. Who is this guy?

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012

Montreal interested?

Given the state the Habs are currently in, do they really want to be trading for a player with 1 year left on his contract? They aren't competing for a Cup anytime soon.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Given the state the Habs are currently in, do they really want to be trading for a player with 1 year left on his contract? They aren't competing for a Cup anytime soon.

But would it shock you to see them do something dumb?

Anyway...I'm keeping Brassard unless an overpayment...picks don't interest me for Brassard, keeping a 2C who is our 3C at 3.5 million is the smart play. Yah he is a UFA but we're probably at our best season to win a cup going forward.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011

This is Bergevin, of course he's in, I assume Brass would be extended. Max Domi watch #2. And it does not surprise me Brassard is being mentioned, his camp could have led the charge on that. He can't be looking forward to playing 15 a night and PK'ing in a contract year.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Yeah, isn't JVR a net front guy who's incredibly soft? That's not exactly a great combination to have. If the Penguins are targeting a LW, they have to look for younger and cheaper than JVR.

Interesting thought, could anyone see JR dangling Jarry to try and get into the 1st round? You could probably get a late 1st for him pretty easily, I think.

If we could get a 1st for Jarry...wouldn't it be better off trading him for a NHL player who can help us this season? I don't think he holds a 1st round pick value though. And he is our safety net incase Murray gets hurt, so does trading him make sense? He looks like a future starter, At worst a good backup.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC

Obviously, Jarry is not untouchable and a move into the first round would be great. And we could always draft another goaltender or two late in this year's draft. That said, with Murray still not a guaranteed, etched-in-stone SIXTY-game goaltender because of all of his little nicks and ailments, I'd like to keep Jarry and move someone else if at all possible.

DeSmith is 26 and one year away from UFA status, and D'Orio is the only other goaltender in the system. It is food for thought.

Montreal interested?

This seems like a no-brainer to me, and I've thought about a potential Brassard to Mtl deal for some time now. I suspect they are in on Ryan O'Reilly first, but Brassard is another option. Brassard was our No. 4 center by the end of the season, so if we can parlay him into something interesting or perhaps include him in something big, that would work for me.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
But would it shock you to see them do something dumb?

Anyway...I'm keeping Brassard unless an overpayment...picks don't interest me for Brassard, keeping a 2C who is our 3C at 3.5 million is the smart play. Yah he is a UFA but we're probably at our best season to win a cup going forward.

I would prefer they keep Brassard too. He was starting come on before he suffered the groin injury in late March, and it was pretty easy to tell he was never 100% for the playoffs. It would be way too knee-jerk to give up on Brassard given his track record. And it's not like Sheahan had a great playoff either despite the myth that he was the far superior player. Sheahan had a break away goal in Game 4 against the Flyers during garbage time and made a nice pass in Game 6 in the same series. That was about all he did.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
This is Bergevin, of course he's in, I assume Brass would be extended. Max Domi watch #2. And it does not surprise me Brassard is being mentioned, his camp could have led the charge on that. He can't be looking forward to playing 15 a night and PK'ing in a contract year.

Yup, and it might even be worse than that. He was not entrusted with PK duty last season, even though we could have really used him there when Rowney went down and we started using Guentzel and Aston-Reese there. That is pretty telling. Also, Sheahan played on Line 3 ahead of him in the playoffs.

I don't think Brassard fits here, and I think maxing out on his trade value in a center-starved league one season before he hits UFA status is the best course of action.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I guess that if you're really confident Sheahan is good enough to be the 3C we want - and you get a really good haul - its an option.

Although, okay, the smoke's out there that Brassard's a possible trade, so guess you gotta consider it. But...

a) Who is this guy?
b) Still unsure it makes sense.

Although - and I forget who floated it - but Patches for Brassard, both extended:

a) Can the Habs get a better centre with Patches?
b) Would an extended Patches make people happy with moving Kessel for mainly futures? What are we realistically giving a UFA pending Patches that works for everyone, cap wise?
c) Is Sheahan good enough to be the 3C of the three line attack of Rutherford's dreams?

Feels pretty mad.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Yup, and it might even be worse than that. He was not entrusted with PK duty last season, even though we could have really used him there when Rowney went down and we started using Guentzel and Aston-Reese there. That is pretty telling. Also, Sheahan played on Line 3 ahead of him in the playoffs.

I don't think Brassard fits here, and I think maxing out on his trade value in a center-starved league one season before he hits UFA status is the best course of action.

Sheahan didn't exactly light it up playing on the 3rd line, did he? Saying Brassard "doesn't fit" after coming off an injury is knee-jerk and is also badly overrating Sheahan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad