Salary Cap: Salary Cap Crunch Part 4: The Hawks Won the Cup... and a $71.4 M cap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
2 years would be fine. The Hawks really don't have any major contracts in 2 years except for TT.

A bridge deal would make allot of sense... 2-years 10 million - done!

Even better, his ceiling is 4m. None of his comps got a 5m bridge. If he's set on 5m then he's going to get resigned for 4-6 years.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Marcus Kruger was in the top 9 in TOI in the playoffs. he is much more than "just a 4th liner"

Yes, he's also a PKer and good faceoff guy.

Vermette, Bickell, Versteeg, and Vermette were in and out of the doghouse, opening up Kruger for more shifts because Q trusts him (another good quality). I'm not sure that happens again with 4 forwards of comparable talent again, seems kind of fluky given his reg season usage. If Vermette did what he was supposed to do, does Kruger get as many faceoffs/shifts, especially against Nashville for example?

Again, I've always defended Kruger. He's an effective 4th line center that has played above his cap to this point. His cap hit is about to change.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Yes, he's also a PKer and good faceoff guy. .

He is a great PKer and a great faceoff guy.
He also eases the pain from Toews by taking most of the defensive zone faceoffs. You can't just trade him away, you give him a reasonable deal for both parties. It may not be a great cap hit for this coming year, but if it's long enough (say 4 years), it will pay off in a couple of years when the cap goes up.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
If he signs at 4 for 2 years the Hawks should have no problem. That would obviously give them a lot more flexiblity....

The Hawks need Oduya back....

Hammer taking 4.1m could help bring Oduya back as he'll have less of an problem with taking a smaller raise imo.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
He also eases the pain from Toews by taking most of the defensive zone faceoffs. You can't just trade him away, you give him a reasonable deal for both parties. It may not be a great cap hit for this coming year, but if it's long enough (say 4 years), it will pay off in a couple of years when the cap goes up.

He doesn't ease that much pain from Toews in one area, he's not wearing anybody down for Toews. They still need another physical center between 1C and 4C. While Kruger is outstanding at what he does, what he does is limited so they shouldn't be looking at a big commitment to a 4th line guy.

For very limited offense and no physical game on a team loaded with young and non physical players, it's going to be really tough for him to earn a cap hit north of 2 million.

Kruger is worth 2.5 million on his own in my opinion.

Kruger should not worth 2.5 million to Chicago unless there is another solid defensive and physical center at 2 or 3C. He doesn't fill enough holes for 11-14 minutes a night in a cap crunched year.

I guess I should just wait to see his cap hit. If it's 2 x 3yrs, I'll be very content as long as they clear about 10 million in cap space (or get discounts to make the difference).

I will say I think it's great to see Kruger get so much positive recognition. He's an outstanding player, it's almost a shame that offense alone commands so much cap space for gms.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL

I agree with everything you say about Kruger but He's not worth 3 million... Not when you have Danault ready at 850k. 2.25 is a lot when you're in a cap crunch.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I feel like Hawks are in a peculiar spot because they can sell off some assets and reap some pretty good returns and try to build a second core, or they can continue down the road with most of the core ex Sharp and try to piece around it again. You're looking at potentially losing Sharp, Seabrook, and Shaw in back to back years because of the cap.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
One thing about Kruger and faceoffs. He wasn't anything special at the dot in the postseason. He had plenty of rough games at the dot and he had 2 wings good and helping out more often than not. That may not be the case next year.

I have been impressed about how well he's improved in that area.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
If 3 million is the price for Marcus Kruger, then you pay 3 million and ship off a Versteeg or a Shaw to make the room.

He's too important.

It's hilarious reading people discount him as 'just some 4th liner'. He's not some 5-8 minute a night energy scrub. He is the pillar of our shut-down line. He sees top competition and the toughest starts on the team, and he flips the ice a ton from that position. And he's done it with a rotating cast of linemates, ranging in experience and skill level.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
If Saad wants more than 4m on a bridge then he's gotta take 5m-5.5m on a Bjugstad like extension.

here come the

Mar 25, 2013
If 3 million is the price for Marcus Kruger, then you pay 3 million and ship off a Versteeg or a Shaw to make the room.

He's too important.

It's hilarious reading people discount him as 'just some 4th liner'. He's not some 5-8 minute a night energy scrub. He is the pillar of our shut-down line. He sees top competition and the toughest starts on the team, and he flips the ice a ton from that position. And he's done it with a rotating cast of linemates, ranging in experience and skill level.

Sometimes. Two regular seasons in a row he sees average competition. A little bumped up in the playoffs, but for instance his TOI% comp was nearly identical to Vermette. Taking that many d-zone draws is hard, but his offensive game is lacking. Can you afford to pay 3 million for limited offense, a negative outcome in the playoffs (@ ES at least), and ultimate sacrifice/willingness to what it takes to win? It's a fair question.

scarchelli

Aug 19, 2014
Confused as to why people are already ready to let kruger go for danault. You do realize danault wont just magically jump into center. Q and the hawks FO don't do stuff like that. Kruger has the experience (and 2 cups). He'll be signed and him ad danault will rotate as 4c. Teuvo was supposed to be the 2c years ago. Then they realized he wasn't ready so they got richards, who has much experience.

here come the

Mar 25, 2013
Confused as to why people are already ready to let kruger go for danault. You do realize danault wont just magically jump into center. Q and the hawks FO don't do stuff like that. Kruger has the experience (and 2 cups). He'll be signed and him ad danault will rotate as 4c. Teuvo was supposed to be the 2c years ago. Then they realized he wasn't ready so they got richards, who has much experience.

Except, you know, with Marcus Kruger. Or Shaw after 30 games.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL

If Kruger wants 3m then you go with Danault for 850k.... Besides, Danault is NHL ready. The kid is what? 22? He is ready to take the next step.

I like Kruger but not for 3m.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL

He's too important.

Sounds like you just described Frolik. And the Hawks somehow won a Cup without him. If Danault replaces Kruger, that probably won't be much of a factor in whether they win another Cup with this group or not.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Sounds like you just described Frolik. And the Hawks somehow won a Cup without him. If Danault replaces Kruger, that probably won't be much of a factor in whether they win another Cup with this group or not.

They were willing and able to move Frolik, because they had Marcus Kruger.

Kruger had played in the NHL for 2 full seasons at that point (well, one and a half thanks to the lockout).

That's a massive difference from losing a proven shutdown C and banking on a rookie with basically zero NHL experience to handle the toughest starts against strong competition in the NHL.

scarchelli

Aug 19, 2014
Except, you know, with Marcus Kruger. Or Shaw after 30 games.

Who did kruger replace? Honestly dont remember. Point is, a vet is going to get preference over a rookie, especially at center in this organization. If kruger wasnt here, danault could come in and TRY to be a legit 4c but point is, kruger is available.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
They were willing and able to move Frolik, because they had Marcus Kruger.

Kruger had played in the NHL for 2 full seasons at that point (well, one and a half thanks to the lockout).

That's a massive difference from losing a proven shutdown C and banking on a rookie with basically zero NHL experience to handle the toughest starts against strong competition in the NHL.

Well you spend a first round draft pick on a player, and at a certain point you need to throw him in the fire and see how it goes.

There is no solution to the cap woes that doesn't leave a question mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad