Saginaw Spirit 2023-24 Season Thread (Part One)

Status
Not open for further replies.

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
6-2 Spirit win. Nice, establish the lead, dominate, never give the opponent a chance to get into the game. That is what I seek in a championship driven team. No theatrics, no nail biters.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
6-2 Spirit win. Nice, establish the lead, dominate, never give the opponent a chance to get into the game. That is what I seek in a championship driven team. No theatrics, no nail biters.
You do realize the game was over before it started.
The Attack, playing 3 games in 3 days, chose to rest their 17 yr old starting goalie, figuring they had a better chance to beat Peterborough today.
Having lost confidence in their 19 yr old goalie, they threw in a Jr b gone they signed last week .

George will start today .

P.S. you're welcome. Easiest two points you'll get this season .

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
You do realize the game was over before it started.
The Attack, playing 3 games in 3 days, chose to rest their 17 yr old starting goalie, figuring they had a better chance to beat Peterborough today.
Having lost confidence in their 19 yr old goalie, they threw in a Jr b gone they signed last week .

George will start today .

P.S. you're welcome. Easiest two points you'll get this season .
Did not know that, was only commenting on past Saginaw efforts where they fall behind and then make a heroic comback.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Did not know that, was only commenting on past Saginaw efforts where they fall behind and then make a heroic comback.
Make no mistake, the Spirit dominated from beginning to end, except for a pp goal, and a few shifts from our top line . They exposed all our flaws last night .

Well played. Now go beat Guelph today, and return the favour ! 😀

donjohnson

Jan 29, 2013
Are you watching the games or just reading box scores? Even against the better teams they've played lately they've often dominated the 1st period with time of possession and are typically close to double the shots on goal. I haven't seen any sleepwalking from this team... Sometimes pucks hit posts, hot goalies or whatever... I just don't buy your narrative of "we're spotting them a lead" like they're doing it on purpose so they can prove they can come back.

If anything, it's nice to see these comebacks because it shows that they are a team who is not going to give up and they have the confidence that they can come back if they are down.

Do I wish they scored early, controlled the game, stayed out of the box and win every game comfortably... Of course I do, who wouldn't... But that's not real life and when they play Kitch/Soo/London in the playoffs it's going to be close and we may even (God forbid) get down early and it's not because we're spotting them a lead it's because we're playing good teams and sometimes they score goals even when we're trying to stop them.

twinsdad

Dec 1, 2014
Grand Rapids
I will say, being at the Brantford game, the Spirit dominated possession. But Brantford's goalie was just on fire. We even failed on a 5 on 3 for 30 seconds in the third period, he was that good.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Brought it up in Parekh's draft thread but will post it here too:

Since the trade deadline, when the team took it's current form (24 games), we are +17 in the 3rd/OT and are out shooting the opponents by about 10.5 shots per game. The formula is clear. Wear teams down with possession. And when they are close to gassed, let the depth take over.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Information requested, please.
Got our tickets for Memorial Cup. These OS fans are excited to be attending !

Do you know if any hotels will run shuttles to the rink ?
We are staying at Wyndham Suites nearby .

Reactions: nelli27

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
The formula is clear. Wear teams down with possession. And when they are close to gassed, let the depth take over.
Interesting. Hasn't played out that way vs. the Soo. In 2 post deadline contests 3rd period shots are 20-10 for the Soo. Not sure if we will meet in the post season, but if we ever did it would be an exciting series with both teams playing a similar style hockey.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Interesting. Hasn't played out that way vs. the Soo. In 2 post deadline contests 3rd period shots are 20-10 for the Soo. Not sure if we will meet in the post season, but if we ever did it would be an exciting series with both teams playing a similar style hockey.
Yeah if they meet it’ll be 7 games

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
Regarding my sarcasm
Are you watching the games or just reading box scores? Even against the better teams they've played lately they've often dominated the 1st period with time of possession and are typically close to double the shots on goal. I haven't seen any sleepwalking from this team... Sometimes pucks hit posts, hot goalies or whatever... I just don't buy your narrative of "we're spotting them a lead" like they're doing it on purpose so they can prove they can come back.

If anything, it's nice to see these comebacks because it shows that they are a team who is not going to give up and they have the confidence that they can come back if they are down.

Do I wish they scored early, controlled the game, stayed out of the box and win every game comfortably... Of course I do, who wouldn't... But that's not real life and when they play Kitch/Soo/London in the playoffs it's going to be close and we may even (God forbid) get down early and it's not because we're spotting them a lead it's because we're playing good teams and sometimes they score goals even when we're trying to stop them.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
What a fantastic time to be a Saginaw Spirit; 1st place, Memorial Cup, ginormous economic impact on Saginaw County. Make sure your visitors know about nearby Frankenmuth ( I prefer Zenders). Cannot wait to come down for my first Memorial Cup Games.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
And with the win tonight, Saginaw sets a new record for most wins in a season (46) in Spirit history. We'll see if they get to 50.

Logosarejusttargets

Jan 3, 2023
What a fantastic time to be a Saginaw Spirit; 1st place, Memorial Cup, ginormous economic impact on Saginaw County. Make sure your visitors know about nearby Frankenmuth ( I prefer Zenders). Cannot wait to come down for my first Memorial Cup Games.
Frankenmuth is honestly an overrated tourist trap- it's a bit "kitschy" for my taste.

Logosarejusttargets

Jan 3, 2023
It is a tourist trap as is Niagara falls and other touristy locations. But it is not overrated in my perspective. I enjoy going there when I can.
NF sucks too - don't get me wrong. I am not sure what the appeal of frankemuth is to be honest, but hey different strokes for different folks.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
NF sucks too - don't get me wrong. I am not sure what the appeal of frankemuth is to be honest, but hey different strokes for different folks.
I'm desensitized to it as a former resident to the surrounding area but I get it. The whole quant Bavaria in Michigan appeals to families. Although they are missing the castle. Will have to move the one in GR over. We don't want it. lol
castle.jpg

donjohnson

Jan 29, 2013
The appeal of Frankenmuth is that your wife can go shopping while you drink a lot of beer and if you both like either of those, you can do them together!

Frankenmuth has lots of specialty festivals throughout the year and that's what brings tons of people in...Dog Bowl (competitive dog events), Snow Carving, Bavarian Fest, World Expo of Beer, Huge Car Show and many more.

I'm not a big Frankenmuth fan but that's because I live nearby and don't want to mess with the crowds. That said, they have some sneaky good (non-chicken) restaurants like SlowBones BBQ, Poblanos (Mexican) and my new favorite Flavors (Jamaican). Not sure how a Jamaican restaurant will survive in Frankenmuth but I hope it does because it was GREAT.

Slap Shot Rick

Apr 1, 2015
The appeal of Frankenmuth is that your wife can go shopping while you drink a lot of beer and if you both like either of those, you can do them together!

Frankenmuth has lots of specialty festivals throughout the year and that's what brings tons of people in...Dog Bowl (competitive dog events), Snow Carving, Bavarian Fest, World Expo of Beer, Huge Car Show and many more.

I'm not a big Frankenmuth fan but that's because I live nearby and don't want to mess with the crowds. That said, they have some sneaky good (non-chicken) restaurants like SlowBones BBQ, Poblanos (Mexican) and my new favorite Flavors (Jamaican). Not sure how a Jamaican restaurant will survive in Frankenmuth but I hope it does because it was GREAT.
I tell people all the time that are lots of other good places to eat in Frankenmuth. Our two favorites are Tiffianys and T-Dubs.

BThumme

Oct 2, 2023
The defense in OT was completely suffocating, kind of nice to see for once. That was sure something.

All the Answers

Jan 19, 2020
Only caught the last 3 mins of 3rd and overtime. 100% that was a textbook intentional offside. Saginaw got very fortunate officiating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese