Saginaw Spirit 2023-24 Season Thread (Part One)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steagle4Life

Apr 28, 2023
Have a feeling he's going to be Haight2.0 and really take a nice jump in output with the Spirit
Haight 2.0??? Are you nuts?? Have you seen this guy play?

He's great at draws, and a respectable two way guy, but he is at his ceiling. Nowhere near the ability of Haight.

Let's be serious here, he is the teams 4th line centreman with grit to allow them to move MacNamarra which they should have done last season when he asked to be traded.

If Drinks doesn't fix the D soon this team will be a .500 team and out in the first round of the playoffs leading to an eventual MEM cup embarrassment.

Reactions: dirty12

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022

He's great at draws, and a respectable two way guy, but he is at his ceiling. Nowhere near the ability of Haight.

Let's be serious here, he is the teams 4th line centreman with grit to allow them to move MacNamarra which they should have done last season when he asked to be traded.

If Drinks doesn't fix the D soon this team will be a .500 team and out in the first round of the playoffs leading to an eventual MEM cup embarrassment.
Yes he is not like haight but i was just referring to point production. Realistically could see an uptick in points being on a better team but either way is a solid depth piece

Last edited:

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON

That's a steep price for a 4th line centreman

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Very steep price imo, but I think he will see top 7-8 TOI because he will very likely be their 2nd best defensive centre

Saginaw can get at least half of what they paid next year at the deadline if they decide to sell off to restock. Meanwhile we just added a top 5 face off guy in the league to PK that’s one of the tops in the league. We don’t need him to put up buckets of points, just shutdown opposing top lines

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Very steep price imo, but I think he will see top 7-8 TOI because he will very likely be their 2nd best defensive centre
I don’t think it’s really THAT steep. Maybe a touch but they can recoup most of that maybe even all of it next year if they want. Plus he’d be the best defensive C on most teams (at 18yo no less) except Sapovaliv is an absolute beast. All anybody has to do is pull up the ‘22 WCF and watch a 16yo Hay be tasked with shutting down Wyatt Johnston. He didn’t win that battle but considering how incredible Wyatt was that year it was pretty impressive.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Saginaw can get at least half of what they paid next year at the deadline if they decide to sell off to restock. Meanwhile we just added a top 5 face off guy in the league to PK that’s one of the tops in the league. We don’t need him to put up buckets of points, just shutdown opposing top lines
He will aggravate and if need be fight whoever needed all the while smiling too. He’ll take cheap shots and not complain to the refs and very rarely get caught retaliating.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I’m sure they could recoup more than half trading him next season; but if he’s a rental, why not wait a bit see if Ludwinski becomes available, or just pay something like 2-4ths for Lefebvre.

It seems a bit cocky of the spirit to pay for upside when hosting the memorial cup this season.

Reactions: Section5Petes

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I don’t think it’s really THAT steep. Maybe a touch but they can recoup most of that maybe even all of it next year if they want. Plus he’d be the best defensive C on most teams (at 18yo no less) except Sapovaliv is an absolute beast. All anybody has to do is pull up the ‘22 WCF and watch a 16yo Hay be tasked with shutting down Wyatt Johnston. He didn’t win that battle but considering how incredible Wyatt was that year it was pretty impressive.
Hay was excellent for a 16 yr old, good for a 17 yr old. He has another very good season ahead of him, maybe a superb OA season.
But Hay would not be the best defensive centre on most teams this season. He is tiers below Beck, Sapovaliv, Arnsby. I’d take Podolioukh at a significant discount over Hay as a rental. Lefebvre & Podolioukh could probably be had significantly cheaper.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Would make sense as you’ll have misa and parekh next year too
However it’s definitely a very puzzling move when you guys are hosting mem cup this year. Maybe they flip this guy as part of a bigger deal to land a bigger fish lol?

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
I think it was an overpay, but you see the reasoning. Obvious being he's only 18. Saginaw will get 2 possibly 3 years out of him.

He had 28 points last year so you hope he can be a 40-50 PT guy this year, then near PPG next year.

He's one of the better 2way, gritty, face-off centers in the league & now they can throw out Sapovaliv then Hay down the middle late in games to win draws, check, kill penalties etc which won't show up on the scoresheet but it'll be HUGE in those big games. Let's other guys focus even more on offense, too.

Like I said bit steep for my liking as he isn't a prolific scorer & that's usually what that many picks costs, but I do like the player & fit a lot. Not like SAG is low on picks now too lol. Still loaded.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Hay was excellent for a 16 yr old, good for a 17 yr old. He has another very good season ahead of him, maybe a superb OA season.
But Hay would not be the best defensive centre on most teams this season. He is tiers below Beck, Sapovaliv, Arnsby. I’d take Podolioukh at a significant discount over Hay as a rental. Lefebvre & Podolioukh could probably be had significantly cheaper.
Yeah you can get them for cheaper because they aren't as good of a player and are a year older.

Reactions: bcspragu

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Yeah you can get them for cheaper because they aren't as good of a player and are a year older.
Older would be the reason. Though I would not be surprised if Hay looks better in Saginaw than Flint, Lefebvre & Podolioukh are the better OHL players at this time.

I’ll guess you have not watched two games for either of the IceDogs or Petes this season.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Hay looked like he was just going through the motions in Flint. Hopefully, he will play better and with more energy with all the capital we traded for him.

E27914

Sep 9, 2021
I think it was an overpay, but you see the reasoning. Obvious being he's only 18. Saginaw will get 2 possibly 3 years out of him.

He had 28 points last year so you hope he can be a 40-50 PT guy this year, then near PPG next year.

He's one of the better 2way, gritty, face-off centers in the league & now they can throw out Sapovaliv then Hay down the middle late in games to win draws, check, kill penalties etc which won't show up on the scoresheet but it'll be HUGE in those big games. Let's other guys focus even more on offense, too.

Like I said bit steep for my liking as he isn't a prolific scorer & that's usually what that many picks costs, but I do like the player & fit a lot. Not like SAG is low on picks now too lol. Still loaded.
It may seem a fair amount but Hay is an versitile player he can play wing, center and defense. He played all 3 positions throughout his minor years. It is one of the reasons he is so defensively minded. If you watch some of the games in the last 2 seasons Dent utilized him on the back end a number of times when short D or when D were struggling.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Older would be the reason. Though I would not be surprised if Hay looks better in Saginaw than Flint, Lefebvre & Podolioukh are the better OHL players at this time.

I’ll guess you have not watched two games for either of the IceDogs or Petes this season.
Hey it’s not just me. People that watch these guys on a nightly basis seem to prefer Hay as well. Got second for best on face offs and defensive forward in the west at 17. Didn’t see either of the guys you believe are better mentioned.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Hey it’s not just me. People that watch these guys on a nightly basis seem to prefer Hay as well. Got second for best on face offs and defensive forward in the west at 17. Didn’t see either of the guys you believe are better mentioned.

Hay’s progression seems to have slowed. He is not at the level that I thought he could be after an impressive playoff showing for a 16 yr old; whereas, Lefebvre & Podolioukh have really elevated their overall play imo.

Reactions: HF92

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
However it’s definitely a very puzzling move when you guys are hosting mem cup this year. Maybe they flip this guy as part of a bigger deal to land a bigger fish lol?
Having a player who can win face offs is a key element to a teams success in the playoffs. Peterborough had three of the four top two centres in face off win percentage last season. Owen Beck and Tucker Robertson were one and two in this category and Jax Dubois was tied with Danny Zhilkin for third.

Reactions: dirty12
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad