Saginaw Spirit 2023-24 Season Thread (Part One)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Ah, gotcha. I thought maybe you had an inside man and were actually going to know what was said behind closed doors.

From where I sit, Fullerton was not going to be a viable backup this season with championship aspirations. I figured bringing in Lalonde was just a way of shoring up that backup position. If Oke stumbles, Lalonde might get a chance. But starter is probably Oke's to lose at this point. Not sure much more needs to be said to Oke at this point.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Ah, gotcha. I thought maybe you had an inside man and were actually going to know what was said behind closed doors.

From where I sit, Fullerton was not going to be a viable backup this season with championship aspirations. I figured bringing in Lalonde was just a way of shoring up that backup position. If Oke stumbles, Lalonde might get a chance. But starter is probably Oke's to lose at this point. Not sure much more needs to be said to Oke at this point.

Lalonde has a very impressive rookie campaign in Erie, however it seems his development has stalled. Hopefully a change of pace will allow him to regain his impressive play from 2 years ago, if so, you have one heck of a backup goalie.

Reactions: HockeyPops

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Will be interesting to see what they say behind closed doors to Oke...he's played very well so far this year and now he has someone breathing over his shoulder. I'd hate to see him suddenly feel like the team doesn't have any faith in him when he's looked so comfortable in the first three games.

EDIT: After seeing we got a 7th rounder too, I guess this is a no-brainer...we basically got him for free.
Have to think it was along the lines of “You’re our number one. This doesn’t affect that. We’re in this for the long haul and we want to make sure you’re going to be be 100% come May.” They don’t have to use him 55 games of the year. He can go for 40 or so and not be worn down by the time playoffs start.

Reactions: Bra Wavers

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
ICYMI: Ticket packages for the public for the memorial cup are on sale NOW. Most of the seats in the middle are gone. Ends and corners have openings.

Slap Shot Rick

Apr 1, 2015
ICYMI: Ticket packages for the public for the memorial cup are on sale NOW. Most of the seats in the middle are gone. Ends and corners have openings.
I think many of the seats in the middle are being saved for the four teams in the tournament.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Curious to see what Saginaw does to solve their offense issues...I get that a W is a W but 2 goals against Flint isn't the best...
It's 4 games in. You can't say there's offensive issues yet. They played well last night (when they weren't on the PK). Day was also playing well for Flint.

donjohnson

Jan 29, 2013
Curious to see what Saginaw does to solve their offense issues...I get that a W is a W but 2 goals against Flint isn't the best...
They hit a bunch of posts last night and as others mentioned, they took a lot of penalties. I thought in the 5on5 situations that they completely controlled play and were significantly faster to 50/50 pucks. Thank goodness we're a strong PK team because we sure needed it last night. Most of the calls were legit and just didn't need to happen.

donjohnson

Jan 29, 2013

Not sure what was said behind closed doors but with Lalonde watching from the bench, Oke went out last night and put on a stellar performance. Only goal was a PP following some good saves on the 5on3. Been very impressed with Oke thus far...his goals against continue to drop 4.63 (17yo), 3.45 (18yo) and now 2.02 (19yo). Of course the team is better in front of him now but it's clear to see why the USA team has picked him the past two tournaments.

Reactions: HockeyPops

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
I was at the game in oshawa,(oshawa fan) I was looking forward to seeing Misa for the 1st time, he looked like he was playing injured from the start and did not see him in the 3rd, maybe he should not of been playing if he had a injury or sick prior to the game. Hope all well.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Misa out for the game today. Wasn’t able to listen to the game last night. Did he leave injured?
My buddy talked to him after the game last night. He’s definitely injured. Didn’t look like anything serious though. Was pretty pissed off he wouldn’t be able to play today

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Rough weekend but even though they’re off to a so so start, they are doing things right. For the most part, they’re out shooting their opponents, winning face offs and have a great PP. I’m sure it’s frustrating but if they keep that up, they’ll break through this mental barrier.

Smithsy

Oct 20, 2023
With all of the draft picks Saginaw has at their disposal, what is the best use of those picks based on the teams need? More of an upgrade in net? A top D? More scoring? It is tough to get a read on this team based on the season so far. Looking at the roster I would think adding an elite D would be a target.

donjohnson

Jan 29, 2013
Right now I would say that we're fine in net...Oke has been very good in the games we've seen at home (he's the 6th best GAA but it's early) and getting Lalonde means we don't have much of a dropoff in the games he's not playing.

I think that the Spirit really need an upgrade at defense and they need speed to replace what they lost in Mitchell Smith from last year. So far, again it's early, guys like Mancini and Forgione have shown that they're still the clutch and grab defensemen they've been the last 2 years and they're going to take penalties which is how we'll lose games.

Forward-wise, right now we seem to be generating offense and speed but the goals aren't going in. I expect that we'll bring a player or two in but I don't think the answer is do it now. Watch, I say that and I'll check X and there will be a trade announcement.

I do think that the defensive acquisition should happen sooner rather than later but the cost for that will be higher since you're getting them for longer.

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
I do think that the defensive acquisition should happen sooner rather than later but the cost for that will be higher since you're getting them for longer.
I think acquiring earlier than later is beneficial as come trade deadline all the prices are jacked up with teams in bidding wars, just look at what Beck cost us and the value he is bringing us for said cost

This is a very odd year with so many teams seemingly not in a sell position right away too, I gather the trade market won't heat up until Christmas when teams start figuring out the direction they're going in

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Right now I would say that we're fine in net...Oke has been very good in the games we've seen at home (he's the 6th best GAA but it's early) and getting Lalonde means we don't have much of a dropoff in the games he's not playing.

I think that the Spirit really need an upgrade at defense and they need speed to replace what they lost in Mitchell Smith from last year. So far, again it's early, guys like Mancini and Forgione have shown that they're still the clutch and grab defensemen they've been the last 2 years and they're going to take penalties which is how we'll lose games.

Forward-wise, right now we seem to be generating offense and speed but the goals aren't going in. I expect that we'll bring a player or two in but I don't think the answer is do it now. Watch, I say that and I'll check X and there will be a trade announcement.

Drinkell recently did an interview where he basically eluded to the fact that he wants to bring someone in early.

Like others have said, puck moving D is priority one. Maybe they swing for Ty Nelson in the next few weeks? Luca D’Amato would be cheaper but has been effective for the Gens.

After that anything else would be deadline deals. Bring in one more quality D and a top 6 F.

Billyjack

Aug 25, 2018
Kitchener -Waterloo
With all of the draft picks Saginaw has at their disposal, what is the best use of those picks based on the teams need? More of an upgrade in net? A top D? More scoring? It is tough to get a read on this team based on the season so far. Looking at the roster I would think adding an elite D would be a target.
How about Brzustewicz( a good Michigan boy), for 3 2nds and Martone

Smithsy

Oct 20, 2023
Drinkell recently did an interview where he basically eluded to the fact that he wants to bring someone in early.

Like others have said, puck moving D is priority one. Maybe they swing for Ty Nelson in the next few weeks? Luca D’Amato would be cheaper but has been effective for the Gens.

After that anything else would be deadline deals. Bring in one more quality D and a top 6 F.
Interesting interview with Drinkell. Makes sense about making a move sooner than later. D does seems to be the most logical move.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Good back and worth win against London. 4-0 at home. Awesome. 0-4 on the road. Not awesome. Bound to break though soon. Schedule opens up from Oct 28 to the start of December. Lots of game against Sarnia, Erie, Niagara, Flint, Windsor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad