Saginaw Spirit 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJFAN

Sep 17, 2015
Feel bad for Cormier. Top end goalie but just abysmal career playoff #s..11 games, zero wins, gaa over 6 and save % of around .850

The result of squeaking into playoffs and drawing a top team

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
I agree with you ORK, this is that much ballyhoo'd "playoff experience" lots of Spirit fans were seeking. I call it bullshyte. The midseason run was pure over achievement. Cormier has been nothing but a sacrificial lamb for the Soo snipers. The team in general has been badly exposed, some of the high end players in particular. Nothing good has come from this butt kicking.

There is more tnan tweaking needed next year for this team to climb the OHL ladder.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I agree with you ORK, this is that much ballyhoo'd "playoff experience" lots of Spirit fans were seeking. I call it bullshyte. The midseason run was pure over achievement. Cormier has been nothing but a sacrificial lamb for the Soo snipers. The team in general has been badly exposed, some of the high end players in particular. Nothing good has come from this butt kicking.

There is more tnan tweaking needed next year for this team to climb the OHL ladder.
I was gonna click "Like" but I figured it might be misinterpreted. I think you mostly nailed it on the head. As I followed the team and the comments on this board this year, I thought fans definetly overrated the Spirit. In order, I thought 4 of the major reasons for their successes were 1. Cormier 2. Cormier 3. Middleton and 4. Kohn. Two of which are surely gone next year and one that is probably gone. A good portion of the roster are 3rd-4th liners with little upside I think. Now on the OTHER hand, I thought Blade Jenkins was a overrated Daddy's boy who quit the NTDP because Daddy wasn't coaching anymore and he wasn't getting ice time....and he was dirt for about a dozen games before he shoved those words down my throat. I still think Central Scouting has him ranked a little bit high but he is the REAL deal and has 2 more years to grow and develop. He's gonna be a monster. As a Flint fan what concerns me about Saginaw is their youth, mass of future draft picks and their ability to sign Busdecker and then pull Jenkins and Goldowski from the NTDP. I don't think they land Wilde but they've shown they can get the U.S. Kids to report. Combine those factors and the future still looks pretty damn good. Might wanna grab a coach though. This series isn't gonna look so bad when the Soo rolls other teams the same way in the next rounds. I think there is potential for them to possibly, maybe...MAAAYBE get beat by Sarnia or Kitchener if Culina stands his head or even OS if they could ever get goaltending but if the Soo makes it to OHL Finals I fully expect them to dust the East champ in a similar fashion.

Reactions: Old hound

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Now on the OTHER hand, I thought Blade Jenkins was a overrated Daddy's boy who quit the NTDP because Daddy wasn't coaching anymore and he wasn't getting ice time....and he was dirt for about a dozen games before he shoved those words down my throat. I still think Central Scouting has him ranked a little bit high but he is the REAL deal and has 2 more years to grow and develop. He's gonna be a monster. .

To be fair on Jenkins he didnt quit the USDTP due to ice time. He was always coming to Saginaw after year one, scouts from other teams have mentioned as much to me and he even showed up to rookie camp (didn't participate in on ice activities) after his draft year. More likely the inverse was happening, he was getting shit ice time because USDTP knew he was leaving for the O.

Purely speculation on my part but I assume he signed USDTP for the year to avoid certain teams in the draft and fall to an American club.

Gouin Street

Jan 9, 2014
S.S.Marie
Never quit attitude with this Saginaw Spirit team. This young team gained some playoff experience matching up with a team who was predicted to win by many. It's difficult for any 8 seed to upset a 1 seed. But their effort and ethic stood out. Future looks bright in Saginaw with so many expected returnees. Enjoyed watching this team, especially Jenkins, Katic and of course Porco and Baber.

Reactions: Fischhaber

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
− Quo
Never quit attitude with this Saginaw Spirit team. This young team gained some playoff experience matching up with a team who was predicted to win by many. It's difficult for any 8 seed to upset a 1 seed. But their effort and ethic stood out. Future looks bright in Saginaw with so many expected returnees. Enjoyed watching this team, especially Jenkins, Katic and of course Porco and Baber.

I agree, and was there tonight in front of a sadly light crowd. The Spirit played well, with a glimpse of the teams potential future. Need a great draft and a full set of playable Euro picks.

s...

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI

Wait are you saying there was a light crowd in Saginaw tonight? They had 4100 tickets sold. Ottawa tonight had 2000 and Guelph only had 3100 for a series with local rival Kitchener. Outside of London Saginaw has had some of the better attendance this post season

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby

Our last two drafts have been solid l hope Turcotte and Wilde are on DD's to do list. This years draft is suppose to be as well. So add two imports, 3OA's and three 02's. Sets up for a competitive battle just to make the club for the guys on the bubble better train hard plenty of new bodies. Next season they have to start to make the team better as we have a good crew but additions will have to be made.

Reactions: Fastpace

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
To be fair on Jenkins he didnt quit the USDTP due to ice time. He was always coming to Saginaw after year one, scouts from other teams have mentioned as much to me and he even showed up to rookie camp (didn't participate in on ice activities) after his draft year. More likely the inverse was happening, he was getting **** ice time because USDTP knew he was leaving for the O.

Purely speculation on my part but I assume he signed USDTP for the year to avoid certain teams in the draft and fall to an American club.
I can certainly believe that. USA Hockey and the NTDP clearly have an NCAA bias. If I'm not mistaken there's a pretty hefty buyout tag though. $15,000 after one year I believe I read. If that was his and his parents plan it was a pretty expensive one. Either way, it worked out for you guys and him it looks like.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
I can certainly believe that. USA Hockey and the NTDP clearly have an NCAA bias. If I'm not mistaken there's a pretty hefty buyout tag though. $15,000 after one year I believe I read. If that was his and his parents plan it was a pretty expensive one. Either way, it worked out for you guys and him it looks like.

I'm not sure how the buyout works anymore. There was talk that was the case, however when I think it was Max Jones left for London after one season there was some talk that the players only have a year to year commitment now and when Jenkins was picked our GM in an interview said that he was committed to the USDTP for that season and could come any time after.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
We know TS wasn't our first choice because of the Carbery situation. Has to be a coach that can turn things around and get this group of maturing players to develop into a contender. It starts with good coaching and do you think TS will be better next season?
The returning players 8-99's next year we only had Mids as our only senior. Good bunch of 00's 9 I believe. Wilde will be a 1st Rd pick and DD has to get him to sign. Mids back as an OAer maybe draft Daniil Chayka 5th overall in a prfect world Turcotte signs as well.

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
I like the way you think Finster8.

Let's hope that Detroit drafts Wilde, then he will show up for sure!

I personally don't think TS is the coach for this young team. He was a last minute left over coach that came on board when all other options weren't available. Well, now those options are available to get a good quality coach. Open up the wallets, get a high end coach that respects players and players respect him, and watch this team go deeper into playoffs and get some of that money back to the team. TS is not the guy! Do your homework DD and Garber!!

John789

Apr 1, 2018
You fans need to do some homework on hockey. Youngest team in the league made the playoffs with not a lot of skill. Lost their best player for last 2 months and missed out on 6th place by 3 points or so? The drafting has been horrible on this team for years. Trades worse. 2 players combined for 150 points and we get nothing back . Of course id like to see the team do better but complaining about getting beat by the sault cmon, how can anyone take you serious

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
John 789,
Nice start with that first post telling us we "need to do some homework on hockey". Thank you for sharing with us what we already know about the Spirit and its less than stellar history. I have been around the game as a player at higher levels, and have also coached in that environment. Fifty years worth of "homework", so please don't come in here with your first post and dump on those here.

Now, back to point, there isn't a poster here that believed, in all honestly, that the Spirit were going to win this series. The general grousing deals with poor play towards the end, coaching methods ( or lack of ), and where the team is headed.

There, now that I have unloaded, a salty welcome aboard, and hope to hear from you again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Finster8

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Swoopster, I couldn't say it any better than that.
With the talent we have it's time to make this a winning team all we need is a respected, experienced leader. I didn't like the TS move at the start and hope DD can find someone. Lazary needs his chance to HC or someone else that can turn this into a place that wins more than loses.

John789

Apr 1, 2018
I don't understand how DD gets off the hook on here. Horrible drafting and trades. PP was awful we can all agree on that. This is a young team that played well and ran out of gas. For a while they were tied for 4th. I think too much negativity towards the team and not enough to the upper ranks.

Reactions: swoopster

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
You would think DD better due something this summer to insure we get better. The team loses 3-OA's and maybe Mids but the rest are returning. The time is over for rebuilding every year and actually use some of the built up draft picks to acquire some key assets. How long will fans settle for mediocrity without heads rolling. The nucleus has not been this good for some time.o

John789

Apr 1, 2018
Team needs to get a home ice seed next year and win a round at least. Then year after make a run for the title.

Eamon5

Sep 1, 2007
I’m not sure how your GM thinks giving up a 3rd and a 7th in what is said to be a very deep draft, plus a 6th next year for a 2nd 3 years from now is anything close to a good trade. Wow!

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
I’m not sure how your GM thinks giving up a 3rd and a 7th in what is said to be a very deep draft, plus a 6th next year for a 2nd 3 years from now is anything close to a good trade. Wow!
The 3rd Windsor is getting is from Barrie NOT Saginaw.

Spiritnorth

Apr 3, 2018
Here's my perspective on this transaction. Saginaw cannot loose. They already have an abundance of draft picks available this year and next year and with the leagues strongest youth movement, full of undeniable talent, why continue to draft players that won't even play. I commend the management group on being so progressive and insightful. Saginaw has been meddling in mediocrity for to long and the management currently in place is finally moving this organization forward. The acquisition of a 2nd round pick in 2021 will allow flexibility in the pursuit of acquiring valuable, proven assets when this team is going to make a serious run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad