Saginaw Spirit 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
The team was playing well enough up to the trade deadline to deserve a much more impactful addition or two than what they got. That had to have sucked for the players. Fail on the GM for that.

How absolutly true. At that time the Spirit were the talk of the OHL!

Coach has lost the players , same game plan every night, dump the puck , skate hard , get lucky and maybe get a shot on net , dumping the puck is a turnover every time at this level , control puck make plays , but you need skilled hockey players for that , we have hard workers and great character which never wins championships

On so many levels lack of coaching is being exposed. Particularly on the power play. Six months to work on a unit that is stifled by a basic 4 man box. No effort to incorporate off wing shooting concepts, perhaps adding a playmaking forward as 2nd defenseman on pp unit 2. The final killer is ice time...the concept of young players, particularly your 1st and 2nd lines being on the ice for 1 MINUTE is lost on this coach. Don't even get me started on goalie rotation.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Honestly, I think you guys started out slow, overachieved for about 25-30 games partly due stellar goaltending and have come back to reality. Spending picks on another player wouldn't have gotten you guys any farther in the playoffs this year. It would have just decreased your assets. If Saginaw wants to improve next year and they lose Middleton they're gonna need to spend a bunch of those assets to replace him and Cormier. There's some really solid young pieces and a lot of draft picks in the cupboard. Don't you wanna see them spend those assets when that young core is really ready to make a go at it?

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Coach has lost the players , same game plan every night, dump the puck , skate hard , get lucky and maybe get a shot on net , dumping the puck is a turnover every time at this level , control puck make plays , but you need skilled hockey players for that , we have hard workers and great character which never wins championships

Hard working dump and chase teams have given the Greyhounds a lot of trouble at times this year, particularly Windsor and Sudbury. They have had an easier time with teams like Kitchener and London that try to play possession and aren't very good at it.

I think Saginaw had the right strategy, but a bad start got them behind and poor execution didn't help either.

Reactions: Old hound

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
This is what happens when proper coaching and development are involved with a young player!! It was a great move for him to get out and develop. This must burn the other 99's!!! Over the past couple of years our young players have not been developed due to poor coaching and some really bad GM moves. Congrats Maksimov

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
When you see the same pattern with a coach, for example, playing the same guys nite in nite out etc. and it's crippling seeing it twice now (Kitchener) his first tenure as a HC. If TS is back next season it will be much of the same. DD needs to find a coach that can get the job done and is a proven winner.
Spirit have some good young talent but realistically we have 1 4th year player while that has to be the lowest in the league. IMO when this is the case it's hard to play against teams with ample senior talent. Let's hope the team has a good finish and give 100% in the playoffs. Cormier will steal a game or two. As long as it isn't SSM.​

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
Anyone know if Gilmour is dressing tonight? With a record of 6 wins in the 23 games he's been injured, this team needs him back to gain some confidence going into playoffs.

With Guelph taking a win last night, Windsor playing Erie tonight, and we have London, it is looking like Soo trips are in the plans!!

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
Anyone know if Gilmour is dressing tonight? With a record of 6 wins in the 23 games he's been injured, this team needs him back to gain some confidence going into playoffs.

With Guelph taking a win last night, Windsor playing Erie tonight, and we have London, it is looking like Soo trips are in the plans!!
Hey, win tonight, win tomorrow & you’ll have Kitchener. Beats playing Soo. Have to believe!!

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
SSM in 5 if we can get Cormier to stand on his head we might steal a game. It will be excellent for our young guys to gain experience and get some playoff games under their belt. We do not have the depth to overpower the best team in the CHL but these guys never quit.
Gilmour would be a nice addition if he is healthy enough to contribute without causing further damage to his injury.
Our sub .500 record would indicate quite a decline over the last 30 games. Time to give our best and be proud of our development and maturing throughout the year. Jenkins, Everett, Giroux, Grondin, and Goldowski all are eligible for the draft. So you never know who will get picked up in the draft I see maybe 3 getting picked? Good luck with the rest of the season.

jmkrangers

Aug 28, 2012
I've always thought it would be fun though to fill out some sort of CHL playoff bracket but since I've never really found a good way to do it online, I decided to try creating my own for this year. Although it's a bit complicated and not the most user-friendly, there's step-by-step instructions on the website that should help. So if want to give it a try go to: memorialcupbracket.weebly.com

IcemanTBI

Apr 19, 2004
Land of Ice
Looking forward to our first round matchup with the Spirit! Should be a good series! Hope they show the games from Saginaw up here in the Soo.

Btw, I find the color commentator on your TV broadcasts entertaining. Love his reactions after goals! He sounds so sad when Saginaw gets scored on.

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
4-0 after one!

All you Coach Smith lovers out there, including you Drinkill, should be ashamed!! Take a look at the development of the Soo! There fourth line is better developed than our first line! Soo is a classy team, too notch coach, highly skilled team! Pleasure to watch them.

Smith (not calling him coach anymore) and Drinkill, something needs to change! Smiths best and most famous move of 7 second shifts and rolling lines doesn't work against the best team in Canada! Total obvious as to where this team is lacking, behind the bench and management! Feel really bad for the kids on our team. Same thing year after year. Jimmy P we miss you. He wouldn't have this clown as a coach for a week!

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
You know, its about gathering playoff experience...and then witnessing the stark reality of talent, speed and skill staring you right in the face.

The skating skills of these upper level teams and Saginaw is exposed.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
I am not sure what good it does to make the 8th and final playoff spot just to get swept or possibly win one game. I would have rather had a higher draft pick. However, with some of the talent Saginaw has acquired the last couple of years, Iam shocked they are not putting up more of a fight. Hopefully, they will find some magic and on home ice this coming week and even the series.

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
What I don't understand why didn't someone to do something after I think it was Hayden scored that hotdog goal (mind you it was a beauty)Saginaw player should of made him paid the price for doing a hotdog move, it's like pouring salt on an open wound:thumbu:

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
What I don't understand why didn't someone to do something after I think it was Hayden scored that hotdog goal (mind you it was a beauty)Saginaw player should of made him paid the price for doing a hotdog move, it's like pouring salt on an open wound:thumbu:

Saginaw tried to send a message with some overly physical play and stick work that crossed the line, at least in the opinion of the Greyhounds coaches. That's what prompted the hot dog goal in the first place.

Reactions: DWI Dale

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Saginaw tried to send a message with some overly physical play and stick work that crossed the line, at least in the opinion of the Greyhounds coaches. That's what prompted the hot dog goal in the first place.

What physical play during the playoffs well l have never seen that before When you are down a bunch of goals you have to do something. SSM is older and bigger they can handle a little rough stuff.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
What physical play during the playoffs well l have never seen that before When you are down a bunch of goals you have to do something. SSM is older and bigger they can handle a little rough stuff.

Slashes to the face after the whistle and cross checks to the back as a player is getting onto the Hounds bench are more than just physical play. There was obvious intent to injure on multiple plays. There wouldn't have been any showboat goals if it was just a couple of nice checks and a fight or something.

Old hound

Feb 27, 2018
Those are common moves in hockey today. There was no show boating. When someone scores a goal like that you got to celebrate. Have you ever played hockey beyond rec or at all

Sandbag

Nov 17, 2017
Lol
FB_IMG_1522116742274.jpg

Dumpnchase17

Dec 13, 2017

2 things here, I'm not sure why this opinion of the coaches is delivered to a fan. Why is the staff ok with hot dogging with a 6-0 lead? Not sure why something wasn't said.
No its not a normal hockey play when your up by 6 goals. A respectable staff would keep it clean and kill the clock. There are a lot of egos on that team and the game was on the big stage. Sportsnet! That's what it was all about. The excitement and celebration was because it worked.
Feel great about showboating against the youngest team in the league??? Try and sell me that all day.
Why don't you drop the gloves and feel even better about beating up a 16 yr old. Lost a lot of respect

bear6

Feb 20, 2015
2 things here, I'm not sure why this opinion of the coaches is delivered to a fan. Why is the staff ok with hot dogging with a 6-0 lead? Not sure why something wasn't said.
No its not a normal hockey play when your up by 6 goals. A respectable staff would keep it clean and kill the clock. There are a lot of egos on that team and the game was on the big stage. Sportsnet! That's what it was all about. The excitement and celebration was because it worked.
Feel great about showboating against the youngest team in the league??? Try and sell me that all day.
Why don't you drop the gloves and feel even better about beating up a 16 yr old. Lost a lot of respect
Now we are going back to the fight grow up its hockey and they are kids playing a game if saginaw did like it maybe they should try harderto stop the hound from scoring. Its not the hounds job to stop scoring its Saginaw's job to stop them. And being down by six is not unconcivable to come back from didnt you guys do that to sarnia this year

leafsrdue

Oct 4, 2014

Petrus Palmu did the same move in Kitchener last year and everyone in the stands cheered. It's something you don't see that often and should be celebrated.

Reactions: PuckLife

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014

There's nothing wrong with a coach saying that the physical play from the other team crossed the line. Even a lot of Saginaw fans agreed with him. I totally get what the Spirit were trying to do and respect Troy Smith. I also understand that the Hounds want to keep it clean and not have any players get hurt. That's why they chose to run up the score instead of risking injury in a fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad