Saginaw Spirit 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Saginaw 6-2 over Flint and goals, 2 Bollers, Jenkins, Busdeker, Stepian and Coskey. Cormier played solid as usual.
Coming down to the trade deadline I hope we try to improve without messing with the overall chemistry.

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
It would be a great day if Saginaw made a move or two and made the team a bit stronger.

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
l will drink to that. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Any suggestions? As a Spirit and Wings fan, I'd like to see Wings prospects from the Petes come, Gallant big power forward and Fraser, tough defenceman. I'm sure the Wings organization would like them closer too!!

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Any suggestions? As a Spirit and Wings fan, I'd like to see Wings prospects from the Petes come, Gallant big power forward and Fraser, tough defenceman. I'm sure the Wings organization would like them closer too!!

I'd pass on Gallant. I wonder what it would take to get Burghardt out of NB? Quality forward that would be great OA next year.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
Maybe DD is waiting until tomorrow!!! We don't need a big move, but a little move that could help us go deeper in playoffs.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
IMO: A Top 3 forward, 99 or 98........A Top 4 D, 99 or 98.

98 with option for OA I presume? Not someone like Middleton who likely goes to the AHL next year?

I follow SSM, Saginaw and London. Trying to see if there was something that could be done between London and Saginaw if London were to sell.

Seems like Jacob Golden is the only guy who really fits the bill unless you want to lose the guy next year. Golden may not even be available, but I think London will have better guys coming up internally to replace him and getting some picks could be a better deal for them.

If there is interest on both sides, would Golden for Bappert + a reasonable amount of picks work?

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
98 with option for OA I presume? Not someone like Middleton who likely goes to the AHL next year?

I follow SSM, Saginaw and London. Trying to see if there was something that could be done between London and Saginaw if London were to sell.

Seems like Jacob Golden is the only guy who really fits the bill unless you want to lose the guy next year. Golden may not even be available, but I think London will have better guys coming up internally to replace him and getting some picks could be a better deal for them.

If there is interest on both sides, would Golden for Bappert + a reasonable amount of picks work?

Idk. Seems like a lateral move where the net benifit is for London in the form of the picks.

Reactions: BrunoDaBear

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Fair. My thinking was it likely means either Penman or Hill sit in favour of Golden, and that he has enough upside to be worth bringing in. If he sucked, then at the very worst he was a better option than Bappert, but if he turns out goes a long way to replace Middleton and Crawford next year. He was drafted in the 5th round last year in the NHL for a reason. He is a good puck mover, but I think London will just want to try out internal options next year instead and try to get some picks to fill up the cup board.

Oh well, not really a big deal. There does not seem like any other good fits and I would not want to hinder one team I follow to let the other get ahead :laugh:

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario

Why does Golden's name come up when London fans talk trades? There has to some issue with the kid. Knight fans are never in a hurry to move any player with potential usually.

Reactions: BrunoDaBear

BrunoDaBear

Jan 27, 2017
Why does Golden's name come up when London fans talk trades? There has to some issue with the kid. Knight fans are never in a hurry to move any player with potential usually.
Agree, they hold on to the kids with potential but trade away some young players who they prop up as having potential.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

Agree, they hold on to the kids with potential but trade away some young players who they prop up as having potential.

I think it's because they do feel he has a good amount of value since he does play a good game, but because he is not producing as much as expected and there are some good prospects coming up in the same mold (some with some pretty good upside), he can be replaced going forward. I am sure they would love to use their worse players to get what they need, but you have to give to get and this is someone of value they can give to get something of good value back. That is what I am thinking anyways.

At the same time, from the Saginaw point of view, I thought Golden could be someone who could help out now and eventually take Marcus Crawford's role, which are the types of moves I think Saginaw would try to look to make. Just trying to see if there was a deal between two of the teams I follow in the OHL.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
I think it's because they do feel he has a good amount of value since he does play a good game, but because he is not producing as much as expected and there are some good prospects coming up in the same mold (some with some pretty good upside), he can be replaced going forward. I am sure they would love to use their worse players to get what they need, but you have to give to get and this is someone of value they can give to get something of good value back. That is what I am thinking anyways.

At the same time, from the Saginaw point of view, I thought Golden could be someone who could help out now and eventually take Marcus Crawford's role, which are the types of moves I think Saginaw would try to look to make. Just trying to see if there was a deal between two of the teams I follow in the OHL.

Everett will move up to Crawford's slot, Penman up to Everetts and Chet Philips can take Penman's. And we can do that for free. I'd take that option.

And I didn't even include guys in the pipeline like Mason Millman or Joe Kennedy that could easily challenge for spots next year.

Last edited:

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
I'll also add to the defenseman convo that Hayden Davis is quietly having himself a very good year.

Most of the D has really stepped up along with the goalies. Everett I could see as a potential draft pick this year along with Jenkins, Giroux and more.
Davis could be a 2.5 year player he is only getting better with Mids and Crawford gone his role will be very substantial next season.
l hope if DD does something he gets us a 98 or 99 defenceman. We are a little thin from injuries.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Why is everyone so convinced that Middleton is going to go pro next year? I'm was under full belief that he will be back next season as an O/A. The guy is already slow for the OHL, the AHL will tear him apart without significant improvement to his skating. Hell Hronek is even finding it hard to get AHL ice time and he was a light years better player than Middleton.

With the only loss to the blueline other than potentially Middleton being Crawford (who looks like he going going half speed out there most nights). Saginaw will return a pretty good blue line next year.

In no particular order

Middleton (OA)-Everett
Penman-Davis
Phillips-Hill
Bappert

Potentially
Millman-Kennedy
4 picks in the first 2 rounds and 2 import picks if Bappert doesn't return

Not to mention a 98 or 99 dman I assume we trade for at the deadline this year.

Reactions: Finster8

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Why is everyone so convinced that Middleton is going to go pro next year? I'm was under full belief that he will be back next season as an O/A. The guy is already slow for the OHL, the AHL will tear him apart without significant improvement to his skating. Hell Hronek is even finding it hard to get AHL ice time and he was a light years better player than Middleton.

With the only loss to the blueline other than potentially Middleton being Crawford (who looks like he going going half speed out there most nights). Saginaw will return a pretty good blue line next year.

In no particular order

Middleton (OA)-Everett
Penman-Davis
Phillips-Hill
Bappert

Potentially
Millman-Kennedy

Toronto did just return Korostelev for an OA season so Middleton being back certainly wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby

In no particular order

Middleton (OA)-Everett
Penman-Davis
Phillips-Hill
Bappert

Potentially
Millman-Kennedy

I hope Middleton is back just being cautious. Looks good with a possible addition of Reagan O'Grady or another 98 or 99 D?

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
You think it's just a bad year? He is just really struggling. I don't see a lot of points coming from him.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
You think it's just a bad year? He is just really struggling. I don't see a lot of points coming from him.

We've both stated why we think he should stay, or in your case be dealt. Sure we'd get a bit for him but it wouldn't be smart in the least. I leave it at that. I know you feel differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad